1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight4 Studios And Reiza Studios Announce Strategic Partnership

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by VFX Pro, May 19, 2023.

1. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

Screenshot_20230524_174637_YouTube.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. nito-ibz

nito-ibz Active Member

they will use Unreal Engine 5...so nothing about madness engine

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That might all well be true, idk. Someone who had access to the code can confirm or dismiss what you're describing. PC3 isn't even the topic, and the pCARS series isn't their only work. One thing that could be distilled from Ian's words in the aftermath is that he wasn't responsible alone for the 'trajectory' the franchise took. Bandai Namco had a say in pretty much everything.

Mistakes were made, Ian humbly admitted it even if he's the guy who likes using big words. I think that deserves at least a tiny bit of respect and an open mind for future projects. We could also just take a superficial look and keep bashing him forever ofc because it is so popular in the simracing community.

Let's not forget also how much SMS did for the simracing genre as a whole. Tons of people started with pCARS as their first simracing game and are hooked since then. I also think 'simulation by marketing only' is very harsh and maybe even untrue. SETA alone proves you wrong. pCARS 2 even simulated air density, heat transfer from brakes into tyres etc.etc.

Last edited: May 24, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Chillblast

Chillblast Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not a big fan of ian bell, he's the peter molyneux of sim racing but hopefully this partnership will help both reiza and straight4 both in growth and sales.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the whole thing.

EDIT - something else to consider is that straight4's forthcoming sim has a publisher attached to it, and in most cases, publishers come with deadlines and sales expectations which almost always have a negative impact on development.

5. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I just hope that they will throw UE5 overboard. ACC has to fight with UE4 very much what the performance. Rennsport has the same problems with UE5 and Kunos has with AC2 UE already buried probably not without reason.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Develop Madness Engine into Madness Engine 2. Unreal's demanding way too much for triples and 49inch monitors, etc. Simracing is about physics driving and gameplay, and the thrill of racing against AI or humans. Eyecandy is the last thing on the list. Thats why I like Madness. It's not the most prettiest, but it can be pretty, like the sunset, sunrise, cars, weather, etc. Imho, I won't mind AMS1/AMS 2/RBR graphics. I know these engines can be pumped to the max and look the best ever.

Last edited: May 25, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

You can have all the little bits of the engine set up to simulate...

But if the numbers entered into the physics params are incorrect, doubled up or plainly absent you aren't simulating anything... Hence you can have an arcade game and a simulation run on the same engine...

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Maybe AMS2 can get this

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It would be great for replays, I personally, would never run it during a race. Tho it would be super cool if they implemented a spotter mode.

The only downfall atm is AMS2 uses steam user names which could be super annoying when a player with a tag like ABCD12345#! Joins the server.
    It also has a profanity filter that when even turned off won't let some users use there full real name.....example myself.
    Last name is Slute...when I edit my in-game profile, in ai races it just says my first name.

I have the same problem on Xbox... discrimination I tell ya lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Scar666

Crew chief is a great example of how bad this recognition system could be... Although it's had it's funny moments...

I regular race against people with names of petey, Slow and christopheraser... Who Crew Chief turn into Petty, Salo and Tristan...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah unreal is quite awful with its optimization

Since UE4

12. ricxx

I'm not sure if you're talking about PC3 or the franchise in general. I'm fully aware that in PC3 in some areas things were simplified a bit for the 'fun factor'. Iirc they explained that with every physics calculation update tyre temps would revert to an optimum value and therefore never overheat e.g.

Are we sure that other titles have the 'correct' numbers dialed in? I highly doubt it. What does correct numbers' even mean? How do you determine what the correct numbers would be for barometric pressure differences between Red Bull Ring and Algarve e.g. and the impact on naturally aspirated engines vs. turbocharged? Isn't it true that often even data from manufacturers for suspension geometry e.g. are incorrect, outdated or even non existent?

If you read Casey's 'The Physics of DLC' threads then it was clear that these guys are passionate, these guys are motorsport fanatics. The level of detail was quite astonishing.

Anyways, as I said earlier SMS does not exist anymore and the pCARS series wasn't their only project. Ian has gathered a lot of people from the old more glorious days around him it seems. These are capable people and imo that's exactly why other capable people like Renato are willing to team up with them. I personally can't wait to see what they come up with.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Personally I think this profanity filter thing is a joke.
    I mean we are adults and dont need to be treated like children who by all means must be protected against all the worlds realities.

ByTheWay: Its a bit ironic that such profanity filters are most prevalent in countries where almost everybody is able to buy and use pretty deadly weapons. But they are not allowed to use profanity words.:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Scar666

Franchise in general... 1-3 all have the same rushed poor physics...

I've not touched any files from PC3 nor have I ever driven it, so all of my complaints are largely on 1 and 2... Which I never liked to drive... Now I know why in even more detail than before...

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. ricxx

I didn't buy PC3 when it was released because of the numerous reports of poor graphics. I bought it when it was on sale and indeed graphics weren't even near PC2 standard. There were a few things that I didn't like but overall I enjoyed it, it was a refreshing change from the usual circuit racing routine.

They even had built an online matchmaking system with scheduled races but by the time I got the game the online part was already dead, sales numbers weren't that great apparently.
    If you get the chance to buy it on sale, it wasn't completely terrible imo.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  16. Scar666

By the time PC3 came around, PC1 and PC2 had already given me plenty of reasons to never try PC3... Reports of it being worse in the simulation department after release than PC2 had me further turned off on it...

Graphics are pretty meaningless to me if what's under the hood isn't right... Hence I stuck with rF2 for some many years whilst the eye candy of the pCARS series as well as ACC existed... As neither could even sniff the level of detail that went into rF2s best mods...

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. ricxx

I think the times where you have to make compromises and choose between physics/handling and graphics are over. For me personally it is a huge immersion breaker if you can tell by the graphics that you're driving in a game. It is a different story if you're seeing a lifeless and dull landscape in the background or beautiful sky boxes like ME is capable of or Pure for AC e.g.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Scar666

Yes and no...

People still want good AI and you can't really have both in the ME and AC... Despite the improvements made in both there's still a vast gap in comparison to the lower end of the eye candy range... Especially when you account for the AI... AMS1 holds up really well in this regard to this day...

19. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

There still be the monitor borders for that (or VR limited fov). :p

20. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Im following different forums about the latest in VR prototypes.
    And related to this immersion thing then some reviewers with some kind of surprised attitude are telling that something weird happens with the brain when the picture quality comes near the natural retina resolution.
    It does begin to happen when the VR resolution gets up to real 4K for each eye.
    The brain says: What What is this real?
    Not joking here.:cool: