Screen freeze during Race

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by sherpa25, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Dann Murillo

Dann Murillo tinyurl.com/osrdiscord AMS2 Club Member

It's been 10 days since my driver switched from his Nvidia to AMD graphics card and he has not had a single screen freeze since. Although I have not had one either with my GTX 760 either so again its not any specific Nvidia cards but seems to be (possibly) an AMS coding issue.

2. Kevin Peat

Kevin Peat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I haven't had a screen freeze either for at least a week so maybe this is fixed now (crosses fingers).

3. Dann Murillo

4. Tony Binelli

Tony Binelli Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Bought a 1080GTX on the weekend, so far so good no freezes yet:)
    Have not had a freeze for about 10 days

5. sherpa25

sherpa25 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

That's a good start... but not quite a practical solution. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

We haven´t made changes that could have much of an effect other than a specific reduction in texture size with the Montana.

The only time I´ve personally managed to reproduce any freeze was when running into memory overload - keep in mind it´s a 32bit app so it won´t ever allocate more than 4gb of your RAM, around that threshold the game will become unstable. A wild guess is that avoiding freezes is just down to managing to stay within that threshold, which shouldn´t be difficult so long as you´re not exceeding the maximum grid size as set in the game, or throwing in too many extra mods / plugins which also add memory load.

Another guess would be down to an unfavourable video driver / OS combination, but again these are just guesses.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jempy

Jempy Member AMS2 Club Member

Since update of the graphic card driver and effective settings made according to the Automobilista manual advices .... all freezes are gone in my case ...even at high graphic settings, even with the weakest part of my config ... a GTX650 TI Nvidia.... waiting for a good price for a new one :D

NB and not using DynHud online.

8. sherpa25

Hi Jemp, what driver version # are you currently using, 368.81?

@Reiza, help pls. Using 365.19 or latest 368.81, AMS now keeps crashing (SP) in the middle of a session (Single Race or Test). Event Log points to ntdll.dll or DINPUT8.DLL. Run Verify Files already multiple times. Now trying w/o Dynhud (renamed the folder) and the sessions seem to last. So while w/o Dynhud, how do I display the car positions/times (like in SCE with num_6)? Currently Num_6 just shows assist settings (Invulnerability, ABS, etc), not the names,position, times.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  9. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

You should look up which key / button is configured to cycle through the MFD (multi function display) for different information.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jempy

I'm still on 368.69,Sherpa ... as I hadn't the time yet to download and install the latest version.
    But I'm only with one single monitor.... that's our main difference ( without taking the graphic card into account :D ).
    Did you tried yet with one single monitor ? ... just for cheking it's not part of the problem with triples ?

11. Dann Murillo

My driver is on a single monitor w/Nvidia and it froze up for a few seconds nearly every race. Not once now since he is on AMD. You know one thing that is even more interesting now that I think about it, he had the same problem in SCE. But never was it a problem in RF1.

12. Jempy

Now I think about it .... when I installed the driver 368.69 and updated the Nvidia Experience I noticed after 1 or 2 days in the Task manager that a console.exe was opened.
    The Nvidia Streaming processes were active .... while I never used them. I unactivated them once more ( as they already made problems with other programs before ... and after a previous Nvidia Experience update I didn't mind having a look at this console ) ....

I wonder if this is not this Nvidia Streaming processes making problems.
    Reason why maybe AMD users don't have these problems.

I'm no expert in PC ... so it's just an idea for more accurate PC experts than myself. :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. sherpa25

Thanks, thought first it was the LCD, not MFD. Sorry for OT again, does this MFD cycle & show other displays or just name/position (as pressing assigned button just turns it on/off, not cycle)? I recall SCE once had a display activated by default with the spacebar.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  14. rocafella1978

rocafella1978 Member AMS2 Club Member

i have not changed anything in the system, just trying to get AMS to look smooth and nice GFX wise, without any luck so far. all other SIMS run smooth as butter on my system. and now AMS in game, while testing, racing, practice and/ or while driving randomly blacks out for 2-5 seconds, then comes back and continues as if nothing happened. (basically black screen and no nothing happening, then back AMS car and full control of car) (Nvidia driver 368.22 now updating to see if it will be different to 368.81)

- so far tested: only happening on Spa circuit, any vehicle i try, and when you hit replay, like rubber banding/ vehicle is back and forth quickly and then gets released and everything continues normally
    - has not happened on Montreal circuit

wanted to update, screen freezes only on MOD tracks/ MOD vehicles, deleted all the MODS all works no freezes and no stutters.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  15. Dann Murillo

OK so the issue continues to be Nvidia only, although the configuration to replicate the problem is not clear at this time. My friend is still good 3-4 weeks after changing from Nvidia to AMD...not a single screen freeze since.

16. rocafella1978

what Nvidia GPU is he using?
    (I have Nvidia GTX Titan-X and not a single freeze, 368.81 updated today, only did so because i thought the problem was the driver) at least for me it was the MOD cars and tracks. once removed/ fresh install no more freezes and no more stutters. (and maybe has nothing to do with it...)

17. Dann Murillo

He used a GTX 660TI. And I had the same card without a single freeze as well. So we know its not a specific gpu and likely not even a specific driver version but everyone in this thread uses an Nvidia gpu and has the issue. And he did a fresh windows install with no luck. Only after moving to an AMD card did it get fixed. Very odd issue here for sure!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  18. Tony Binelli

Tony Binelli Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I moved from my GTX980 to a GTX1080 and the freezes have stopped . weird issue:(

19. rocafella1978

hmm that is very strange issues for sure! weird!

20. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Had same issue using the Boxer Cup @ Portland be it alone on track or with more cars (online) I get 100% disk use all of sudden what causes the frozen screen for a second. Did not happen in any other track for now so no idea if it's related.