1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terrible performance in VR in rain and night conditions

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Alejandro Lopez, May 21, 2021.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

With FSR working on both AMD and nVidia I hope Reiza will add it to help AMS2 with these performance issues.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. doclucio

doclucio New Member

hi guys, alejandro is perfectly right, same conditions and settings in vr on some track work perfectly, in some others is a mess, no matter what you do.hockenheim is a perfect example, really think is a matter of bad optimization

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

I can't say whether it's worse since update or not, but there's a huge delta in performance in VR/G2 for dry vs. fog/rain/night... I recall having to drop SS% by 10% or so previously, but some tracks are far worse than others and have to go to 50% now (might as well use my Q2 :) ) .... the new DLC tracks are more demanding than any others I've tried, so perhaps there's a 'performance pass' to do on them, which is something I've seen Reiza do on existing tracks over the past year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Xblurone

Xblurone Member AMS2 Club Member

Lighting from behind is a gpu killer. Set shadows to low and reflections to medium at max for rain / darkness. My 2080ti OC can keep up in the worst of situations but I run Quest 2 on VR and set the FOV-Tangent multiplier to 0.75 ; 0.5 to severely reduce the number of pixels needing to be calculated without quality reduction (max resolution and in-game supersampling to 1.3 - MSAA low). Field of view is like in a helmet that way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Rob Davies

If it helps G2/WMR users, I got about 20% improvement last night moving to latest SteamVR / Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR betas.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Rob Davies

Also I discovered turning HAGS off (control panel->graphics settings) made a big improvement in the variability of FPS in VR across the same track. Much better.

Attached Files:

7. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

And replays are a big killer, last night had it drop to 48fps at one stage watching first few corners and this is on a single screen. Definitely some work needs doing there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 2ndLastJedi

Yeah but you don't have a great PC or anything...maybe think about an upgrade :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. F1Aussie

Yeah, righto, what do you suggest? :p:D

10. 2ndLastJedi

I suggest we swap PC's :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  11. F1Aussie

Lol, nice try.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Guilherme Bencke

Guilherme Bencke New Member

Maybe a NASA supercomputer will run rain sessions at 90fps in VR

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

delete

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Nupol

Nupol New Member

Just finished tweaking the settings. Made so much tests... And I can also confirm that in VR performance tanks if it's dawn, night and wet with reflections!
    19:00 at dawn fps tanks (doesnt matter if shadows are off) if it's getting dark instant fps tank.
    please REIZA fix this.

15. Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman Member

Ah I see more people are having this issue since V1.3. My CPU can't maintain the frametimes now eventhough it's at 23% occupancy. Not just my system then.

16. Nupol

Nupol New Member

just want to remind REIZA of their statment on AMS2 Website:

ACCESSIBLE VISUAL REALISM

Automobilista 2 combines world-class graphics with optimized performance to offer glorious visuals even on less-powerful systems, and one of the best VR experiences of any racing game

X doubt

please fix Reiza i want to drive in rain / night / dawn in VR so badly

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  17. Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman Member

Has anyone tried these conditions with shadow detail OFF? I did more testing and with no shadows there is no issue at all. But even shadows on LOW introduce CPU lagging which causes high frametimes. I bet this has something to do with the new way of rendering shadows because it used to be so much better.

• Informative Informative x 3
  18. Nupol

Nupol New Member

As I already wrote I also did test many scenarios with shadows off. The fps tanks aswell. I tried hockenheim 19:00 partly cloudy / clear and if it's getting dark fps is down even with shadows off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Yep, I ran a similar test. Nurburgring Veedol, 18:00 (low sun but not quite low enough to trigger the frame rate drop). Field of 21 cars (GT3), started mid pack. Most settings High/Ultra, with Grass OFF, MSAA Medium. I get a full 90 FPS no problems (do not run motion smoothing). SteamVR SS 130%. Vive Pro.

I then try the same race just 1 hour later and BAM, stutter/reprojection. I even tried with all settings Low and I still get stutter (reprojection) which seems rather odd given it was just 1 hour later. There is a time when the frame rate takes a complete nose dive and settings seem to make very little difference to recovering the frame rate. Same happens if I use weather that is Medium rain or worse (Light rain has absolutely no issues).

Funny thing is if I use a car that has no headlights (Sprint car for example), I get no issues which is why I thought it had something to do with headlights but I have no real clue any more.

20. Nupol

Nupol New Member

Guess the non montly subscription king of VR racing has fallen. What a shame..