1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OpenComposite OpenXR

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by NuScorpii, May 15, 2022.

1. Wilfred de Ruijter

Wilfred de Ruijter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You can do it in the menu of OpenXR. OpenComposite doesn't run system-wide, but OpenXR does run.

2. hb22

hb22 Member

Thanks Chris I was thinking of trying opencomposite but maybe will just stick with Oculus.

That sounds like very good performance, what Rendering Resolution are you using in Oculus ? Please quote the actual resolution (eg 5408x2736) as the multiplier number they show on the slider (eg 1.5x) varies depending on refresh rate. Thanks!

3. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Ie been trying OpenComposite once again and have some better results than before.

I would love to compare my results with others, but for some reason nobody in this topic ever shares their settings? I hope we can change this, because there are so many different thing that can affect performance / quality.

I use a 6900XT with 5800X 32GB mem

Render resolution in OpenXR = 130% (around 3600x3600) If I want 90fps always (daytime, no rain, 25 opponents) I need a FSR setting of 0,6. This means the image is upscaled from 2100x2100 --> 3600x3600. Sharpness is 30. It looks really sharp, sharper than anything I tried before.

However, the weird thing is, when I use SteamVR with OpenFSR 1.1 I use the following settings:
    Steam resolution: 3600x3600 (same as openXR), but here I have a FSR setting of 0,67 so effectively upscaling from 2400x2400, so a significantly higher resolution than opencomposite. However, the opencomposite version does look quite a bit sharper / better.

What settings do people use here? What is your actual resolution that is used and to what is it upscaled?

4. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm using 100% OXR resolution (3k per eye), with FSR 75%, 60% Sharpening. Specs in signature. This does leave a fair bit of headroom in most (normal) situations. Also using MSAA High, but offset the cost of that by using FFR, which unfortunately isn't available for you as AMD cards only support that in DX12 games. Turbo mode enabled. I'm fairly tolerant of dropping below 90 etc, but will usually turn motion reprojection on for night time / bad performance scenarios. Motion reprojection performance won't be great with AMD cards either as the hardware that supports it isn't as good with AMD. Not trying to crap on AMD here btw - VR support just hasn't been a priority for them. 6900XT still a powerful card, so can paper over those issues pretty well.

5. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

You're absolutely right about AMD and VR. Next card is definitely going to be Nvidia, However the motion reprojection works flawless on AMD. Not sure where you got that info off. The issue is more with openxr motion smoothing Vs steamvr smoothing. Steamvr looks way better then openxr there for AMD at least. Steamvr smoothing works so well, I can actually set it to automatic and without any stutter it turns on and off where needed. Butter smooth.

Which card are you using, besides the MSAA,offset by FFR, you have a slightly higher base resolution from which you upscale (2300*2300 instead of my 2100*2100)

Edit: I see you use 3090. Signature does not show on mobile.

6. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

When I say 'Motion Reprojection', I'm referring to the WMR function specifically. SteamVR calls their equivalent functionality Motion Smoothing. Oculus/Meta call it ASW.

The motion reprojection info came from the dev behind the openxr toolkit, so I'm happy to trust that.

WMR motion reprojection likely uses different gpu capabilities than SteamVR motion smoothing, which would explain why you're getting better results with SteamVR.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I think this thread is going to be my best friend for a while, I have a new Reverb G2 and really struggling.
    I tried Open Composite/ XR but got errors and without this tool I don't think my PC is up to the G2
    If anyone has any tips please help.
    Do I need to start AMS2 normally using SteamVR? That is my first problem, I'm sure first of many.

8. morpwr

morpwr Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Dont use steam vr at all. I dont even have it installed anymore. If you search in the forum there a setup guide for ams2 with open xr.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. 2ndLastJedi

How do i get the beta DLL?

10. morpwr

Discord maybe?

11. 2ndLastJedi

I dont get it at all! Im so lost :(The normal AMS2 got its dll added just by starting the game but the beta starts in a squished pancake mode. and performance is awful even on all low settings looking like trash it seems like its about 20 fps using Steam VR.

12. morpwr

Do you mean you are still starting steam vr? You dont need steam vr at all open composite makes it think its starting in steam vr but thats it. Did you find the video on here?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Wilfred de Ruijter

Wilfred de Ruijter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I searched on this forum for the setup guide but couldn't find it. Could you give a link? I'm also struggling with OpenComposite (OpenXR does run, but the performance gets a bit hit without OpenComposite). I get an error (-2).

14. 2ndLastJedi

Thanks mate, my problem was im just trying to play AMS2 Beta, as soon as i tried the other sims including the non beta it works perfectly! I just dont understand why the Beta AMS2 wont work??
    Screenshot (557).png

15. morpwr

• Like Like x 1
  16. morpwr

Page 4 of the general forum high clarity settings down towards the bottom of the page.

17. 2ndLastJedi

Nevermind, I had to change the starts option for the beta manually in its properties.

• Like Like x 1
  18. James Chua

James Chua New Member

Anybody know how to fix this error code?

“geteyetoheadtransform. error code: -16”

19. James Chua

James Chua New Member

Nobody know how to fix this in opencomposite?
    “geteyetoheadtransform. error code: -16”

Works fine in steamvr but as soon as I switch back to opencomposite, it craps out.

20. sdeups

sdeups Member AMS2 Club Member

Well, I tried everything, browsed all the pages here, on forums, YT videos and even the Opencomposite discord, nothing worked.....OpenXR does not work for me with a Meta Quest headset while the others Sims work!