1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simracing and graphics engines - Raceroom and Unreal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AosudiF1, Mar 15, 2016.

1. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

My personal feeling is that even if they just grafted the entire presentation, content, feature set and Pmotor physics of AMS across to a modern DX11 gfx engine, Reiza would have arguably the greatest sim on the market. I can't see how they'd take a backwards step in terms of features or performance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dann Murillo

Dann Murillo tinyurl.com/osrdiscord AMS2 Club Member

Agreed tpw.
    Moreover, I am not sure why Richard is saying "their move to Unreal is happening this year". I think we all generally know that the new graphics engine will be part of the Reiza 17 sim. ;)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

R3e does not use ue4. The developers released one or two pictures of it in testing with the possibility of a switch in the future that is all.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

If Reiza directed 100% of their focus to graphics now and keep their physics as it is it's not like Angelina Jolie would visit Reiza dressed as Maleficent and say "your physics shall become poop" you know... games that has good graphics and poor physics are made to be like that.
    I don't really understand where the sense of good graphics equal to bad physics come from, especially when AMS physics are so good.... really people....

Tho I'm pretty sure Reiza guys wouldn't feel sad with Jolie visiting them :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Sims have consistently improved both in graphics and physics over the years. GP4 had better graphics and physics than the original Grand Prix. NASCAR Racing 2003 had better graphics and physics than the original NASCAR Racing. F1C had better graphics and physics than F1-2000. rFactor had better graphics and physics than F1C. rF2 has better graphics and physics than rF. iRacing have just released a DX11 graphics engine but continue to develop their physics engine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. JU Scofield Jr

JU Scofield Jr New Member

Corrrect. The sharp look of Iracing and AMS give a extra realism. I also play and love AC but I don´t really feel i am there sometimes. I am not sure what it is, but there is some kind of distance between you and the track(Maybe the sounds. I think devs subestimate the power of sounds). Also, Iracing and AMS have very life-like replays. Replays in Pcars are a immersion breaker in most parts. The cars don´t seem to be touching the asphalt or belonging to that environment.(A problematic product).

We dont need dualist concepts. We could have a balanced mix of realism and modern graphics. Graphics updates is a must like universe expansion. The cars in AMS need better reflective textures and shadings. Some atmospheric effects like fog/humidity/rain is welcome too.

I think KartKraft can give us a first idea of UE4 in sim racing.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. JuergenBY

JuergenBY Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Last weekend, after a long time, I fired AC up, again. Yes, the sound is horrible and it looks strange, far away from real.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. pennarguy

pennarguy Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The biggest danger to AMS and the new 2017 output is achievements; they messed up A/C.
    AMS is a hard core Track Racing Sim'; it is not meant to be a pick it up and play experience...you have got to work at it.
    Graphics can be great, but not at the expense of the racing.
    With the coming addition of Formula Truck 2013 (updated to AMS standards) the sim will be the most balanced Track Racing Sim' out there.
    Let's keep at least one sim' that is old school; built for racing, on or off line.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Kevin Peat

Kevin Peat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, one lesson from AC is don't do laptime based challenges and then change the car physics so the laptime is impossible. Doh!

10. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Wonder if Renato is keeping an eye on Vulkan

Is it looking like a good way to go or DX is just far safer?

11. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Wow, Vulkan is "green green green" all the time (gpu)
    Vulkan + Linux support will be a win option!!!
    Even for AMS maybe...hum...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  12. Allaeius

Allaeius Beginner AMS2 Club Member

The switch to DX11/DX12 would be a huge leap in performance, aside from getting really good graphics. As long the physics stay strong and realistic, I don't mind at you (or pretty much any developers) going for making the graphics more visually appealing.

Aside from graphics, sounds or the audio will also add to a much better immersion. But well, let's get things done one by one. I'd prefer you guys keep going with where you are headed right now, the physics in AMS is simply one of the best (if not the best) out of all sim racings I've tried.

Keep up the great work and keep us updated too on what other plans you may have for the future too? :)

13. mmaruda

mmaruda Member AMS2 Club Member

If they do consider switching the API, I hope they go with Vulcan. DX12 is Microsoft's thing and looking how they start making those small moves towards a more closed gaming platform is concerning to say the least. Also, Vulcan would probably mean a possible Linux port at some point.

14. DaVeX

Agree, Vulcan will be perfect for a lot of reasons, especially the less or nothing impact on cpu. Even Epic is pushing hard on it, I think Unreal Engine and Vulkan can only be a great opportunity for AMS (the first serious sim on Linux).

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. DaVeX

@Renato Simioni why don't use rF2 dx11 graphic engine for Reiza17? I think could be a great idea for an easy transiction, it can handle AMS phisycs and you can easily move AMS content to new platform, it supports day-night transiction, weather, etc, etc...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Alexandre Sene

Alexandre Sene Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I remembered Reiza mentioned something about dx12 during crowdfunding. But since we have not much more infos about Reiza 2017, your suggestion make a lot of sense.

17. DaVeX

Well I don't know if makes a lot fo sense or not but Reiza stated they are still looking for a new game engine so...
    To be honest I think will be a great option, less pain on porting content and same for modders...
    Reiza and Luminis (Studio-397) worked togheter in the past, so why not?
    We will always have 2 different sims even if they share the same graphic engine they have different content and phisycs...

18. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I would be shocked if Reiza hasn't already considered that; it may already be in the works for all we know. The use of DX11 seems logical given DX12's OS limitation; visual gains probably won't be very significant but, improved performance and VR support are nice upgrades IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Rf2 has to consider existing owners, so can't really opt for DX12. Reiza on the other hand has to look to the long term for their new engine for their new title. Realistically AMS2 is likely to be at least a year away, when Win7 use will be small. Opting for DX12 may well be the best option when you think AMS2 might not be replaced by AMS3 until 2021.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. JuergenBY

JuergenBY Active Member AMS2 Club Member

As a lot of gamer are not willing to move to Win10, it would be better, to go with DX11.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1