1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OpenComposite OpenXR

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by NuScorpii, May 15, 2022.

1. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

NIS is a Nvdia scaler, I wouldn't think it would work with AMD cards as it runs at the driver level like AMD RSR. I would assume you would want to use FSR on the RX6900xt. I wonder if that is why your performance is lower.

2. Champrt78

Champrt78 Member

Love this mod for ams2, but new to VR and a bit confused
    What is the difference between setting the supersampleRatio= in the .ini file
    and
    setting the resolution in openxr tools ?

3. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Both work and perform similarly, also on AMD

4. JayBee

JayBee Active Member

Hi there,

I like to keep the outer ring in FFR pretty low at 1/16, it doesn't distract me and gives me a nice FPS boost. But, alas, I am getting the artefacts (more evident/worse on some tracks). It seems I need to lower middle and outer to 1/2 to get them to go away completely. Otherwise I can keep middle to 1/4 (my preference) and push outer very far out (at the expense of framerate).

Is this a bug, or a problem with no solution due to some game engine quirks?

Many Thanks!

5. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

If the ini file setting worked, it would be the same, but it doesn't. As you've noticed, you can set the resolution in OpenXR Tools, but that's a global setting. If you use the OpenXR Toolkit you can also set it per-app, as well as use FSR/NIS scaling etc.

6. MickT

As per the initial post in this thread, the OpenXR Toolkit FFR only works 'properly' in AMS2 when the in game MSAA setting is off or high. If it's low or medium you'll find certain textures go missing in the outer radius, e.g. the crowd on the stands. Is this what you mean by artifacts?

7. JayBee

JayBee Active Member

Hi there, thats exactly what I mean, but my MSAA is already on High. I'm also using NIS though. There are horizontal missing lines in crowds, background trees, etc in the outer ring.

8. Champrt78

Champrt78 Member

So the supersampling setting . ini doesn't work? I didn't think it did. Where is the per app settings in the openxr toolkit, I must have missed that .

9. Enagee

Enagee jim joneZ AMS2 Club Member

I have fully transitioned to Opencomposite/OpenXR.
    AMS2, Iracing,Asetto Corsa/Competizione and Rfactor 2 all runing apart from Raceroom.
    No more steam VR!!

Thanks to your thread @NuScorpii

I must say instructions are not straightforward for anyone who hasn't got a clue but with a bit of research, I got a bit more understanding and running.

Anyone with a Reverb G2 advice on the best performance setting on the OpenXR toolkit menu 1.1.4?

10. Champrt78

Champrt78 Member

How does the motion reprojection work? Seems like settings it to automatic in wmr doesn't do anything, it never kicks in? Setting it to on in Open xr, it kicks in sometimes?

11. MickT

My understanding is that 'Automatic' in the OpenXR Tools (not toolkit) only works in Microsoft Flight Sim 2020. It would be nice if it could work automatically, but (and I may well be wrong here) I don't think it's possible at the moment. I'd actually prefer to be able to manually turn it on and off with a bound control as auto can be troublesome if you're just on the threshold and it's bouncing in and out of it. Anyway, manual/auto while a game (other than msfs2020) is ongoing is not possible atm to the best of my knowledge.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Champrt78

Champrt78 Member

Ahhh that solves the mystery.

13. Champrt78

Champrt78 Member

Any ideas on "lock motion reprojection" ? I had motion reprojection on and was messing with the lock and not sure how it works?

Ultimate goal is 90fps at night /rain. Even with reprojection I'd like to be able to run night or rain

14. MickT

Motion reprojection involves creating extra frames 'between' the ones the game produces to give a user experience of 90fps. So, if the game is able to produce over 45 fps, then WMR motion reprojection creates an extra frame per real frame to give 90fps. I say 'over' because some CPU and GPU power is needed to generate this inbetween frame. If the game can only produce between 30 and 45 fps, then motion reprojection will create 2 in between frames per real frame. Of course, it can't all be upside. The downside is that the guesswork between real frames can result in unwanted artefacts, wavy lines etc. as well as introducing latency, which isn't desirable in a fast game like sim racing.

90Hz WMR headsets can operate motion reprojection at 22.5, 30 & 45 Hz - a quarter/third/half of the full 90Hz. The OpenXR tookit allows you to lock that rate regardless of performance as transitioning between them can cause undesired effects like stuttering.

15. Champrt78

Champrt78 Member

So if I set it at 45 and an will I always run at 45, or only when needed?

16. MickT

I think the only way to enable it is to force it in OpenXR Tool for Windows, so it'll always be on as far as I can tell. May be wrong though - feel free to experiment.

17. 0ct0

0ct0 Member

So Good things are coming with AMD, the latest driver releases have finally addressed DX11 performance. The way AMD utilized processor threading was poor and quickly bogged down AMS CPU usage. The new drives are addressing this (late to the party) but there are issues with WMR at the moment meaning you will either get a black screen of severe strobing in VR. If you are lucky it all syncs up first time, otherwise you have to kill WRM and restart it a number of time to get Sync.Usually third time lucky for me.
    But its worth the pain to free up the Threads needed for game Physics etc. and get better frames.

Try and compare

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Yes, the performance has significantly improved!! All the track areas that had stutters in the past are now butter smooth. I still use openfsr and might try openXR. But I prefer the motion smoothness of steamvr for those few instances where it's needed.

Indeed annoying that you need to restart WMR multiple times to get it working properly. Hope AMD fixes that soon.

19. martin mcclsokey

martin mcclsokey New Member

Hi guys app definitely works great (even if ur not tech savy) i cant seem to get sim hub or crew chief working ,any tips on how to get them up and running ?

20. MickT

Do you mean you can't get overlays working? That's because OpenComposite doesn't support SteamVR overlays. This isn't likely to change. However, with iRacing now supporting OpenXR natively, you'll hopefully see CrewChief updated to support it too. In the meantime, if you have a WMR headset (e.g. G2) one alternative may be to use WMR window pinning. This video shows how it's done:

I haven't tried it myself; let us know how you go.