1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Physic discussion thread

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Avoletta1977, Jan 3, 2021.

1. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Ouch...

I'm driving F309 at Interlagos in AMS1 right now...This car is actually not bad in AMS2, but....
    Sorry, it's still just directly connected to my degenerated brain, unlike AMS2. Of course i have a lot more hours in AMS1, but the responsiveness on steering, sliding outwards (we talked about it) and turning, especially tight corners, feedback over braking sweetspots(not necessarily directed to FFB) and overall behaviour over kerbs etc. is just a level above for me. Everything is talking to me in a clear language i understand.

It's definetly more bland in terms of tyre degradation and temperature influence, though. AMS2 is the clear winner here, in the discipline of car balance changes over a run.

I know, why i still always come back to AMS1.

2. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

I'm willing to bet the F309 also has a locked diff 95% of the time. It just makes a car like that feel so much more unresponsive when compared to the Formula Trainer for example. I love the Trainer.

However I think that there will forever be a different feel in the FFB between AMS1 and AMS2. And I actually prefer the latter.

3. CrimsonEminence

In the case of FFB, i have no real problems with AMS2, it's fine for me. It's also somewhat similar, a bit more rough and "rubbery", less reactive. But actually adding some ingame damper makes the general "feel" of the wheel less "gamey" in AMS2 and good settings make the experience perfectly fine here.

I don't think, the F309 is locked all the time in AMS2 actually, but "more" nevertheless. Like mentioned, other oddities, that might also occur can be solved a bit easier, when the drivetrain quirks are eliminated, i would guess.

4. oez

Yeah I agree on your point that it's a bit tricky to hone other aspects of the physics before the LSD is sorted out as it's such a commanding thing in the end.

5. oez

I wasn't able to add a picture when editing so sorry for the double post.

F309 diff is definitely looking quite locked based on rear tire speeds around Goiania Short. I put the playhead on the only point where it was a bit open, quite late into T1 (hairpin in the short layout). Tire speeds at that point are visible in the top right corner. Otherwise they are practically identical, .1 difference max.

There is that one point where the inside tire spun faster under acceleration, but it's irrelevant as behavior off throttle is the issue here.

f309_diff.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. CrimsonEminence

Yup...The most noticeable difference to AMS1 is the corner entry. (I even increase my diff lock for coast and preload a bit there usually)

@Renato Simioni
    Regarding the General Physics Discussion thread:
    It seems, our readings are not incorrect (he is using a different software, same look of the wheelspeeds, so either the possibility is given, output of AMS2 telemetry channels is wrong for some unlikely reason or the readings are indeed correct for us), also it seems, 90s+ Formula cars suffer from the problem too, when looking at this graph, regarding the F309.

7. Avoletta1977

Avoletta1977 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Testing on slower tracks the F390 has relevant inner wheel spin on standard setup in acceleration.

Coasting on the other side seems to be too tight even trying to fully open (0 preload, 89 ramp and 2 clutches).

8. CrimsonEminence

Goiania short is actually a slower track with tight turns. It's not using the full runway...i mean straight.
    Yes, corner entry is the main issue.
    I noticed it so much in AMS1 right now. I was driving 15% power and 24% coast (i increased it by 4% compared to other tracks setups) with a preload at 11(no measurement, but it's an increased value, compared to defaults) and i still have a lot of noticeable lift-off oversteer. In AMS2 i steer it way harder and braking is more restricting than helpful in some cases.

9. oez

I will drive any car that's consistent and not boring to drive. F309 is not boring even though it has this flaw. Far from it. Still, I would love to lift and trail brake into the apex with that mind bending rotation you expect from an open wheeler. But it is what it is for now and fun anyway. Just not as fun :).

Formula Trainer does give me the experience that I like most. Just drove it for an hour today and it's just :hurrayreiza:.

Was this to or from Renato? And is it confirming or invalidating the data, cause I'm not sure :D

I'm using Second Monitor by the way. Tire speed data can be found inside the Braking tab. I am a bit concerned that it's just faulty data / recording, but it's at least a reason for someone to double check with other software.

I used another app earlier that I found from Race Department which had similar looking data, but the update rate was so low that I couldn't trust it.

10. CrimsonEminence

To...
    there was the possibility mentioned, that readings could be off, but your graph proves otherwise.

You mean this?
    This is trustworthy when AMS2 is set to Project cars 2 and UDP frequency 1 in system options. Then move the graph detail slider once in the tool, if the detail seems to be low after a recording.

