1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharing of Set-Ups?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by newbert, May 11, 2020.

1. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I could have sworn I set up a ghost with a wrench once or twice in the past, but when trying to save the setup it said something like "the setup is not available". I could be mistaken.

Anyway, this might be a good feature for competitive racers.

2. Wilfred de Ruijter

Wilfred de Ruijter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I found the setups from TT, but I am looking for a good race setup. Is there a way to find out if a TT setup is a good race setup?

3. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

I don't think so. You will need to test them. Most of the times, though, as you know, setups made for two or three flying laps won't last too much on a longer race. But you can always use a TT setup as a base for you to build your race setup.

4. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Might be worth a look for you but its a big subject

Re TT I use default for several reason. I did how ever load a top time setup at hock historic, it was not good for me and driving style makes a big difference as to suitability. (I was slower! lol)
    Edit racing line and driving style can have a bigger difference on tt times than setup
    It is possible to get on page1 of top times with default, if you learn the car to its full default potential

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  5. steelreserv

Just by looking at it? Not really. If you don’t know a thing or two about setups, its all testing.

6. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I’ve used some TT setups as a bit of a learning tool. Try some out, see what works for me and have a good look at what they’ve done, tweak a little and adapt for longer races, basically see what suits.

It’s a bit hit and miss but alongside some YouTube tutorials and various guides I’m slowly making sense of some of it....coast ramp and so on is still very much in the dark art arena for me though.:(

What I’ve found just as interesting is the way different people can set up such different feeling cars and get such similar times. I assume driving style ends up playing a large part in set ups....I’m surprised at how often I find a closer to 50/50 brake balance seems to suit me (not exactly 50/50 but much closer than defaults suggest would be optimal.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelreserv

Brake balance depends in the car, but tinkering is always a good thing.

8. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

Yeah, learning how much time can be lost to tinkering and testing is an eye opener. I think simply driving and practicing has produced the biggest results for my learning curve, but I can’t deny the fact that having a stable base set up that I’m comfortable driving not only helps me improve further but gives some nice morale boosts. Finding that previously troublesome car suddenly come alive is a great feeling.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. steelreserv

I test 90% of time right not. All setup work, all practice.
    Ive been at your stage before. Trying to setup cars to suit your driving style. One day, after a lot of practice and more experience, you’ll find yourself adapting your style tp the car. At that point, setups will be just for troublesome sectors or corners.

• Like Like x 1
  10. steelreserv

To answer your question though. The 1st thing you should approach is the tires. A proper race setup doesnt burn up them up, particularly the rears. TT setups are oversteery, with a happy back end, which adds a lot of heat.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

TT setups are very often just lower pressure, lower aero and closed radiators.
    You'll find only a few with good suspension, spring and differentials.
    ana 100 times trail and error for this only one fast lap.
    Unfortunatelly its not documented, how many trails some needed.

on my AC server with weekly sessions, with stracker i see the good and bad laps count.
    Its wierd how many times people try just to get on page one of the leaderboard :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. steelreserv

13. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Taken from my many years as an iRacing member the difference between TT setups and fullblown race setups was/is only:
    1. fuel load (suit race length)
    2. Ride Heigh (few clicks to not bottom out with race fuel)
    3. Tire pressure (few clicks higher if TT use extremely lows)

AMS2: Radiator and brake ducts about middle of range.

ByTheWay: As said before then there is no reason to pretend that this is some black art.:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BrunoB

Just as a general remark to this then you can find a lot of setups which if you compare them are mainly different because some parameters is changed to try to compensate for faulty settings in other parameters.:cool:
    An example is that a lot of fake wizards :p advice you to raise the spring or roll bar stiffness in the rear if the car is too understeery.
    But by doing this you does only lower the rear grip (= lower overall grip) to try to compensate for too low grip in front of the car.:rolleyes:

ByTheWay: More than 10 years ago(!!) I posted a kind of "manual" about how to avoid this falacy.
    Brunob´s New Approach To Racing Setup - N2K3-Setups

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

Fake Wizards. One of those fake wizards is actually a set up guide that was being sold on a different forum.

Very interesting, I’ve been slavishly following that advice without realising that I’m losing overall grip. I’ll have a look at your guide, bookmarked the site.

....and this is why newbies like me do see setups as a dark(ish) Art:)

16. steelreserv

Its not necessarily about maximizing grip. Its the balance of grip between front and rear. You really have to dissect the corner in 3 parts. Entry, Middle, Exit. The front suspension dictates entry. Both work in the middle. The rears dictate exit. Generally. So when guides say, stiffen the rear, its just corner exit they are talking about.

You want the balance between the front and rear to maximize grip, sure, but not at the expense of rotation.

Adjust springs and arbs in relation to each other (balance), then you can adjust them equally for for more grip and not lose balance.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. steelreserv

In this case the fake wizard(s) are correct. By stiffening the rear to promote OS, you aren’t losing grip. Its simply being transferred to the fronts more. It doesnt dissappear. Its just a matter of manipulating the weight transfer and the load on specific tires.

18. BrunoB

Thats OK Magnus - my answer to you is NOT: And so what?:D
    But just because somebody has earned some money on the subject is no proof that his advices is worth following.:cool:
    Because if you scan my posts above (and my "manual") then you can easily see that my general attitude to this setup thing is to both keep it simple AND use some logic or common sense.

ByTheWay: And using some logic its pretty easy to discard any goofy postulate saying that I does advocate "Maximize Grip". Because to the contrary Im advocating: Dont Destroy Grip

19. steelreserv

But by changing springs, you’re simply shifting (Load) grip to different tires. Your theory is perplexing and false.

20. BrunoB

Haha good one :p
    But enough of this verbal shortcircuiting from RL to a video game:rolleyes:
    Just check the LBs to see how the outcome of this setup simplicity is actually working in the virtual world. At the moment it is working rather good on the Nordschleife in the F-V10-G1 :p

ByTheWay: Using a lot of words to try verbally to prove it shouldnt work is just waste of time. Time that can be used on the virtual tracks instead :p