1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OpenComposite OpenXR

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by NuScorpii, May 15, 2022.

1. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

About the AMD motion reproduction issue with openxr. Uninstalling openxr for windows did nothing. The issue remains.

Tested in daylight without opponents with perfect normal performance. Turning motion reprojection on crushes framerate from 90 to 20. Something very strange is going on for AMD.

Would love to hear about other AMD users with openxr and motion reprojection.

2. Koering

Koering New Member

What I do not get is when OpenComposite gets an update does that not also mean there should be an update to the openvr_api.dll I have to download from the openxr site and to put in the x64 folder of AMS2?
    This file didn't get any updates in months but OpenComposite did. And I have to use this .dll since else AMS2 won't use OpenXR. NO matter what options I use in openXR-Toolkit.

3. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

When using system wide, you don't need any DLL.

4. Koering

Koering New Member

Shodan, thank you for the promising answer, however 'system wide' or 'per app' did never work for me the last two years.
    Perfrect to hear thast it works for you and I will dig into the github page and else to see why it didnt work for me in the 'system wide' way.

5. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

I've been asking for a while now, so sorry for again raising this problem I have.

Are there ANY AMD users out here that use openxr and have tried motion reprojection on? It cuts my fps in 4 (so from fluid 90 it makes it 20 - 25 and it's horrible).

I have tried so many things, deinstalled the toolkit, openxr tools, reinstalled. different settings, but I just can't get it to work.

Just tested this on Dirt Rally 2 and it is giving me the same issues, so it seems to be something with opencomposite / openxr that does not work for me.

Really would love to hear some feedback from other AMD GPU users here.

6. Rintintin78

Rintintin78 Member

HI, what is the difference between Override resolution or NIS? For example, what changes if I choose Override resolution --> display resolution 3310x3826 or I choose NIS 75% (3310x3826)? Which of the two will have the better image quality?

Thanks

7. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

I would expect pushing the rendering resolution rather than down sampling the up scaling would give better results
    I don’t use upscale anymore being NIS FSR or CAS since my 4080super allows me to bump the resolution instead

8. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

CAS in the OpenXR Toolkit doesn't do any upscaling - it's purely for sharpening

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Koering

Koering New Member

Still true?

10. T0mek666

T0mek666 New Member

Okay so I read all 20 pages on this thread, whatched every youtube video, googled everything, and my eyes are bleeding....I keep reading about not needing steam VR, and people uninstalling it bla bla bla...

How the hell do you lauch the games without it starting steam VR? Reverb G2 user here.
    Other than that everything is working great!

THANKS!

11. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

If you have open composite installed and turned on (if you use the system wide version) just start the game and select steamvr version. It won't launch steamvr.

12. T0mek666

T0mek666 New Member

Hi Shodan, that's what I'm doing but SteamVR and WMR are still lauching along w/ AMS2.

Edit - when you say lauch do you mean through steam or this elusive opencomposite launcher I'm reading about? I can't find what / where that is. I'm lunaching through steam and choosing steam VR verison.

Last edited: May 13, 2024
  13. MickT

There's no such thing as the opencomposite launcher. There's just the switcher app that enables/disables opencomposite. If it keeps launching SteamVR even though you have OC enabled try this:
    Close Steam down entirely. This includes making sure it's not still open in the system tray (bottom left of your screen)
    Use the switcher app to disable OC, and use SteamVR
    Launch Steam
    Use the swticher app to enable OC
    Launch the game, choosing SteamVR as the launch option

Also, make sure you've enabled WMR as the active system OpenXR runtime. You can do this in the OpenXR Tools for WMR app you get from the MS Store.

14. T0mek666

T0mek666 New Member

Hi Mick, thank you for the detailed instructions. Prior to reading them I'd un-installed WMR for SteamVR thinking it's making a call to launch SteamVR. That did fix my initial problem but broke my abilty to use my Fanatec Wheel while in VR (desktop still worked). Trying your method seems to have resovled Fanatec Wheel not working. It would appear Steam is sensative to being lauched while OpenComposite is enabled.

One last (I hope question), in OpenCompsite would you have Steam set deafault runtime?

edit - fack still randomly loosing Fanatec Wheel

15. MickT

Not sure I understand the question. If you mean what would I have set in the OpenComposite Switcher App - I would have OpenComposite enabled. Hopefullly this picture explains what OpenComposite is doing. upload_2024-5-13_22-35-53.png

16. T0mek666

T0mek666 New Member

Hi I understand what OC is doing.
    What I'm asking is what default runtime would you have Steam set to in OpenComposite.
    Also, what setting would you have Steam itself set to. (screenshot attached).

Stange why the Fanatec Wheel is intermitantly not working while in VR but fine in desktop mode.

Edit- I re-installed WMR for Steam thinking that might help w/ the Fanatec Wheel not working while in OpenComposite mode (works in desktop and steamVR mode) to not avail.

Now that WMR for Steam is back it, SteamVR continues to launch even with your suggested sequance. Fun!

Attached Files:

17. dryheat94

dryheat94 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

18. T0mek666

T0mek666 New Member

Hi I guess you missed what I was writing and the screenshot. All good.

• Like Like x 1
  19. dryheat94

dryheat94 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

"Edit - when you say lauch do you mean through steam or this elusive opencomposite launcher I'm reading about? I can't find what / where that is. I'm lunaching through steam and choosing steam VR verison"

Well, link is to the "elusive" opencomposite launcher you referred to. Didn't look at screenshot.

Have you tried using the .dll method instead of the OC changer? I always use the .dll method and have no issues.

20. T0mek666

T0mek666 New Member

Well I guess that a part of the confusion, people use all sorts of terms for the same things.
    OpenComposite is not a lancher per se, but a Runtime Switcher.
    When I hear "lancher" I was thinking you can lauch the titles directly from it.

I have tried putting the .dll into the directory and that works more often than not,
    but borks my Fanatec wheel. I'll much around some more thanks mate(s).

PS -
    a) what do you guys have set as the default Runtime in OpenComposite?

b) what do you have Steam set as under "Configure" in OpenComposite?
    1) Always use OpenCompsite
    2) Always use SteamVR
    3) Use Default Runtime