Your graphs are exactly looking like mine...same deal...

@Avoletta1977 do you want to bother to give it a shot with RST too, to reconfirm further? :D :p

11. Avoletta1977

Yes, I did the same test.
    F309 at Ortona in both AMS1 and 2.
    Massive difference in turn-in and rotation on throttle in general.

Never spun out in AMS2, swapping ends often in AMS1.

12. CrimsonEminence

Wheel difference or game difference?
    Because of this context:

13. Avoletta1977

Game difference.

14. CrimsonEminence

Ah okay.^^

Here my run on Goiania Short with the F309. Similar outcome in results. (Graph colours changed, thanks to the creator of the tool himself, giving me a heads-up. I was blind, not finding it before :D)
    F309.png

15. oez

Yeah that one. And oops, there's my problem. I have it at 9 I think. Second Monitor doesn't seem to care (I get data each 0.03s or so) though.

It needs to be said that I also tried with 0Nm preload, 2 clutches and 89/89 ramps in AMS2. The graph I posted used the default setup though. The rear just will not open before you're turning a lot and at slow speed. Another sim's telemetry showed difference between rear tire speeds all the time in a limited slip differential car. It just limits how far apart and how easily they are allowed to separate based on the setup.

Also as far as anecdotal evidence goes. If you drive the McLaren F1 GT1 at say 50km/h and carefully start turning the wheel more and more, you can notice when the differential snaps open and it starts turning a lot faster. Another way to describe the sensation is that there's a step in the otherwise linear steering response at slow speeds. I usually feel this at Spa T1 and can see it in telemetry as the rear tire speed difference going from 0 to ~3 rad/s in an instant.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  16. CrimsonEminence

Look above, i tried with default setup :D

17. oez

Yep and you don't have any difference in T1 :eek:. Stiff...

Btw. I meant to say that I tried with the default and also with those numbers I mentioned that should provide a very loose feel if the differential responded correctly.

18. CrimsonEminence

It was my only lap on this circuit, so also driven sloppy...but the turn-in is very bad in comparison to AMS1 right now. Also corner exit snappy as expected.

I'm 100% sure, that this car would improve massively with working clutch LSdiff. Fully safe, would bet a kebab on it. And people would find the car similar tasty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Raceracerace

Raceracerace Active Member

Crimson mentioned this kind of thing above - lift off oversteer - most road cars we drive on a daily basis are designed to UNDERsteer, especially when there is torque added in a kinda 'no surprises' kind of way.

So the f-reiza's are the most neutral 'well behaved' cars in terms of avoiding this problem - is this what people are saying? Because thats my impressions that they get close to the actual design intention, they maintain more of what one would expect. Maybe the Ultima track car too which has improved out of sight but I was not paying attention.

This reiza-made cars and some others yes is what I base my generally great impressions about the title upon - as they feel free and easy/slick in turns. I have been driving them mostly recently and the new cars, gt1s which are steady anyway.

There's turn in, corner, and exit, and the f-reiza's (and others of course) feel the most unshackled from this problem. So too gt3's.

This can be such a problem for adjusting driving (corner correction or corner-'hacking it') that if you go to ACC you need to acclimatize again.

While I drive with all aids off, it could be the system under the hood relies on some of these things to get it by.

Its no secret that Rfactor2 'flubs' a few things here and there and its drivetrain model was not particularly sophisticated.

Is this a case of having a sophisticated drivetrain model, etc?

I,e I am saying most people would probably never pick up on that. I always wondered why 1 cars would not turn on a dime and 2 were not stable at high speed as much, like they were lumps, in some cases and if you had someone pushing the car from the side, like the car needed an extra force on it. Last patch smoothed some things over and some cars genuinely gave a brilliant feel, but yeah this kind of thing you see it on youtube as well - a lot of those people probably can't put their finger on the trouble, even if they vaguely know something is there thats up.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  20. CrimsonEminence

Yes, and in contribution to that, many roadcars have relatively open configured diffs, which usually understeer at corner exit and save materials. AMS2 snaps and this also with the F-Reiza
    The car is snappy and turns better due to the aero, than really getting assistance by the coast ramp setting, not neutral at all, though.

But it indeed shows something better, than other cars in AMS2. It has still so much diff lock, but it gives a shimmering of that the clutch LSD might work correctly some day. "It ain't much (enough), but it's honest work"
    F-Reiza, default setup, Velo Citta:
    Freiza.png