1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shadow anti-aliasing - best options to improve AA?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Steve Lewis, Jun 21, 2021.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I tried it in Days Gone at 1080p with 150 resolution scale. Still 1080p technically, I can't test in AMS2 unless I turn off surround.

2. projupiter

projupiter Member AMS2 Club Member

I think it looks better with shadows off. Its much cleaner, and there is still a shadow under the car. Also it frees up a bit of FPS for something else. I think I will stick with them off for a while, and hopefully they are improved in the future.

• Creative Creative x 1
  3. 2ndLastJedi

I found the best solution to improve the overall cleanness of image in AMS2!! All it took was a graphics card upgrade. Seriously, even at the same settings i used on my old card just swapping it out for a RTX card cleaned up the image massively. I think it is the higher framerate that made all the difference because i cant see any difference in screenshots but in motion it is like a sharpening filter is being applied but without all the sharpening artefacts :) I have made some settings changes just because i can now afford to, i raised MSAA to medium, put everything else to ultra except environment reflections (medium) and shadows (low) and as long as im over 115 fps it looks amazing. I can still notice the shadow aliasing but it isn't anywhere near as bad as at 60 fps and night time shimmer is still a problem, but i don't race AMS2 at night for this reason. Nothing but Reiza are going to change that (hopefully).
    Oh, i've remove the MFAA and FXAA in NVCP also and it still looks better.

I have a 1080Ti for sale should anyone want it :whistle:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. dMASS

dMASS Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi guys, did some testing with the various AA methods available to us. For the longest time I've just stuck with MSAA high, it's ok but the shimmering/jaggies particularly with the shadows and barrier/fence lines always bothered me. I've had the 4090 for awhile but completely forgot we had the far more expensive AA in game (supersampling and smaa)

The image quality and stability especially with the shadows and barrier/fences are a night and day difference, and I can maintain pretty much 116fps (I cap fps at 116 in nvcp) in the day and about 100 at night (haven't tried rain yet)

Running at 5120x1440 GPU usage has essentially doubled as before with msaa and all settings maxed out it was pretty easy to run. I also dropped a few settings to gain some performance back (nothing major or noticeable), even dropped shadows from ultra to high, and the shadows still looked miles better and more importantly stable during movement.

Below is a comparrison shot and my settings if you have the GPU power to try

Settings

Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  5. dMASS

6. dMASS

MSAA ams2 msaa.jpg

SS & SMAA
    ams2 supersampling & smaa.jpg

7. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for this - does this work in VR? It’s the bit that’s immersion destroying for me in a G2 so keen to try and understand the impact. Like you I’ve stuck to MSAA high.

8. dMASS

g2 is pushing 2160x2160 per eye and having to render alot more. I'd suggest using my settings but trying supersampling at medium and perhaps smaa at medium or high.

If you're also running SS through steamVR that's going to make it even more demanding. You'll have to experiement and find what compromise you're comfortable with for VR until 5000 series gpus come out unfortunately

9. 2ndLastJedi

That SS setting isn't available in VR, you need to use the VR setting tab to get the SS option, even then your best off playing with OpenXR and raising resolution if your GPU can take it.
    I run 3500x3450 on my G2 but can't do night rain thanks ro headlight reflections killing performance, not that I would do much night driving because the lighting isn't at all convincing in AMS2.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rintintin78

Rintintin78 New Member

Hi,
    do you give me your settings in game on HP Reverb G2 v2?
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  11. 2ndLastJedi

G'day mate, I will update hopefully later today with my settings.

12. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Interesting thread

I must say that recently going back to NVIDIA has resulted in a perceived improved picture quality and the NV CP options against aliasing seems more effective than AMD for whatever reasons

Same applies to my VR experience with a QUEST2

13. Rintintin78

Rintintin78 New Member

could you help me?
    Thanks

14. Mystikal

Mystikal New Member

Running a Reverb G2, with a 4090 and a 7800X3D, but still have no good settings found to enjoy the day and have acceptable frame-rates during sundown and night.

Any one with suggestions for me?

15. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Most likely, it's your settings in Steam VR are too high. Post them here... Do not render over 100% of the size.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Mystikal

Mystikal New Member

Okay, currently rendering on 125%.
    So need to reduce to 100%?

17. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

YES big time!! At such high native resolution, the G2 doesn't need over scaling.

18. 2ndLastJedi

I use OpenXR on my G2 with a 4090 and run at 3500x3450 resolution, quite a bit higher than native. If i wanted to run at night (which i dont because of the awful shimmer) i can and still maintain 90 fps. Its rain and all the reflections that cause the issue for me.

19. Mystikal

Mystikal New Member

What MSSA setting?

20. 2ndLastJedi

Medium but MFAA on in NVCP.