1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OpenComposite OpenXR

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by NuScorpii, May 15, 2022.

1. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The latest version of OpenXR Toolkit (1.1.3) can now be used to set NIS/FSR scaling without losing the menu/hud.

Many thanks to @NuScorpii for the fix.

• Like Like x 9
  2. Dusty Springs

Dusty Springs New Member

I'm trying to optimize my setup as well (OQ2, GTX 1080)....

"For oculus you don’t need it" > What is "it"?
    "Just run in oculus mode and use fov tangent multiplier. At 0.7;0.6" > Run what in oculus mode? The game? And where do you set this tangent multiplier?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  3. strenski

strenski New Member

Hi, I'm trying to run pAMS2Spotter with opencomposit but I'm failing.
    Is it even possible?

Attached Files:

4. ashasha

ashasha New Member

I had this working a few days ago with a G2 and 3090. Now it just opens Steam VR everytime in both ACC and AMS2...nothing has changed, opencomposite is in the same folder as before and it appears to be active according to the toolkit. ACC and AMS2 are even set to use opencomposite as default in the runtime switcher. Kinda frustrating because it looks amazing when working.

Not really sure what to ask or say here. There's a lot of stuff going on in the background to make this work that I don't understand, but it's a pretty simple install. The opencomposite.ini files have not changed.

UPDATE: I got it working by "reinstalling" it to another directory.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  5. MickT

Looks like some people are having issues when SteamVR updates, and it resets everything to use SteamVR instead of OC. Weirdly, I've not seen this issue at all, but here's the discord post from @NuScorpii on how he's addressing it:
    Every time SteamVR gets updated (with OpenComposite using system wide install) all games revert to using SteamVR again instead of OpenComposite. Loading OC and switching back and forth between SteamVR and OC doesn't help. What I have to do is close down SteamVR and Steam, making sure it isn't still running in the tray. Then run OpenComposite, switch to SteamVR and back to OpenComposite, then restart Steam. Steam will then show an error about OpenComposite and app type 6 not being supported. Click ok on that. Steam will close. Restart Steam again and all is now ok.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Man appreciate all the hard work that went into this but ... Yep this is a deal breaker for me. Just tried it out with the NLR Motion Platform and I couldn't deal with the motion compensation software not working with OpenXR. Reached out to NLR to see if they can build a plug in for OpenXR. *fingers crossed*

7. MickT

The OpenXR toolkit devs have said they're looking at doing something with motion compensation, but it's not top of the priority list and it's likely to be something a little hacky involving using the VR controller to track the movement. Overall though, it should be on the motion platform devs to implement OpenXR as that is the 'standard' going forward.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DaWorstPlaya

Yep, OpenXR is the standard. That's why I hope NLR builds a motion compensation plugin for their NLR Platform Manager. I just wish a bunch of Game Devs would hurry up and start using OpenXR natively, so the rest of us don't have to jump through all these hoops to render games in OpenXR.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Got OC up and running last night after some initial issues and asking in their discord for help, I've been using the Toolkit for months with MSFS so I'm well aware of its superb capabilities.

Needless to say it's a Game Changer for me with a Reverb G2 in WMR, initial first impressions and I'm already running 20% higher resolution. Plenty of tweaking to do still, FPS still drops in the rain too much for my liking and it did before but I'll fiddle with the settings one day.

10. clarks35

clarks35 New Member

I am desperately after some help. I cannot get this mod to work. I currently run the open vr 1.0 mod so just using FSR and it works great. Everything runs via steam but I am keen to run open composite so I do not have to use steam. I downloaded the new .dll file and replaced the 1.0 version in my x64 folder. I added the open composite .ini file with the new text. I have downloaded 1.1.3 tool kit. When I then run I via steam I get the attached error msg. I only want to do this on a per game basis and not use the .exe open composite for all games but do i have to do this. I probably need a dummies guide to set this up. Any help is appreciated. For info running a g2 on a 3080. Thank you!

Attached Files:

11. MickT

That error indicates a problem with your opencomposite.ini file. Reading your post, my guess is that you've put it in the x64 folder, rather than one level up, next to the AMS2.exe file. If you read the openvr_log file, it'll tell you where it's looked for the file and if it's found it.

