Soooo.... what did you drive today?

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Professionalsimracing.com, Mar 13, 2016.

1. CCKaren

CCKaren Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Taking turn 1 at Cascavel in a Superkart probably shaved a few months off my life so I leave them be for my own safety. F3/Superkart mixed class though is one of my favourite silly race setups.

2. Professionalsimracing.com

Professionalsimracing.com Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Re-post from my blog...

AI strength = 105%
    Start position = 22
    Result position = 20 (PB) (Net gained = 2 on lap 1 and lap 5 ; none lost)
    Average lap = 01:48.5389 (PB)
    Incidents = None
    Best lap = 01:44.8800 (PB) (16th fastest of race)
    Possible = 01:44.8617 (PB) (would have still be 16th fastest of race)
    Consistency = 99.47% <> 0.557 (PB) (rank = 15th)
    Full results
    Setup

Best race in some time. Been struggling here somewhat but everything came together here for an excellent underdog performance. No incidents despite two very technical overtakes. Very high consistency, focus and control. Mission accomplished.

3. Pieter Nienhuis

Pieter Nienhuis Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Formula Retro at Imola 1972. The flow and looks of this track are simply terrific !!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Kevin Peat

Kevin Peat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Caterham 360 on Imola '72, a really fun combo.

5. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

GTR Ultima Race, Formula Retro and Formula Vintage at Imola 1972. Over and under-taking on the section from Acque Minerale to Rivazza is seat-of-the-pants stuff. Imola's other configurations have their strengths, but the '72 track just flows in a beautiful, challenging and scary rush. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Professionalsimracing.com

'67 Vintage V12 with recently updated physics at Eastern Creek and Floripa against 100% AI.

Edit - And historic Interlagos ;) ; all three tracks with default setup and fuel.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  7. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The Formula V10 and I brought a few of my Multi Class friends

• Like Like x 2
  8. Scraper

Sorry for this long ramble, but where else would I put it? :)

Although I've been very happy with Automobilista's force feedback, a recent lowering of the Low Force Boost from 80% to 70% has been revelatory. All of a sudden, I can catch slides that previously would always end in disaster. The wheel doesn't feel any different, yet it must be giving me more information. As AMS doesn't have a FFB clipping tool, it's possible that I've been experiencing a placebo effect and the difference is in my imagination. (Note: I lowered the LFB before the last two updates/hotfixes.) But I've been posting faster times on circuits with different cars.

Driving the Formula Retro, as I emerged from under the bridge at Road Atlanta and, as often happens, lost control due to the car going light at the top of the hill, my panicked heaving at the wheel resulted in an outrageous drift from the top to the bottom of the hill and onto the straight. I've never done that before. Similarly, the tricky uphill left-hander at the foot of the S-bends is now a lot more fun with a controlled power slide - again, something that is new to me.

The MCR 2000 has always been stable and reassuring to drive, but the additional control morphed it into a slidey dream machine. I skated around Brands Hatch with a smile on my face as a good sim car became a great sim car.

The Vintage has started to obey me. The Caterham 620? It was already terrific fun. Well, for the first time in AMS, I was deliberately inducing a little oversteer into corners and then counter-steering to get the power on. Never done that before. (I'm not exactly Lewis Hamilton.) The Caterham became intuitive. It sat up and begged.

And as for the GTR Ultima Race... wow. It's always been a struggle just to keep the thing on the track, but now it's manageable. I've caught slides and oversteer that would normally send me into the barriers. Wait three laps for the tires to wake up, and then fast corners become a mixture of terror and exhilaration. It's been such fun that I've finally started to tinker with setups, something that I've been too timid to try in the past. The Road version is still too much of a beast for me (I love the crackling exhaust when downshifting), but the standard Road is finally driveable. However, the Ultima Race, with a sympathetic setup, must be one of the most exciting sim cars around. :eek:

Reiza has done a fantastic job with Automobilista. The FFB, physics, interface, cars and circuits make a very good sim.

So, er, the point of all this gushing? Don't be afraid to experiment with FFB levels and Low Force Boost. Mind you, a clipping tool would help. Maybe the busy Reiza developers could make a fake graphic and call it the Placebo Tool? It would probably fool me! :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Professionalsimracing.com

Wheel used? Wheel SW settings?

10. Scraper

Sorry not to be explicit. I got carried away. :) As it says in my signature, I have a (second-hand) Logitech Driving Force GT.

Logitech profiler settings are conventional:
    Overall strength: 100%
    Spring: 0
    Damper: 0
    Centring spring (enabled): 10%
    Rotation: 900 degrees.

AMS FFB: 100% (though I'm testing what 95% and 90% feel like)
    AMS Low Force Boost: reduced from the recommended 80% to 70%.

EDIT: I've restored Low Force Boost to 80% but have reduced in-game FFB to 95%.

I am quite prepared for all my assumptions about FFB to be found to be hogwash. :confused::)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  11. Professionalsimracing.com

Interesting. I've recently gone in the opposite direction with my G27 which is increasing LFB and lowering FFB strength lol with the idea being lower strength would help clipping but LFB would minimize dead zone. So my settings I think are:

106% profiler strength (i know is redundant / additive to LFB)
    70% in game strength
    80% LFB

12. Scraper

I'll give your FFB and LFB settings a go, although I'll keep my profiler strength at 100% for consistency.

13. Professionalsimracing.com

yep makes sense to use 100% as that is reiza recommendation

14. Professionalsimracing.com

I have some findings from further testing but let's discuss it here

15. Professionalsimracing.com

Back on topic :) I had a great race the other day with the Superlight Std at Le Mas du Clos. Wonderful little track I completely missed until someone just happened to mention it at Race Department.

I'll post my settings and results when back at my PC.

Edit - In the meantime, I almost forgot that I recorded it (old brain) :p

16. Lorencini

Lorencini Luciano Lorencini AMS2 Club Member

Endurance Brasil (MCR2000) in Autopolis (by Giranthon crew).

This car has good power and good grip. And he is very very stable, good handling very comfortable car. The AI behaves very good in this car. That's whats nice in prototypes: the car behaves part as touring, part as openwheel.

And Autopolis seems to be created for this car! Lots of low and mid-speed corners, a dramatic downhill straight drop, and a nice uphill connected-corner section, makes MCR 2000 shine.

Coudn't describe it better. Hands downs THE BEST SPOTTER you will find. He's vivid, he tells you lap times, split times, gaps, if you're reeling someone.... even when you make a mistake, the tells you 'pearls of wisdom', it really helps you to get a grip again.

17. Professionalsimracing.com

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Lorencini

Lorencini Luciano Lorencini AMS2 Club Member

@Professionalsimracing.com really nice car/combo track, isn't it? Aside from the fact that this car feels to be built for this track, the AI in Autopolis with MCR is exceptionally good.

Glad to know my tips about the AI are being useful for your. That's my original intent: to help all fellow simracers to enjoy the most of this sim. You got yourself a new subscriber ;-)

Next time you run with MCR, consider my Endurance Brasil skinpack, I'm sure you're gonna like it: Endurance Brasil - MR18 and MCR 2000

And check it out my personal MCR livery: AMS Modding - Cars (Work in progress)

Regards from Brazil!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Scraper

I recommend the Endurance Brasil skinpack. @Lorencini has produced a high-class mod. It installs without fuss and is an excellent addition to Automobilista. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Professionalsimracing.com

Whoa! Just clicked on links. Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1