"Requires skill" <> "Hard to drive"

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Professionalsimracing.com, Sep 25, 2016.

1. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Lot of people say it's cold when it's not
    And say it's fine when it's to hot

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. hashegotabeard

hashegotabeard Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think this is probably the best analogy to sum why I think OP is wrong so far.

In the above example; the problem arises because they're is no clear, measurable definition of hot or cold.

If someone says 'it's too hot in here' what they mean is 'the current temperature is too hot for me'. We can't quantify what too hot is. Even if we try to assign a number or standard to it, the acceptable ranges for people of what is too hot or too cold vary by individual and are often contextual. 25C+ might be fine on a beach holiday but too hot in a gym, for example.

'Hard to drive'. Both hard and drive words that if not taken literally (and they're not supposed to, in this case) can convey a fluid definition, greatly effected by context.

Unless a universal concensus can be agreed on how we measure hard/difficult/challenging etc I think it's fair that people can describe their experiences as such.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Well where I live 24ÂșC already make us freeze :D

4. Professionalsimracing.com

Professionalsimracing.com Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@hashegotabeard

Exactly...except when it's not.

If I tell you that a vehicle is hard to drive but then recommend that you drive it because it is also fun (and this contradiction in itself begs examination) then it is clear that I believe that the car is also hard for you to drive. It wouldn't make sense for me to make a recommendation for you about something that is personal to me only. At a minimum, I would have to qualify it somehow.

5. hashegotabeard

hashegotabeard Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Is English not your first language? The reason I ask is that I think you're fixating on the negative connotation of the word 'hard'. Fun and hard a only contradictions in terms of connotation (hard has a negative one, fun has positive; in this context) but it's more than possible to have something that is both fun and hard.

-People take pleasure from solving difficult (read; hard) puzzles or equations for fun
    -People partake in gruelling physical excercise for no other reason than they enjoy the challenge and bettering themselves.
    etc.

Therefore when I say the Formula Vintage is hard to drive I am not being negative about the car. I am conveying, in my opinion, the car takes more energy/concentration/personal skill and application of theory.

Challenging is a better term in this context as it has both positive and negative conatations. It suggests a difficult (negative) but rewarding (positive) experience.

You seem to be concerned that using hard as an adjective would potentially put people off trying out a car but I think people will embrace the challenge.

We'll have to agree to disagree that when someone says 'this car is hard to drive' they expect you to also find it hard. I can't speak on other's behalf so I try not to. If I say 'this is hard work!' I mean 'this is hard work for me'.

Your case would be stronger if your example was 'This car is impossible to drive', because at least it could be argued, when taken literally, the statement is very specific. On a technical level, I am incorrect to claim the car is impossible to drive, because it's very much possible to get it to go round a track. It's not meant to be taken literally, so no one ever means the car is literally impossible to drive; just that they found it extremely difficult to do so.

The word 'hard' is a little too vague, too. It's that generic property, though, that means it's an easy fit to give a general feeling of what you are trying to communicate.

Are you a good driver? Well, what is a good driver? Are you a fast driver? In this context what does fast infer? Whats good or fast for you is different than to me, it's reliant on context. A better answer would be to specify a lap time you could do. 'How fast are you round Suzuka in a GT3?'. 'My PB is a 1:59.xx'. Your definitions of fast can then be better compared.

You could do this with vehicle characteristics, handling, performance etc

Whilst it would clear up a lot of misunderstanding if we were more thorough with our language it's just not very practical for everyday communication. For example, I don't have the energy to add 'in my opinion' every time I'm stating an opinion. :p It's implied.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. pingu666

pingu666 New Member AMS2 Club Member

hmm
    for me theres handling, ie the classic sim racing brake balance of too much rear and around you go...
    poor setup, or the car not doing kerbs/cambers and complex road shapes "well" ie iracing a few years back when i played.

I find road cars hard because of the mismatch of straightline speed, braking ability and corner speed be much different to a race car.

and the faster a car is the harder it will be as stuff arrives much quicker. (all things being equal)

some cars are hard due to visability or engine charataristic too.

or the physics engine cant really cope and you end up with something odd, like nascar in iracing a couple of years ago

7. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hmmmm well I could add that everything is easy to drive with a Bodnar DD Wheel