1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Physic discussion thread

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Avoletta1977, Jan 3, 2021.

1. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

The rear rebound damper bias also plays a roll in late trail braking over-rotation.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

In what way?

3. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

When the rear rebound damper is high for its spring rate and weight transfers to the front, rear doesn’t stick to the road as well as the front during transition.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Exactly. If you run them too stiff when you brake your rear tires will lose a lot of grip as they will struggle to keep contact with the road.
    Remember also that they work as well when roll starts setting in for inner tire

5. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Any opinion on this video (inability to drift the Corvette C3) ? :

I have no idea if this car should be driftable or not, but I tried it on Interlagos 1978 Outer and it is indeed very difficult to drift with it, and seemingly impossible to do prolonged drifts.
    The C3 R is a bit better at it.

6. steelreserv

People don't drift cars with open diffs. If they try it usually winds up with them driving into a ditch or something.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

lol, confirming that this is what usually happens with the C3.

8. David Peres

David Peres Active Member

I don't care nor do I want to drift cars in a racing sim at all, but not being able to spin the rear tires from a stand still like at 5:24 in this video is indeed a big issue for me that I notice in other cars as well and it puts me off the sim, even if I could just avoid those cars... OCD, I guess :oops:

This issue is still present in some other cars and apparently (haven't tried it yet) new releases like this one are still being released with this problem, which worries me but I assume that it must be something they're looking at and might not be easy to solve.

Unfortunately when anyone complains about the physics in some cars feeling off, because of situations like this, the answer from some members is often quoting Renato about how the physics in all sims feel different and there won't be much more changes in the physics in AMS2, but I assume that people using that quote are misunderstanding what he meant.

Obviously all sims feel different, but basics, like being able to spin the tires of a car with high horsepower and no traction control, are the same amongst all sims, unless something is wrong.

9. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Do it in the dry. Hold clutch, floor it in 1st, drop the clutch. One of the rear tyres will lose grip and spin because of the open diff, emit a puff of smoke, then you recover grip and the car goes straight. Pretty much as expected from an open-diff car.

10. David Peres

David Peres Active Member

Ok I'll try it eventually... I have not tried this car yet (no time for sim racing lately) so I was going mostly by the video and by my experience with some other cars before, so I might have jumped to conclusions.

11. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

We should consider that few, if any cars in AMS2, have been on point from the very start. Not all titles have the same exact process and results. If there were one single sim-title that worked perfectly, said title would be the gold standard in Sim-racing.

As a sole-proprietor of a small business, many customers assume their project will suddenly become my no. 1 priority once they place an order. In reality, I may have 20, 30, or more prior projects in progress, some of which require my full attention to complete. I can give clients a rough timeline for completion but, there's no way to account for the things that simply don't go to plan on a daily basis.

My point is, it's extremely easy for us to make assumptions. Often, nothing could be farther from the reality.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Do this happen for you with the C3 road version ?
    Because my observation is different, it will bog down like a ginetta cup car from standing start , not able to peel the skin of rice pudding as the saying goes, but outside of that it will flame tyres out of the corners and can definitely do donuts etc. it also has rather extreme lift of oversteer by Ams2 standards which does make it tricky with all the associated body roll.
    But if others get a different experience, then that is something that needs investigation.

13. azaris

Try with a green track.

14. steelreserv

Like @azaris said, you can get wheelslip at the start with the C3 TC if you clutch. The autoclutch introduces drivability features like anti-stall etc and prevents the wheelslip in some cars.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  15. Kuku Maddog

i’m not able to test at the moment.
    but i deliberately tested with auto clutch off and on , and found no difference in terms of launch in TT mode .
    i wouldn’t have considered a green track to be a requirement, as non slicks will only gain so much from a gripped up track and it certainly doesn’t help much in out of turns

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  16. Kuku Maddog

Ok guys …explain these findings to to me
    Tested on green silverstone , and with auto clutch off.

even with cold tyres it won’t get a hint of wheel spin from standing launch.
    It will do donuts and half hearted burnouts once you get enough rotation.

but … if you put it in reverse gear and do a launch with auto clutch on or off as it make no difference, it will behave much more like it should.
    it will light up real good until eventually gaining enough traction quite a way down the road and leave a nice single straight black skid mark.
    This is how it should work, don’t you think ?

infact the way it stays reasonably straight is also something I think needs looking at, as I feel with the cars that do burst into wheel spin , the snap steering to the left or right is a bit overboard I reckon, irl cars get a bit squirrelly, but don’t often snap left or right.

By the way : the C3 R with all its power can do great 1st gear burn outs, but it totally unheard off for a car like that not to keep peeling away through 2nd and even 3rd gear.
    But it bogs down as soon as you pluck 2nd.
    compare that to something like the v8 supercar that will keep going to the delight of that random guy in the crowd.
    @steelreserv

17. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

You probably overcame the assumably slightly optimistic tires longitudinal grip easier, because you transformed the car into a FWD this way.

This btw. also proves, that AMS2 simulates load/weight shift, contrary to some assumptions....

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Kuku Maddog

well i’m not sure about that … the weight over the axle remains the same.
    but i would have accepted reverse gear being much higher ratio than 1st .

19. azaris

If you drive in reverse, the weight transfer is from rear to front so you get less grip on the driven wheels. But it could well be both.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Kuku Maddog

Well it still demonstrated that the track grip isn’t an issue, and there’s something not quite right with the tire friction at standstill.
    Do the reverse test and tell me that’s not how you would expect it to behave going forwards.
    You should have to limit the wheel spin when standing start at green .