1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Testing Multiplayer Screen Freezes (V1.4.1.3 onwards).

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Matt The Sim Racers Arms, Sep 15, 2022.

1. lupo7897

lupo7897 New Member

same problem. whether multiplayer or single player. been trying for months what it could be. no solution in sight. aggravating :(

• Like Like x 1
  2. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

With UDP off on my Side Isn't so bad since december even on ranked

With UDP ON ( settings 3) I can see shuttering even on non-ranked.

3. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

You may not get the level of telemetry you want, but if you set it higher you might be able to find a level that works for you, as higher numbers share less data... Try 6 through to 9 and see if you can get a better on track experience...

Reading through this thread I'm thinking there could be 2 other possibilities...

1. Pit crew detail... Before disabling this feature I was experiencing a lot of stutters during online races... Setting it to just show your pit crew still produces a stutter when you cross the last sector timing beam as that's when it loads your crew... And as that can be the middle of a corner at some tracks I leave it on "none"...

2. Picking the right spatial anti-aliasing for your GPU makes a difference... Nvidia users like myself will see stuttering and FPS drop offs if you do not use the SMAA options... MSAA off and SMAA Ultra is buttery smooth in comparison to any other spatial anti-aliasing type for me...

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Matt The Sim Racers Arms Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thank you for your suggestions, regarding Pit Crew Detail - where do you control that I can't see for looking

1. Pit crew detail... Before disabling this feature I was experiencing a lot of stutters during online races... Setting it to just show your pit crew still produces a stutter when you cross the last sector timing beam as that's when it loads your crew... And as that can be the middle of a corner at some tracks I leave it on "none"...

5. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

In Performance options

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Scar666

I've since come across another issue that could be causing these stutters... Ranked servers... There are issues with the ranking system that cause similar issues to that described in your OP...

I'm currently trying to take notes on this issue myself, but others who have run leagues have done tests with and without rankings and the rankings system definitely has bugs that cause jittery graphics in AMS2...

• Like Like x 1
  7. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

This is what Matt isolate as problem and we documented many Time ..

• Like Like x 1
  8. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

On VR with the HP G2 at overall résolution 150% and almost everything to ultra I got from 75 to 53% with SMAA ultra instead if MSAA which is a Nice gain. The down Side is the less nice looking image but could be interesting with rain when the GPU goes à 93% on SMAA.

However this doesn't clear the freeze problem unfortunatly.

9. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Update on "testing multiplayer screen freezes" no hardware/software changes

Running V1.4.3.2.2202

Wednesday 15th Feb 2023

20:45 15+ lobbies - RANKED/U1000 - 26 Racers (0 ai) - 10 min - Not Fxd Setup - Monza - GT3 - 6 DNF - Damage Yes.
    From 2 min in BIG STUTTERS & continued through race.
    *Note at least one other had the same issue.
    21:10 15+ lobbies -
    RANKED/U1000 - 26 Racers (0 ai) - 10 min - Not Fxd Setup - Bathurst - GT3 - 8 DNF - Damage Yes.
    3 min in BIG STUTTERS then BIG FREEZE (FFB+Pedal+Sound still working) causing a big crash.
    I continued to race with major damage and suffered STUTTERS through the remaining laps.
    *Note at least two others had the same issue.
    #Multiplayer-Freezes

10. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

@Matt The Sim Racers Arms .. maybe look at Who host the session.
    As this is a P2P even you have a dedicated server There is still one player kind of hosting the game. Wondering if the ping of the host is part of the équation.

Or maybe if the host quit during the session and the "hosting" jump to an another one something wierd hapend

11. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Running V1.4.3.2.2202

Friday 17th Feb 2023

20:25 15+ lobbies - RANKED/U100 - 17 Racers (0 ai) - 5 laps - Not Fxd Setup - Oulton Park - P4's - 4 DNF - Damage NO.
    Lap 3 BIG FREEZE 4 seconds (FFB+Pedal+Sound still working) .
    *Note at least one other had the same issue.

12. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

UNRANKED - 7 Racers (0 ai) - 8laps- Not Fxd Setup - Barthust - 2 DNF - Damage Yes.
    BIG STUTTER when Host crashed and jumped back to pit

13. Scar666

That is one of my biggest problems with this crappy p2p set up... The host changeover...

It has caused so many accidents and bugs... Plus it also makes joining a league server annoying as you either have to wait for the host or have everyone but the host leave the server during practice to get the host to be the correct person...

14. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This has started happening for me quite recently mainly in multiplayer but also at least couple of times in time trial. UDP frequency has been off.

Yesterday it did it again (not sure what host did, but there wasn't any host changeover that is for sure) badly for a second or few seconds (sound, ffb etc continued). At this time CPU utilization for AMS2 process dropped clearly. It was over 20 person lobby.

The only changes in recent times in my setup has been a) second screen for dashboard etc b) some changes what simhub overlays I use.

15. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Have you guys tried the NVida Control Panel setting: Shader Cache Size in the Global settings, and set it to 10GB.
    And turn off all pit activity display in game options.

16. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

I tried and no change ... Happend even on non ranked session

17. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

I’m having it in single player. Cpu gpu are cool temps. No other sim does it. I’ll try the few suggestions I’ve seen in here

18. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Not sure is it too soon to make any conclusions, but the problem started happening around the time I started to hook up second monitor for dash or other monitoring use (my main is Neo Odyssey G9). I thought it could be related to the problem, so a week ago I disconnected it altogether to see whether it would help with the screen freeze issue. After racing now quite a few hours since that, I haven't had a single freeze happened. Almost all of the racing has been online in both ranked and unranked sessions and one was even 90 minute online race.

Can't remember anything other significant change in my setup, which might have played a part. There could have been some simhub overlays I started using that I don't use now, but can't remember exactly did I used those already before the problem started to happen.

EDIT: week more has passed with quite a few hours of racing and still no freeze. At some point I'm going to plug and start using that second screen again and see if it's starts to freeze again. If it does, I'm fairly confident that in my case at least, the problem is linked somehow to that second screen (where the game doesn't run).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 3
  19. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Running V1.4.7.0.2277

After running a few ranked lobbies in V1.4.6.. and experiencing big stutters but no freezes, whilst testing V1.4.7.0 (Beta/ReleaseCandidate (includes the Historic Nords)) I suffered a major screen freeze during a race at Bathurst.
    I really hope that the imminent public release of V1.4.7.? doesn't include the major 'Screen Freeze' issue and also gets rid of the big stutters as in V1.4.6.

#Multiplayer-Freezes

20. EdLeigh92

EdLeigh92 New Member

Just wanted to add to this. Trying to race on Racecraft, (brilliant idea and service btw. PLEASE POPULATE!), and in every race I do, regardless of length, track, car etc. At some point I will have a complete screen freeze of between 10 to 30 seconds. My car is still live on track, can hear I'm moving, ffb is still live and when I inevitably hit something, when my screen unfreezes I have damage. Getting very frustrating now. Game works as flawless as ever offline.

Oh and I'm in VR on a rift s. Any ideas from anyone I'm open to suggestions.