1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight4 Studios And Reiza Studios Announce Strategic Partnership

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by VFX Pro, May 19, 2023.

1. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. VFX Pro

Hopefully, this means access to the last Madness engine improvements (assuming the engine team left codemasters/EA).

3. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

SMS and Madness engine on its latest iteration was sold to EA....

On the other hand Reiza was working on Madness engine code but the latest build released during the PC2 development...

I suspect they are starting from that to develop a new one with improved graphics and physics (hoping for multy too) and the 2 teams sharing their knowledge...

4. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

IMHO, GTR2 is the last big deal simulator ever released (aka: A simulator that is amazing right out of the box). I'm already a Straight4 Studios fanboy, even if GTR3 became a meme. And, of course, I'm not an assiduous Reiza Forum user for hating the company... sooooo, I believe that this partnership will come for the best.

Just hope that they don't do a bad decision such as holding together two sims at the market... I would largely prefer that the two companies put their efforts over one big deal sim.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

anything involving Ian Bell is bad, he is completely untrustworthy and spits out lie after lie to sell his products then abandons them, i believe reiza's reputation will take a big hit from this in the long term, they have already gone from excellent physics and reputation in AMS1 to worse physics and a semi dead game in AMS2 because they "partnered" with ian bell once and used the madness engine which has the worst multiplayer code out of all sims

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Robert Gerke

Robert Gerke Member AMS2 Club Member

Oh oh, what am I to think of this?

I was among the first pCars and pCars2 bakers.

First of all, we should all help in the pCars forum, with alpha and beta versions, to define and constantly improve the demands of the sim community.

When many of the passionate PC sim drivers from all over Europe noticed that the multiplayer area is absolutely unsuitable for leagues, we tried to point everything in the right direction in daily postings and discussions, over 3 Years.

No chance. Even after 3 years, Ian was completely resistant to everything we sim users who came from GTR, iRacing, LFS, rFactor, Assetto Corsa.

The multiplayer was very poor, lacking in love, not thought through in detail and immature, so useless for leagues.

It even went as far as that, Ian and the pCars forum banned all those who continued to try Slightly Mad to make it clear that the title is completely useless for league racing and online, simply banned from the forum!

Unfortunately, we still feel the result here in AMS2 - unfortunately still unsuitable for the league and no simple professional TV stream possible. No TV Cams and
    The cars move completely unnaturally in replay MP.

Renato, I just hope you know what you're doing and don't make the same mistake again of neglecting the MP League and e-sports community so much.

I keep my fingers crossed for you to unite a symbiosis of pCars2, iRacing ACC, and AC modding with Ian. The only thing I really lack is faith.

Much luck.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This is exciting news. Ian and the team are a bunch of motorsport nerds with tons of passion, just like Renato and his team.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Alexandre Sene

Alexandre Sene Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

ok you do not like him... But how the guy behind gtr and gtr2 can be put in a phrase like this? "anything involving he is bad". How? :D

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

People say it is because of PC3 AFAIK

Last edited: May 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The only positive I see.....
    Ian's money, and if Reiza is doing the handling... hopefully Ian will finally released a better driving simulation.

That being said, they are using the UE5, new multi channel audio, new AI engine and a new physics engine...my guess in regards to the physics engine is parts of Reiza's isi Pmotor seta tire model data from AMS2

Not exactly sure how this will benefit AMS2 and how this partnership is actually working..... collaboration or merger?

Guess we will see in a couple of days when Renato is supposed to give an update.

In regards to the future game....
    Seeing as it's main audience, money wise is targeting the consoles (Xbox & PS5) I will be once again hesitant of any of Ian's inevitable claims that are surely to come, claiming this game will be the next generation ultimate racing simulation.

Until than....I'll wait for the communities reviews after release before buying and hope Ian doesn't announce the sequel a month later and turn the series into another cash cow lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Guys, why are you speculating about money, licenses and whatsoever?

Partnership means no one owns the other, they are just going to share their knowledge while working on their titles...

If Renato and team discover a flaw on the physics engine (hi 1.5 update!) and Ian fixes the shadows bug/issues on Madness engine (or even better he develops it further overall) makes perfect sense for both teams sharing their knowledge saving time and resources for both...

