Option for single player

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Silvano, Jul 25, 2024.

1. Silvano

Silvano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hello racers,
    one thing is driving me nuts, its the ghosting in pit lane, everytime i risk a heart infarct as a AI pass through me.
    are we babies that cannot behave in pit lane really ? and if that wasent inough, the ghosing is extended to the first part of the track...common Reiza, i think we are old inough to behave and go out of pit without problems, furthermore, it kills totaly the immersion !

So at this point i think it would be good to have a option "ghosting on/off " for single player at least.

Regards
    Silvano

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Can be the AI not being old enough to behave correctly

3. AllocDK

AllocDK Active Member

I 100% agree on this one. And its really bad since i only race in VR, so i hate this ghosting

Remember to post in this thread
    The Feature Request Thread...

4. Silvano

@Racinglegend1234 yes of course i agree but it would be better anyway so they dont pop up inside your car and at pit stop, they make a pit stop at your exact place. this is weird, or i also noticed car at your pitsop that have finished but they stay there and you wait behind for hours :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Silvano

6. Sparviero

Sparviero Member

It is weird but far better that be rammed by AI at pit entry or exit, or at box. Ghost is a easy solution to avoid to ruin a race, expecially since in-race-saving is not available.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Would it be possible to make a ghosted car semi-transparent? That would let the player know if the car is currently solid or not.

• Like Like x 3
  8. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's a shame, with all "old" simulations it was possible to have a quite good ai in pit (for example NASCAR 2003 or AMS1, EAsports F1 series, GPL, GTR1&2, Race07. and so on).

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Perhaps play those instead. :D

10. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So do you want the AI to go into Ghost mode as they're crashing into you on the circuit? Same thing, a collision could be race ending anywhere on the circuit, the ghost mode is purely arcade and should be an Option to turn on/off ideally.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not sure the ghost mode is there for the user's convenience but, rather to avoid AI pile ups in an around the pits.

12. AllocDK

AllocDK Active Member

I have no problem with ghosting in the pits, it makes it mure secure for everybody.

But in my mind, we should have the option to disable the ghosting at pit exit.

One of the worst cases i know, is on the Daytona Road Course and doing multiclass races.
    When AI are exiting the pit they cross right over the white line to get onto the AI line and therefore ghost right into you if you are there at the same time and they are in a faster class

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MarcG

As above though other Sims are just fine without it, I know it's possibly a leftover poor design choice from the PCars Devs. Also as above the pit exit areas are a nuisance with this ghosting, it ruins the immersion massively, either way I just hope we get the Option to turn it off in future that's all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah guys my point is, that the AI will potentially just wreck on their own coming into, driving in and/or exiting the pits. Especially in scenarios where there are a mix of players and AI in the same race as this is probably extremely difficult for them to manage on the fly. Imagine if they displayed the same behaviour they do now but they weren't ghosted. It'd be carnage.

Obviously it's not ideal but it's most likely a necessary evil rather than an "assist" that's been implemented to save user from themselves.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

IIRC, it's been confirmed that the current Ghosting is there to prevent the chaos that ensues otherwise, in and near pit-lane entry / exit.
    Reiza will likely attempt to solve it at some point but, when that may be is anyone's guess at this point. Obviously, priorities tend to differ between developers and players. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I thought originally the ghosted cars in the pitlane had something to do with PC getting a specific rating on steam, I am probably wrong though.

17. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Massive rose-tinted glasses, especially with Nr2003. The AI do crash into eachother and cause big messes in pit road, they also sometimes have issues merging back onto the track, and almost always pile into eachother when bunching up under yellow at short tracks.

There is a reason the better cautions mod has the option to disable collision in pits and under yellow.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. MarcG

I don't think we should really be comparing the faulty AI in a title 20+ years old with what we have now, the *fact* that other sims since NR2003 didn't need the Ghost Car in Pit Lane shows that it can be done to good effect by the AI coders and we know in Renato we have someone capable of doing this, his genius with the AI is one of the (many) strong points of AMS2 currently and it's only getting better. So to use excuses like it's to prevent "AI crashing" and "pile ups on pit entry" in 2024 is redundant, the skills are there and have been proven to make this area much more like real life. Not to mention crashing like this happens in real life as well, see Rick Kelly at Adelaide a few years back and pit entry nose to tail bumps happen a lot in some series, Pit Lane is still part of racing and incidents will happen.

Regardless Racing Sims are really starting to push the boundaries of what is possible in general terms in recent years, it's just a shame this leftover relic from PCars is still there but as rightly mentioned above on the priority list it may well be low down for Reiza, which is fair enough and their call and like others all I'm asking for is the Option to turn it off completley. (pretty sure we debated this in a similar thread not so long ago...!)

But with respect the bug whereby AI move over the Pit Exit Lane on track and become "ghost" is an issue that's needed addressing for some time, it still happens at Donington and is a real immersion killer, so it's more that just about Pit Lane itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Maybe we used different NR2003 ;) Always had good experience with AI

20. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Not saying I've had a bad experience with the AI, but instead that the AI isn't as good as its being claimed in the area that's being discussed. Been playing Nr2003 since the early-mid 2010s, mainly through just watching the AI race. Nr2003 AI is my bread and butter.

The way the pit AI work in Nr2003 is something that's slightly immersion breaking for me, because when a AI car enters their pit-box they get "magnetized" to the center of the box for lack of a better word. This means that if a car overshoots the center of their pit-box it will get dragged backwards until it reaches the center. The worst is when the AI gets into an incident while a car is in said state (which with collisions on, happens every once in a while), because no matter where the car is it will get dragged into the center of the pit box. At its worst it looks very janky and can lead to cars getting damage they otherwise wouldn't have.

It wasn't bad enough for me to stop playing, but it was bad enough for me to keep collisions in the pits disabled when I discovered the better cautions mod. The fact that this is even an option for the BC mod shows that at some level, it was a problem. BC isn't one of those mods with pages and pages of options, there are only six and two of them involve disabling collisions: one for pits, and one for under yellow.