1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OpenComposite OpenXR

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by NuScorpii, May 15, 2022.

1. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Yup, it sucks!

2. A.F.K DaN

A.F.K DaN Member AMS2 Club Member

So, after having performance issues for a very long time in AMS2 VR with quite beefy hardware and testing everything I just found out that OpenXR was my problem. Back to SteamVR and everything is fine again finally.

I've had lots of microstuttering which came from one of the CPU cores (the main one for AMS2), while the GPU was pretty bored, was running at 100% at times or close to at some places. Pretty much tried every other setting before touching OXR itself, no matter what I did nothing did improve the situation and I was on very low settings already in the game.
    The same spot I was having issues before at Taruma were absolutely fine with SteamVR then. That specific CPU core was only sitting at about 75% now and everything was buttersmooth.

Speccs are: 5800x3D and a 6800XT, 32 Gigs of 3200 RAM. G2 HMD.
    That something was really wrong I found out after doing some laps on Long Beach the other day, which I know ran so much better many months ago with much weaker hardware and that was even at night, now I was having so many issues mainly on the final corner but also on other parts of the track. Made me curious in what has changed since back then.

At least, I can finally race AMS2 happily again

• Like Like x 1
  3. Derpaldinho

Derpaldinho New Member

Hey guys this might sound weird but what's the best OpenXR settings to use with a powerful computer?

I just build a new system with a 4090, i7-13700k, 64GB DDR5 @ 6000, HP Reverb G2. I built this mainly for sim racing and am addicted to this game in VR and there's no way I can go back to pancake screens.

Right now the only settings I have changed in OpenXR is world scale to 120%. Besides that every setting is running stock and it looks incredible and hitting 90fps easily. However I'm just wondering if I'm leaving anything on the table and just brute forcing my way to this result.

Anyone with similar specs recommend changing anything. Is it worthwile pushing the resolution higher with a G2? Is there any real world tangible results?

4. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

Is it worthwile pushing the resolution higher with a G2?
    why don't you try it out???
    Your eyes give the fastest and most accurate feedback :)

5. Derpaldinho

Derpaldinho New Member

I did bump up the reso but didn't really notice much difference tbh. But was wondering if any other in-game or XR settings had to be adjusted to make a difference alongside it.

Problem is there are some many combinations of tweaking available and I only have finite time before I just want to start driving again! Thankfully it's winter here in Sydney so I can race all day without sweating in VR like some of our summer days! :)

PS. Great discord server too btw, so many great skins I'm browsing just now.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. RnageyRover

RnageyRover Member AMS2 Club Member

This guy has an excellent setup guide for Reverb G2.

7. Wolfgang Herold

10 lines of text expanded to a 12 minutes movie :whistle:
    And the bad thing, this movie is 6! months old and partly out of being up-to-date
    you don't need ini for open composite anymore. The entry he made can be controlled in "OpenXR Toolkit Companion "he mentions a bit later.
    On the otherside, the resulution you want is setup in the "XR Toolkit for Windows" downloaded from Microsoft Store. This is not mentioned here.
    No good example

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Michael Phillips

Michael Phillips Member AMS2 Club Member

ive used that guy's videos to set up all my sims. he is the best. unfortunately VR setup is not well-documented and changes frequently which does require some amount of critical thinking on the part of the user.

9. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The problem with using Microsoft Store OpenXR Tools for WMR to set the resolution is that it's global. Using the OpenXR Toolkit allows for per-game resolution overrides.
    The setting you no longer need in opencomposite.ini is admitUnknownProps, as they changed the code to make that default. That said, I don't think the hidden mesh setting he shows in the video has any impact in AMS2, unlike ACC where it can get pretty good gains. Not sure about the other changes he made in OXRTK but I haven't tried them or know enough about them to dismiss or agree with them
    At the end of the day, if you've found some settings that run well and make you happy, it's best to stop fiddling and just enjoy the game :)

10. RnageyRover

RnageyRover Member AMS2 Club Member

I disagree, it made a huge difference on my settings, I'm glad he made it. Things change fast in the VR world, but I wish I'd found that earlier.

11. Wolfgang Herold

you are right.
    But Microsoft setting is the base, the toolkit is on top of that.
    If you know nothing about the base settings you're just a point&click ape.
    With big problems if some essential settings change and then searching the net again for "best" settings.
    Trying to understand, what and why is the better way. Reading a manual and using your brain too.

But the essence of my first comment is: why for such few info is a 12 minutes movie needed. For point&click copycats 10lines text and 3 screen shots would have been enough ;)
    Calculate 12 minutes times 12000 views = 2400 hours. Then try to calculate the energy needed for viewing and for streaming. Its just a little drip in the big sea of energy waste, but it is :whistle:

12. Michael Phillips

The gatekeeping and elitism in sim racing is ridiculous. Makes me not even want to engage with any of you.

the dude that made that video did the trial and error process already. I don’t really have the time or inclination to repeat what someone else already did and was kind enough to post on the internet for free. Exiting ams 2 and waiting for it to load over and over while I test settings is not what I want to spend my limited free time doing. It took 6 minutes to watch his video on 2.0 speed and it dramatically improved all my vr sims.

furthermore it’s not that hard to follow along with what he does and why. It’s really not rocket science. The trick is finding the sweet spot between performance and graphics/resolution. Trial and erroring that is extremely monotonous and there is already enough of that to tweak his settings to work on my specific pc.

you act like you’re some kind of genius for reading some documentation. Here’s a new flash for you, the hard part isn’t understanding what’s going on. Anyone with more than a passing interest in pc gaming can do that. The time consuming part (it’s not really hard) is like I said trial and erroring yourself to the right mix of settings. Why would I spend my time doing that when someone else already did?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  13. kune

kune New Member

When I have opencomposite enabled, it takes a very long time to initially launch ams2. Basically nothing will happen on my desktop for 2-3 minutes and then suddenly the game will load. Anyone else have this issue and know of any fix? I launch it through steam.

14. Michael Phillips

i havent noticed that personally. you could try the opencomposite discord as well.

15. MickT

Do you have the 'Prefer frame rate over latency' option enabled in OpenXR Tools for WMR? This can cause delays on startup and shutdown. Changing it does have an immediate effect, so if you find you're in one of these delays, disable it then re-enable once game has launched.

16. kune

kune New Member

Will check, thank you!

I dont have openxr tools installed so I dont think thats the issue. The delay started happening after the last opencomposite update.

17. MickT

Just in case - for clarity, I'm referring to OpenXR Tools for WMR (from the Microsoft Store), not the OpenXR toolkit.

18. sdeups

sdeups Member AMS2 Club Member

A lot of people are talking about the G2, but to this day I still haven't managed to launch OpenXR with my Oculus (Quest PRO) I don't think the Windows application is useful in my case??? Does anyone have an idea, knowing that it works for me on other Simu

19. MickT

Unfortunately, AMS2 ignores your request to start in SteamVR mode if you're on Oculus. Regardless, OpenXR Tools for WMR is of no use to Oculus users, in the same way as the Oculus/Meta software is of no use to WMR / G2 users.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. sdeups

sdeups Member AMS2 Club Member

Ok thank you for your answer, but it must be an openXR problem because with the same helmet it works on other Simus