1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OpenComposite OpenXR

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by NuScorpii, May 15, 2022.

1. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Oculus needs to be the active openxr runtime for you to get the best out of oc. Forget about OC until you can force AMS2 to run through SteamVR. Once you've done that, and you enable global OC, it should work. OC works by tricking the game into thinking it's using SteamVR.

2. Jean-Yves Mercy

Jean-Yves Mercy Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I also had the problem of the menu not appearing with the default keys.
    Like you, I replaced these keys and now it works.

3. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Did a race today, I suddenly notice lots of random stutters in the middle of the race. I highly doubt these are performance stutters, since the performance should be at it's lowests during the start of the race.

It seems that unfortunately OpenComposite is much less stable than steamVR. It gives better performance, but the sudden stutters make it a nauseating experience.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Nope, still opening in Oculus mode only regardless of whether I select SteamVR or Oculus. Setting OpenXR runtime to SteamVR in SteamVR settings had no effect. Verifying files in Steam had no effect. Before I did the global OpenComposite install I could start in in SteamVR mode, but no longer. Also got the error message below when I started the computer up. So I'm at the point where I just stick with Oculus mode and be happy with that and forget about OpenComposite / OpenXR Toolkit for now or consider complete game reinstall (though doubt that would help). I'm a bit stumped on this one...
    [​IMG]

5. MickT

That OC error can be ignored - you'll always get that when OC is enabled. As for not launching in anything but oculus mode - as I said, I've seen people with this issue, but haven't seen a resolution to it. Might be something to do with if you've linked AMS2 in the oculus launcher, or something linke that. Here's an example of same issue with PC2, I think. When launching Project Cars 2 in VR from Steam, it also uses Oculus SDK

6. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Hmmm, that's all pointing to a game reinstall as the next thing to try...

7. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

So complete game reinstall had no effect. Still cannot start game in SteamVR mode or Open Composite, it just starts in Oculus mode regardless. I was able to get vrperkit to work though without artefacts by setting larger middle and outer rings (0.6, 1.0, 1.6) and got a small gpu benefit so think I'll stick with this.
    But now I have a new problem: crew chief has stopped working in AMS2! o_O

8. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

Turn shared memory on in SYSTEM SETTINGS

9. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Lol, just found that on Google to. Obviously I'd forgotten since I installed this game nearly 2 years ago!
    CC not working in pCars 1 and AMS2

10. Champrt78

Champrt78 Member

Do we need the opencomposite.ini file for ams2 , I think I have been running without it, not sure what differenceit makes when I use it? Does it give any performance boost? Or make things look different/better?

11. MickT

No need for that file any more. It was required in earlier versions, but not now.

12. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Anyone with the G2 using Foveated Rendering in the OpenXR Toolkit and suffering from "stuck" areas on the edges? For example in MSFS it's fluid, if you really go looking for it you can see the blurred edges, but in AMS2 (when driving) the very outside areas seem to hold the frame (i.e. get stuck) so you can visibly see the circular edges and it's very off putting.

I've tried various size changes but nothing seems to work just right, which is a shame as it helps with FPS.

13. Champrt78

Champrt78 Member

Cool, I didn't think so. I saw in an earlier post you said that the hiddenverticalmesh might not work? Any thoughts on that?!I am using it for acc and I think it's giving me a bit of a boost

14. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Are the per game 32 and 64 bit DLLs fixed yet? I haven't bothered since the in car HUD started getting smeared.

15. Frank Alexandre

Frank Alexandre Member AMS2 Club Member

I have a Quest 2 and cant run AMS2 with SteamVR too. I even tried OVR advanced settings (force steamvr setting) but game runs in oculus mode anyway. Shame since OVR toolkit is amazing.

16. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Yep, sucks. If I ever get it working I'll post here

17. GeekyDeaks

GeekyDeaks Member AMS2 Club Member

I haven't used OpenXR for a couple of months, but I remember having the same issue when I ran low or mid MSAA. Off or High worked fine though.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Have there been any further updates on motion compensation with OpenXR?

19. mbucchia

mbucchia New Member

• Like Like x 1
  20. lozarcher

lozarcher Loz

Start SteamVR first, wait for OVR to load (with a beep) then launch AMS2 in SteamVR mode. You can't just launch the game directly, needs to be in order.

However, doing this defeats the Opencomposite launch.

The alternative is to change the AMS2 executables to launch in compatability mode. Try Windows 7 mode.