1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony tv

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bull Shark, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Hi all,

We have a unused Sony 4K tv 43inch. I thought it will be nice to use it for racing. Or gaming in common.
    I’ve searched for the specs and it stated.

Screen input lag 1ms
    Display Maximum Response time 14ms

Now I know that a low number is always better. But what is the difference between those 2 ?
    Is 14ms really to low? Never had to think of this because I only have played on monitors instead of tv screens.

See link for more info on the tv,

2019 43" Sony KD-43XG7096 Specifications

Yes I just can hook it to my pc ant test but I do want to go through all the hassle and discovery it is a real bad screen for gaming.
    I now have a triple 27inch setup. 7680x1440.

2. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I would advice to put the television on marktplaats. Your triples are superior. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Bull Shark

Yeah for gaming it is perhaps not the fastest screen. Markplaats, no way.

4. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Or you can give it to me :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If I remember correctly the input lag is the time the signal is digitally processed, while response time is the measured between the states (one colour to another, lighten/darken etc)

The metrics are one thing but the feeling is very subjective so I think you should plug it and give it a go to see if it bothers you.

• Like Like x 2
  6. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

TV's are generally awful for games. Low FPS/Hz and low resolution, low color spectrum, lag, etc... You are way better off with your triple setup.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

I used to have a 4k 65” curved Samsung for my simracing. It was actually not too bad on Gaming Mode, but I got a 49” Super Ultra Wide last year and a normal TV doesnt even begin to compare.
    I have since switched to VR tho, but Im still amazed everytime I go back to the flatscreen.
    FOV and Image quality are just leagues better.
    Especially since your TV is only 60 Hz that means youre framerate is also limited to 60fps.

And yeah Marktplaats is the last place Id try to sell it, Id rather give it to the buren…

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bull Shark

My current screens are 60hz as well. So that is not a game changer.
    I just will give it a quick test to see if I like it.
    And indeed VR is the way to go but my current system and oculus Rift are not that great anymore. Had an awful lot of fun with VR bit now I almost never use it anymore. Perhaps someday I’ll buy a new set. For now I’m happy with what I have. As said, I will give the tv a test run.

9. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

I have a Sony Bravia 49 inch from 2018 only full HD (1080p) 60hz and i never saw or felt any input lag.
    I like that thing and mostly use the Kino (cinema) mode,as the picture is a little darker.
    You can use the gameing mode,but it is to bright for my eyes.The Sony are the only TV's that have a analog Headphone jacket.I connected it to my Hifi-Rack.
    PS: You should disable any "picture enhancing " or what ever it is called nonsens for faster input signal and no tearing.Im very satisfied with Sony but not with their always friendly support wich guides you in circles and never listen to their customers. but,they have the best "black level".

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

Nop,disagree total here.
    And movies and TV shows look awful on a triple:D

• Like Like x 1
  11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I started out my PC gaming on a 40" 4k Philips VA 60Hz monitor and I think it was 5ms input lag, 30ms response and it was fine, good even while I was new to PC gaming but I somewhat soon went to 27" 1080p 60Hz triples and it was a definite improvement in feel just because of the lower input and response times. For casual role playing games I think you will be happy with the larger real estate but if you sim race on it I think you will realise how sluggish it will feel.
    Going to 144Hz triples is on another whole league and I would suggest not trying high fps if you don't intend on staying with it. Kind of how I imagine a DD would be over a belt.

12. Bull Shark

thanks. I always turn off any picture enhancement after I power it up for the first time. My Samsung tv is really great without those ugly enhancements. I really don’t know why they put it there in the first place. As said before, I will give the tv a test run. I can shove my triple setup a few meter backwards which will give me the Neede space to temporarily place the tv in front of my wheel.

yeah 144Hz is great but since my system can’t produce 144fps on a triple screen setup it is waisted fps of course. My system will give me 60fps at most in the current used res.

13. Kevin del Campo

If youre on triples now my main concern would be FOV/screen real estate.
    On my 65” I was pretty far from the screen which didnt work at all.
    [​IMG]

Then I went to my old 42” screen but got it pretty close to my face.
    [​IMG]
    Which worked way better but I was still missing the horizontal FOV my super ultra wide gives me now.
    So I dont think Id be too worried about response times etc if the FOV doesnt bother you.

I did end up with the super ultra wide tho and really dig it almost as much as my Reverb G2..
    [​IMG]

Personally I think its a step back though, but if you like it then just roll with it :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Bull Shark

yeah I have to test it. The screen is not that big just a 43inch. I do also think it is a step back, not for the response time but more for the view angle. With my triple setup I have the left and right doors on the left and right when I turn my head. That is something you will miss. On the other hand, I play a lot with the other cams than the cockpit/helmet cam lately. And I do like those as well. I think I’m not a hard core sim racer but more a racer for having some fun.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kevin del Campo

In my opinion if youre racing a car on a screen youre simracing. Ofcourse theres certain degrees to how intricate and realistic you want to make it, but all the rest is bull****.
    Even chase cam ;)

Do what you like and not what others like!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bull Shark

That is what I always say. The one thing to keep in mind is, be sure to have fun. Wheter you race with a several thousand costing sim setup or a simple TV with a joystick. As long as you have fun then that is OK. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's really interesting what combinations work well and which are less satisfying. I most often play using just my 34" ultrawide in 2D, because across every game I play, I know it will just work and I can be on track racing within minutes of booting up. I always use the Reverb G2 for flight sims though, 2D for that just leaves me cold completely. I think it's because you look out of the front of the car in a race sim, but spend at least as much time looking out the sides in a flight sim, so that extra view is really important. When I want the full on racing experience I use the G2+buttkicker+fan, but that sometimes upsets anyone in the next room.
    I sometimes use triples in AMS2, and I have two 19" monitors either side of my 34". It works really well with open wheelers, but the overly large 'A' pillar puts me off a bit in tintops. So a lot depends what mood I'm in, but it's very nice to have such options, we're pretty privileged in terms of gaming history right now.

• Like Like x 2
  18. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Hehe in the opposite end of the spectrum I only have a 20" 2D screen.
    An old NEC 20WGX2.
    But Im dreaming about a G2-ish headset in the future with a Pimax-ish FOV of 170-200 degree.
    But I guess my 10 years old PC with Xeon x5670 / GTX 1060 will selfdestruct :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Bull Shark

Yeah sometimes I forget how fortune I am with all the hardware I’ve got. Although it is not the newest anymore. Already 4 years old now. That said, I is more than enough for me atm.

And indeed a good VR set is high upon my wanna have list but a new VR set and a new PC, I don’t think it will ever happen gain. To much things I want or my fam. Wants

• Like Like x 1
  20. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

The struggle is real indeed :p

• Like Like x 1