1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim Racing. General discussions and thoughts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maser V6, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for your answer gents.
    Just finished watching the real gp at Silverstone. Class win for Max and RB and good on Hulken fo a good race in the "pink " car ! glad he got to race this week
    Great start buy all drivers esp lap 1always good to see.
    I will respond to your post tomorrow as its almost time to put the pc on and learn a few laps.

ref Brands Marious, not sure what was on there I slowed on straight as I though you did so we could all catch up, then chappy hit me and it all went to sh-t, nice to trade laps though. The lower powered cat was actually quite nice. Will give it another try.

On a sidenote ref "netcode" issues and its just a suggestion. Ran a few laps with internal v or Mr jiffy last week just trading places and playing with each others pace.. If a few beta testers {once a week for exmple} set up a session with the intention of purely seeing how close they can run and trade places say up to 10 laps it may help with a few replays to judge just how good or bad the code is. It would not be a race just a "close / running / passing test session. the various replays could help the devs more than the current neg feedback currently seen on the forums and elswhere? or the once a month beta race.
    battery going down of this laptop so pc on in a short while!
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. Maser V6

Exactly.
    Many older f1 drivers have spoken about the fear of death and the buzz created by it, its one of the things that excites them, rather like the pilots that came back from various wars then started tearing around in fast cars /bike and racing was born
    The next gen sim wont kill you for obvious reasons, but anything from a tingle, muscle spasm, light med, pain, in Vr would be a good as it gets.
    The body attachments have been around for years and we all know that muscles works with electrical signals.
    The body can withstand an amazingly high voltage but add some current and its a different story.
    I digress a little.
    With our sim with the addition of a power bank of charged capacitors to give the desired electrical pulse/ feed back to the body, with data from the software/ ic programming would not be hard to achieve and totally safe. A small shock for a collision larger for a big crash, we are in a simulator so lets simulate all the senses are subjected to with a little pain also!
    What was the static electricity trick thing we all did in school?
    Tbc.
    Mm I dont know what that is but I did fire up ams1 yesterday after I read your post though did not stay on it long,
    (g29 has brake being randomly applied when using throttle?? so 3 new potentiometers should be here Tues/wed) dead zone from 0-10 does not stop it)
    so even subconsciously I suspect next lap a little more caution was used?

It is indeed a fine line between genius and dangerously stupid.
    Some drivers have irl exploited the laws of physics to a high degree, there competitors have had to adapt to stay competitive. Moto GP is a classic example in the Marc Marquez era.
    The "shock" of the new in our sim should lead to more of a skilled "thinker" faster driver rather than faster "madman" liability
    Yes, I dont think any racing driver wants/wanted to die, they wanted to push the extremes in order to win and with that came a fear of death/injury.
    In our sims at home what do we fear, a little pain ? injury, death no. Its great really but it does lack the consequence of poor actions.
    As Sim Rig makers search for the next best thing, its not far away but I dont see them looking yet! at an easy addon.

3. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Uhm...well...no...i was stupid enough to keep pushing, but i got older and today i would probably take 2% away. :D

You can activate towing time in the rule options, so if you ESC on your track, you have a time restriction, based on circuit position, to get your car towed back to the pits. A realistic option and a semi-realistic option is avaiable.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Maser V6

Ah thanks for that. No time in ams 1 as such but interesting option.
    May fire up pc with my duff brakes just for a look (ams 2)
    just read the TT post about Brands, sounded like you just been on it.:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. CrimsonEminence

Yup, i already came under the one minute mark. :D (The F-Reiza is actually less frustrating for hotlapping, than i thought, it would be, normally, this kind of car is my worst, in all kinds of simdriving. :D )

6. Maser V6

Coffee time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Maser V6

Back to sims and budgets
    Fancy having your neck yanked around to simulate G force

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  8. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I dont know if I want even more competition in the mentioned F-Reiza Brands TT :mad: - but eventhough I have reasonable experience from high powered formula cars in iRacing, rF2 and Raceroom (cant remember pCars2?) then this F-Reiza car is the best and most enjoyable I have ever tried in a sim.
    Even with the default setup its hard not to get a good grin on your face after a few laps.:D

ByTheWay: Oh @Crimson you evil man I can see that you are allready beginning to brag about your lucky punch lap:p

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Maser V6

Car sounds like a good one, though no point in me doing TT in it though. I saw the times lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. CrimsonEminence

Fetch the setup, load the ghost, time to break through! :p

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Maser V6

In a previous thread I asked about peoples experience of the wind and its effects in AMs2.
    As a follow on, we can continue with the help of Nico Rosberg, albeit in a different sim. Here we are at the Spanish Grand Prix due tomorrow
    After his longish intro he takes us in his sim around the track with lots of tips and tricks. Whats of more interesting here is his reference to the wind and its impact.
    Which leads me back to AMS2 and wind effects felt on cars or lack of it? Have you seen a difference? Is there a difference to be felt?
    Pre race coffee time with Nico Rosberg in his Sim.

12. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Quite interesting, tyre comparison in different conditions with inputs visible.