Edit: your picture doesn't show the file, so maybe it is in the right place. Check the actual name of the file, and make sure it's not called opencomposite.ini.txt

Further edit: I can see why people might struggle with this :) As you're doing a per app install, it may well need to go into the x64 folder. Either way, the log file will tell you where it's looking

12. clarks35

clarks35 New Member

Hi thank you for your response. I think i have solved it. i was looking on discord and someone posted the ini file. It was saved as a configuration file whereas mine was a text file but saved as .ini. Also in his file it was =true not =enabled. I have put this in the root folder and all working. I have open composite but not sure if need that running as put the .dll file direct into x64? Up and running now and can open tool kit in game. Just now tweaking settings and if i can run with FSR or no FSR and just use FFR. I have FSR running at 75% and it looks good. MSAA is set to high and all other settings are med/high and holding 90fps sunset and nurberg ring. I am going to try the FFR settings and see what i get but overall I think it looks a lot better than through steam vr but hard to compare when you cannot have them side by side and use FPS VR to monitor it. Thank you again!

Also do I now delete the openvr_mod CFG file from the x 64 file. This was from the original mod where I used FSR and changed the settings here but I am now using tool kit to adust/set FSR? Does toolkit override this or do I delete this or just set it to 1?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  13. MickT

You can delete that openvr_mod config file if you want - the only thing that cares about it is the old dll. Note, the toolkit has an fps counter available, but if you already think it looks a lot better, then that's what's important.

14. clarks35

clarks35 New Member

Thanks. BTW i think it was you Mick T that posted the .ini file on discord that saved me Also I know FSR scales but now I don’t use steam VR I am guessing I change the resolution of the headset in WMR? If thats the case then I am running at 100% res with 75% FFSR scaling and getting great results. Using steam i had to drop the resolution to 70% and then FSR at 67% so this is definitely better. Yes i used the tool kit FPS counter which is a great help.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DaWorstPlaya

Good news to those with NLR motion platforms, NLR has a beta version of platform manager (V1.20.xx) that supports OpenXR and I just tested it. It does work with OpenXR with no issues on the limited testing I did. Hurray!

If anyone wants the beta NLR platform manager that works with OpenXR contact NLR support.

Is there a way to control FSR mode with OpenXR? Does anyone know what quality mode FSR runs at with OpenXR? Eg: Ultra Quality, Quality, Balanced, etc

Given my current setting, I'm actually getting worse performance with OpenXR compared to SteamVR/FSR when I run at similar game resolution (2600x2600). But it may have something to do with the in game settings and OpenXR settings. Because with SteamVR/FRS I can run MSAA medium at 90fps at night, with OpenXR I have to run high MSAA given the limitations mentioned above and I am dropping down to 70fps with the same conditions. Perhaps I'm doing the render resolution incorrectly. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  16. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You can use OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality to set your resolution. You can download it from the Microsoft Store.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. isg530d

isg530d New Member

Hi All,
    finally got opencomposite running with ams2,
    installed the openvr_api.dll into the ams2/x64 directory.

now to openxr tookit V 1.4.

start ams2 and i get a bugsplat error.

if i disable the ams2 in the openxr toolkit then ams2 loads ok.

for those of who have this working, what am i missing.

Edit: now have it working, used the safe mode in the openxr companion app.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. MickT

Pretty sure safe mode just loads it with default settings, so I suspect you had some issue with your previous config. Anyway, it's working now, so that's all good.

19. isg530d

isg530d New Member

So after my attempt to get opencompsite and OpenXr toolkit with ams2 , my success was quickly dimmed.

i have a 3090 gpu and amd 5950 32gb ram.
    with the toolkit enable the gpu max usage is max 20%, and fps max 21-25fps. also in the toolkit these values are nis/fsr disabled.

with the toolkit disabled i easily hit 72fps with the quest 2. gpu is 80+% utilised

So question is , why is my gpu not being fully utilised.

now you may ask why am i even bothering as i get max fps without the toolkit, simply i like to play with these tools.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  20. MickT

My first guess would be that you have motion reprojection (ASW in oculus world) enabled

However, since you like to play with these tools, I don't think I should ruin your fun by speculating further :)