1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OpenComposite OpenXR

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by NuScorpii, May 15, 2022.

1. Edward Teach

Edward Teach Hasteflex

Hi all
    Just getting my head around how OpenXR works before I install it and give it a try ...

So AMS2 still launches through Steam VR but OpenXR overides the settings if active ?

2. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You can read up on OpenComposite and OpenXR here:
    OpenComposite

• Like Like x 1
  3. Edward Teach

Edward Teach Hasteflex

Thanks.. sorted !

4. Jucca

Jucca New Member

Hi all. Please, if anyone know what I'm, missing here. Have installed Opencomposite, added link in *.ini file, done everything written here ( Quickstart ), except WMR stuff, as I own Q2. But can't open config in headset. Ctrl+F1, Ctrl+F2, ... just don't work. This is from Log file:
    [OXRTK] 2022-08-19 19:57:32 +0200: XR_EXT_eye_gaze_interaction is not available from the OpenXR runtime or any upsteam API layer.
    [OXRTK] 2022-08-19 19:57:32 +0200: Application name: 'OpenComposite_AMS2AVX', Engine name: ''
    [OXRTK] 2022-08-19 19:57:32 +0200: Detected OpenComposite
    [OXRTK] 2022-08-19 19:57:32 +0200: Using OpenXR runtime Oculus 1.75.0

5. MickT

A surprisingly common problem is the keyboard not working properly. You can use Keyboard Checker | The best online keyboard tester to confirm if yours is. Also, double check the companion app that you have the keys and modifiers set up properly or as expected.

6. TPS

TPS New Member

I tried OpenXR and as it works fantastic with AC and I see huge FPS gains (3080TI), it works much worse with AMS2. Maybe I did sth wrong as far as placing files in the AMS2 directory or maybe I missed sth. I think I followed all recommendations -

7. MickT

There are loads of old or innaccurate yt videos on how to set this up. Not saying this one is, but I recommend following this guide from the OpenXR Toolkit developer.
    OpenComposite
    The only inaccurate thing in there is that you no longer need an opencomposite.ini file.
    Use the system wide install, rather than manually copying over DLLs to game folders.
    To compare SteamVR to OpenXR performance remember to set the OpenXR resolution %age to the same as you did for SteamVR. You can change globally in the OpenXR Developer Tools or per game in the OpenXR Toolkit overlay app under System->Override Resolution

8. TPS

TPS New Member

I played again with settings and only when I lowered custom resolution to 25% (OpenXR) AMS2 was playable. The quality of the graphics was bad. I have stable 90 FPS with 50% in SteamVR and I stick to it.

OpenXR gives incredible boost in Assetto Corsa. I was never able to drive with 10AI on Union Island without some sacrifices. Now I can keep my setting high and enjoy it.

9. MickT

Ok. Something's not right there, but if you've got it working to your satisfaction in SteamVR, then don't go spending/wasting time on OC/OpenXR. One thing worth checking is making sure you've got HAGS turned off, as I understand that can cause some issues with OpenXR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. RnageyRover

RnageyRover Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi Folks,
    Just got a reverb G2 and got Open XR and Open Composite installed, game starts and runs and I can get the OpenXR menu up in VR.
    I'd like to try these settings.
    I have no idea where to put them in, I thought in the menu but I cant seem to find them
    Here are the settings from the start of the thread.
    3. I have a RTX 3080 + G2 headset there is no need to turn on FSR. If upscaling is disabled (not running FSR) I get great improvements with FFR alone! With FSR disabled the menus/hud still work and I'm running races mostly locked in at 90fps. I'm running mostly high/med graphic settings. With no FSR - there is no more slight shimmering in the distance. There are some tracks and cars in which I had to lower the Resolution. That can be done in the OpenXR menu.

Can anyone hold my hand, give me screenshots, a clue where these settings are?
    I can already see this is an improvement on my system.
    Thanks
    RR

11. TPS

TPS New Member

This was very helpful suggestion - big thank you! HAGS must be OFF to make it work like a charm.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

what is HAGS and how turn it off?

13. sillib

sillib New Member

Its a feature in widows. A simple google search should guide you through it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Enagee

Enagee jim joneZ AMS2 Club Member

HAGS
    Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling

Its in Windows graphic settings

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. MickT

Just one of those features/settings that's supposed to improve performance, but somehow manages to achieve the opposite.....

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Wolfgang Herold

if you think, you're wrong.
    Your Google is not my Google.
    And thank you for nothing. "Its a feature in widows" is a bit off.
    too few WIDOWS in my neighbourhood, and i don't want to get to deep in contact :whistle:
    Screenshot 2022-09-01 225213.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. sillib

sillib New Member

Sorry.. didn t mean to mess it up for you!!
    I just typed HAGS Windows 10.
    I should have been more informative!
    Hope you didn t need to disturb your neighbours!!

Attached Files:

18. Wolfgang Herold

never mind.
    But if you give answers, then please precise and useful. And nice :)
    BTW
    HAGS in german Windows is "Hardwarebeschleunigte GPU-Planung", so maybe called HGP ???
    Not everyone on the world is native english or has an english OS.
    Think of it

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Is the system-wide install of Open Composite needed to get OpenXR toolkit to work with AMS2? I have just added the dll to get Open Composite to work, but cannot get OpenXR toolkit menu to show in Rift S. Tried changing the hot keys, but no-go.

20. Enagee

Enagee jim joneZ AMS2 Club Member

I don't think using opencomposite/XR will be of much benefit if you're using the Oculus platform.. Probably more benefits to using AWS.
    (Oculus Asynchronous SpaceWarp (ASW) is a frame-rate smoothing technique that almost halves the CPU/GPU time required to produce nearly the same output from the same content)

Am sure someone will correct me if am wrong.