13. Maser V6

Cant wait to try it here, Nice vid maybe dry first.
    Not done a wet test lately but just saw your wet ai post so am going to run a Kayalami H test in storm sigma vs duratec.
    (same as months ago so should show differences since update} main not beta

14. Andy-R

The cars seem quite hit and miss to me in the wet in AMS2. The Formula Vee didn't feel right to me at all, rear stays really planted and just more understeer. There are videos on YT that show they can snap oversteer in mid/high speed corners on power which wouldn't be possible in game. The Retro's feel a bit better in storm conditions, loss of traction seems plausible. The only thing that stands out to me there is braking, I feel like braking distances aren't much changed and it is easy not to lock up. You can run really far rear brake bias (tested in F Vintage) without any problems with the rear snapping under braking to. It is also a shame we don't have to drive a wet line, it seems if anything that the marbled areas off the normal line are still less grippy in the wet. I'm guessing IRL they (the marbles) would wash away to some extent. I need to try the Vintage F1 cars in the wet as I don't think they have wet tyres, just those track (?) tyres. Hopefully better than the Vee.

15. Andy-R

I had a go in the F Vintage in stormy conditions and get the same feeling regarding braking distances. I'll post a video below, brake points are very similar to the dry, I'm using 55% rear bias also and rear lockups are super manageable. Loss of traction seems okay, whether it is enough for a storm or not I have no idea. In the 1969 US GP at Watkins Glen there was heavy rain for Friday practice and the fastest lap was a 1:13.8 and on Saturday it was dry and cold and the fastest lap time was a 1:03.6. I'm doing around 1:32 in storm conditions (ignoring the first couple of laps which are much faster) and around 1:25 in the dry at Silverstone.

Talking of lap times I noticed my delta is showing as previous best but it is actually showing fastest session lap and the bottom right timing says my second lap in the video is a 1:32.005 but the full version of the same app says it is a 1:31.9.

Another thing I really don't like about the wet in AMS2 is that the start of a session is always much faster, if using real time weather and wet conditions you have to set a qualifying time immediately at session start unless the session is so long the weather changes. It also seems like there are issues using speeded up weather (like big disconnect between visual and physical rain.)

Lastly the puddles seem a bit OTT at times. It seems like depth of puddle doesnt matter and neither does car speed. There was a puddle on pit exit and even at a crawl with treaded tyres I just sail across it aquaplaning. I could see slicks behaving like this but treaded tyres not so much (think of your road car going through huge puddles.)

16. Maser V6

Hi Andy thanks for your input. It reminded me of my Sigma vs Durtec storm races at Kaya H. Ran in May 2 races 2 vids posted.
    I Ran a re-race last night higher ai @ 100/68 this time with p@q unlike first session race in May.
    Much to my suprise I had pole so started race then let the ai past so was last lap 1 on slicks, as I only started session as _rain,storm storm clear @30times speed.
    I recall that if this is chosen the sim will start you off on slicks despite rain. move up half the grid by lap3 then ai pitted so I stay out on slicks. and it was not as bad as it should have been , thunder storm on slicks!. made gains then went off.
    I was hoping to do a direct comparison vid with the May vid and compare with the latests update. This would show the improvements with the ai and car over a lot of updates. Sadly I cant find the original vid in thread just the rematch? where I drove the sigma.
    Its almost as if ifs been deleted ? odd It did show how bad the ai were at the time esp with puddles and there slowing down and insistance on racing line through deepest part of puddle they dont do that now as much thankfully and are more competitive in the wet. I will try to find it later but am miffed as to why its no longer up.

I am wondering if this is track specific as I did so many thunder and heavy rain sessions at Kaya H in May I know exactly were the puddles are and depth, even exploiting the drag in deep puddles to help rotate the car. This effect seems still there, from last night. get it wrong and around you go! and all is lost.

I have been so obsessed with the other cars that I have not run Vintage in wet for too long so cant compare, sry but interesting to note your results

I did try the retros when they first came out in heavy rain @ Kaya H and blimey they were more than tricky so thought I would leave them to just dry.
    I will do more wet this week thanks to you and the other post reminding me how much fun and challenge it can be.
    With some comparisons hopefully.

17. Maser V6

Yes this has been a point for me from early days and even last night flat out over the main puddle across track on strait Kaya h before T1 on slicks!, nuts to attempt irl, slow or flat out little difference ?

18. Andy-R

I'm not 100% sure what you mean. Maybe we have opposite opinion. I'm saying I think the treaded tyre is aquaplaning too much. Going through a puddle at pit exit doing around 35-40mph the BT26 just slides on the surface of the puddle.

19. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The F1 Vintage cars only have dry tyres in AMS2. Yes technically they are treaded but they would never race in wet conditions with them. By 69 the tread pattern was almost cosmetic and in 1971 the slick came to F1. And they are incredibly wide on a light car with little downforce. If any tyre is going to be prone to aquaplaning it will be these. The real issue IMO is Reiza should include the option of wet tyres.

20. Andy-R

They were using wet tyres in 1969? I'm guess the "track" tyres on both the Vintage era models in AMS 2 are properly treaded generic vintage tyres.