1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim Racing. General discussions and thoughts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maser V6, Jul 2, 2020.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Chepi with another inspirational video.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Interesting points made here I think, esp with the feel I have in this sim compared to May 2020 when I made the On the limit vid in thunderstorm. There are good reason why "Wll" , "Chepi" ,
    "Remco" myself, you the reader? and others are having a blast.

Dam I should be working, or maybe I'll go for a drive and risk divorce?
    May last year was a fun blast in this vid, and a lot has changed for the better, inc my driving EDIT :))maybe not) and the AI;s but now:D

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

I'm not going to comment on sim vs other sim or the Youtube personality in question. But this video explains to me why I prefer the feel in AMS2. I also get a long really well with AC for the same reasons, but I just don't play it that often for some other reasons. It's almost too good of an explanation for why I prefer them over ACC and R3E in pure driving feel. The quicker I go, the more frustrated I get with the latter.

4. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I comment on it: The video creator has a point. When a person claims to be knowledgeable about being fast/on the limit, this person should be not off-pace by 2-5 seconds in the racing games, this person is talking about. (And additionally this person should know, when a car is wrong/broken and when it's setup)

To the side of driving experience IMO: The limits of AMS2 are actually quite vague still sometimes (i only reach it nearly with some specific classes and you have to be very proactive and need to hit a "sweet spot" in driven distance, to have the car in operational condition, i think @Maser V6 can confirm, i'm able to hit and keep a decent pace of cars, even if it's not full-alien tier). But the requirements to get to sufficient fast and consistent pace aren't as (unrealistically) clinical on the input side for the most part, as you would need it to be in (partially)AMS1, rF2 and even AC and (partially)ACC.

i n m y o p i n i o n

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. oez

I agree. I was merely commenting on how easy it is to feel the limit. Maybe if it was less vague I would think different, but the priceless seat of the pants feel is there.

I tried iRacing again after a 9 year break two months ago. I was shocked by the default FFB. Completely based on secondary information especially in the Skippy which likes to rotate. I tried irFFB with some SoP added and wow what a difference in confidence. Getting the tail out (I mean a few degrees) was no problem in the Skippy. Rather than losing feel and turning into a spin unless corrected fully, I could embrace it and play with the limit.

6. CrimsonEminence

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Maser V6

Yes It reminded me of driving a week ago and what I felt whilst pushing the car, balancing on the limit .
    Yes Look forward to more car Class's improving as Im sure they will.

HUGE

Agreed

Ha No doubt about it, Going to ramp up any ai in sessions you may join just so your not lonely out front.

8. CrimsonEminence

When a track is well calibrated, i'm usually at 110 strength. :D
    Formula 1 cars of the modern age have seconds of pace differences, when it comes to setup. The proclaimed limit-discoverer might need a reality check, there. :D

9. oez

Will at it again

• Like Like x 3
  10. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Cool video, but it's no drivers-eye, tho.. The camera is not clearly on eye-level. :p

11. Maser V6

Todays Friday coffee time videos are posted not only to enjoy over a morning coffee.
    The 1st is Ams2 version of the Historic Spielbergh and apart from the fact I like the vid and love the track in these historic cars myself., the Gentleman refer's to a track anomaly which I have also notice myself and in previous online session causing an issue, and more than a few crashes, initially thought of a driver error. It could well be as infered in video a track mesh issue or an accurate "bump" in the track, not unlike "bump" at Interlagos historic outer ring, (considered to be accurate by myself, and not mesh issue..)
    This track I will possibly report a "mesh" if not already done. but first more comments from users req'ed

Time stamp refs If you just want the "bump" comments
    12.oo/ .13.50/.17.00/.20.00 Approximates & also at the end

The 2nd video is a rather informative and accurate Historic video of the tracks history/tragedies and mention of the tracks speed.
    Please enjoy if its your Historic "cup of tea"
    I would love to hear your thoughts from driving here, especially about the "anomoly" "bump'" in Ams2
    version.
    Edit tested today, slightly odd, most laps for me felt fine apart from 3 out of 20

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Maser V6

Time stamp .23 secs.
    Large nuts and car control

Not the sort of thing I see these last years.
    Majic
    LOL can almost feel him feathering throttle, drs sucks imo modernF1

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  13. CrimsonEminence

SO wide slip angles, the car is realligning itself at high speeds on slicks and is catcheable, the car gets unsettled after rejoining the track from a tiny bit of grass running, the car bottoms out, the car breaks loose a lot at braking?
    I don't know man, looks like physics are severely broken.

Also the graphics lack some anisotropic filtering and resolution looks borked....and audio is clipping.

:eek::D

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Maser V6

Bumpy in car cam to
    Yes rather splendid display of class and boll-cks.
    Had fun relearning Bt44 in league race last night, trying to find new happy setup,lol getting there rr wing (less) biggest difference to bring back, back end alive. Fun

15. CrimsonEminence

Defaults should be also softer on dampers now, so maybe it makes the dynamics a bit more pleasing for you, to stiffen suspension parts overall a bit and appropriately to each other. The tires are now definetly more lenient to it, to not make it a total death trap while these adjustments are now having a purpose besides making the car somewhat calm over crests (which should be luckily the past now).

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Maser V6

Not tried the much discuss Nords recently but the aero anomoly "the man" refered to and acknowledged your thoughts on that?

Always ran better stiff for me , but like I say a few miles in yesterday and "getting there"
    May run to try that .46 sec just out out determination and forced resetting of setup to regain feel I had.
    Sidenote. having thoughts on an "AMS2 invitation race" lock lobby, for those that trust each other? (like some test racers and others, or such) once a week.? nothing to formal or over serious

• Like Like x 1
  17. CrimsonEminence

Aero balance has already changed, might still receive very little tweaking (could have still very perceivable effects). What i more was refering to, was the behaviour, when the car regains contact with the ground. That was problematic on the tire of the past version and should now work much better.^^

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Maser V6

I see, I will test again sooner rather than later. Ramsayg felt happy last night also (took top step podium) Commented on Nords positive, not even going to look at his:eek: times !

• Like Like x 1
  19. Maser V6

Did not think mini's were so popular downnnn-unda
    Old track looks good.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  20. CrimsonEminence

Car is saveable? C'mon, another proof, F1 physics are severely broken! :D

scnr! :whistle:

• Agree Agree x 1