Why are all panicking?
    It was like that already?!
    Do you think Ian gave them access to madness code for philanthropy?
    They share some common goals, now we know it for sure, that's it....

Also, while I don't trust Ian on the other hand I don't see the reason for bashing him, he did some good things too, GTR2 is an example, Madness itself even if broken it isn't too different from other physics engines...so maybe this time could potentially be back on its roots and nail it again...."potentially"...

We have only to wait and see, our moaning wouldn't change or fix things still to happen ..

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Kurupt CDN

Ian keeps using the GTR series as his claim to fame, he was the CEO of Blimey games at the time (money man) , the engine used was the isimotor, the majority of the devs that worked on those games were rfactor and simbin devs.

The projects cars series and his marketing is what gave him the bad rep among many community members.

He feed us the lines of a community assisted racing simulator (Projects C.A.R.S) no publisher deadlines, long term support, ultimate racing simulation, (not investors) etc. etc.
    Ya most of us made a little money from his pitch, but the series never turned out to be what he claimed it would.
    It turned out, we just funded his Project Cars franchise start up.

Bandai Namaco became the publisher, game got released early, community feedback and concerns were overlooked, members banned, he even payed a YouTuber to keep quiet(now the game design director of Straight4),
    he announced the development of PC2 was starting a month after the launch of PC1 which only had a 1 yr post release support, than cut out the community involvement and feedback and ended with the awesome racing simulation that was Project CARS 3 lol

Last edited: May 22, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 8
  13. VFX Pro

Hopefully UE5 won't have the annoying "running shadows" going along the walls and the softness of ACC... :(

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Alexandre Sene

Alexandre Sene Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I understand your point of view. I was just kidding with the statements that were made.
    the phrase "anything is bad". IMO this should change to: "Something of him is bad"
    Anything is too much for a guy who brought us GTR series.

15. Kurupt CDN

Or "lately he has been bad" lol

Hopefully, with this next title, he will have learned from his mistakes and make up for it going forward.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Given that this is the Reiza forum I think it's fair to accept their choices. I'm sure there are other forums on the internet where bashing Ian Bell would be a welcome pastime, but if Renato and his team have made a choice to work with the ex SMS team I think it's a bit disrespectful to be so negative in these threads. There seem to be a lot of people here with very fixed views about what Ian Bell is or isn't responsible for, yet Renato continues to have faith in the project overall so personally that'll do for me. Maybe he has an accurate take on all of this.
    It's also been documented that Ian/SMS giving Reiza use of the Madness engine was actually a pretty generous gesture, and it has worked out to the benefit of simracing as a hobby as well as all of us who enjoy it.

• Agree Agree x 10
  17. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I get the impression that many people want to focus very selectively on what Ian did or did not say. I have no reason to defend Ian, he obviously is a polarising character, but he also admitted in public that mistakes were made in the past and I think as a customer and simracer at some point you have to recognise that, move on and maybe consider giving people a chance.

Usually people or companies learn from their failures, so I'm confident that with better tech and even more experience now amazing things are on the horizon. I can't wait to see what they're working on.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The big issue with Ian Bell is that he is a business man first and foremost, those that blatantly lie just for the ends (PC3 promo, just 1 example). I was a member of NoGrip way back and saw his pitch of WMD and the crowdfunding for PC1, everything was peaches and cream until publishers ($$) got interested and long story short we ended with PC3.

The big worry for many I believe including myself, is that due to this strategic partnership, AMS2 development stalls. But as many have said we don't know the nature of the partnership and what it entails, so as long as there is no official info we can just speculate.

At the end of the day both Reiza and S4S are in this to make $$, yes some are more passionate at what they do than others, but all the passion in the world won't fill your stomach without $$. So I am just hoping that Reiza gets their $$ worth of their passion for the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

ever heard of that saying about leopard and spots?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Enagee

Enagee jim joneZ AMS2 Club Member

When I hear the Bell I think a politician....Good intentions, with great promises but once in power, promises go out the window, and it's about the next election.
    As people, I think we tend to forget very easily and forgive continuous offenders.
    How many of you got PC3?

I think this partnership will be great for Reiza but you can't blame people for being skeptical when you hear the Bell ringing again and again.....

Last edited: May 23, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1