1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The SIM Dashboard Community Designs Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XTRMNTR2K, Apr 9, 2022.

1. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

So... I continue to have a bit of an addiction problem it seems. :oops:

On the upside, this means new SIM Dashboard content specifically for AMS2! :D So it's not all bad, eh?

So far we've had the generic Formula Vintage cars as well as the Brabham. This means only the Lotus is left and the F-Vintage classes are fully covered! Here we go:

Lotus 49C for AMS2
    [​IMG]

To be honest I can't believe no one had attempted the Lotus 49C or Brabham BT26A before. At least I couldn't find any existing community designs using the corresponding keywords.

In terms of layout this one is based on the car we have in the sim, although I obviously had to condense everything in order to fit all four dials on the screen. Overall I'm quite pleased with the design, although I am still pondering if I should have tried and get the steering wheel with the lotus badge somewhere in there. ;)

After I was done with the Lotus I also went back to the Brabham once more and fixed a few minor issues and added custom needles to the side dials. Nothing too major of course, but being a perfectionist I couldn't leave it as it was. :p
    (For example, I noticed the temperature range I set for oil and water was too narrow at 40-120 - oil can easily surpass 120°C in this car - , and that just wouldn't do!)

Brabham BT26A for AMS2
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. XTRMNTR2K

You know what happens when one says "oh I'll just do this one thing quickly, surely it won't take much time"? I don't know about you, but I usually end up spending the rest of my day doing whatever was supposed to take "just a few minutes"... :oops:

So while I was pondering which dashboard to make - preferably one that's a quick and easy job - I decided to finish the GT3 class. The M6 and 911 were already done, which meant the AMG GT3 and McLaren 720S were still due to receive their own SIM Dashboard designs.

Granted, there are quite a few 720S GT3 community designs out there, so this was more a bit of practice for me than sheer necessity. But I enjoy doing these - I learn something new with every design I make - so no harm done, right? This is what the result looks like:

McLaren 720S GT3 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

Not the prettiest design, nor does it have the most features, but it works and is as authentic as possible. Though I wonder if the real thing doesn't have more than one page of information... (I'm sure it does!)

Next up is the Mercedes-AMG GT3. There are also a few community designs available, though most aren't really offering what I was looking for. Javimoh has a pretty good one, though!

As for my own design, I have to admit that by the time I thought I was done I noticed that there were more pages - by accident, no less... So being a perfectionist I naturally decided to cover those extra pages as well. :D

Mercedes-AMG GT3 for AMS2 Page 1/3
    [​IMG]

Mercedes-AMG GT3 for AMS2 Page 2/3
    [​IMG]

Mercedes-AMG GT3 for AMS2 Page 3/3
    [​IMG]

Gotta say I'm happy with the results! This one is extremely close to the dash featured in AMS2, with the addition of ABS info, a brake bias popup for pages 1 and 2, as well as the number of remaining laps for page 3. Other than that it's pretty much identical. Even the LED bars work the same way - that is, the center bar shows the upper RPM range in green, and once hitting ~98% of max RPM, all three LED units turn orange (and will start blinking after 1.5 seconds, but who's remaining at max RPM for that long?!). The left and right LED bars also double as pit limit indicator.

In terms of look, authenticity and functionality this has got to be one of my favorite designs so far, along with the Porsche 911 GT3 / Cup. I definitely had a lot of fun making this one, and I hope you'll enjoy using it just as much! :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. XTRMNTR2K

If you know me you know I love Porsche race cars, so it's a bit awkward for me that still haven't covered the 962 and 911 RSR 3.0 yet. I've had plans for both for a long time, but never really got around to it.

Either way, the 911 RSR 3.0 is done, although I might end up tweaking the visuals a bit more in the future.

Porsche 911 RSR 3.0 (1974) for AMS2
    [​IMG]

This dashboard actually posed quite a challenge to me. Not just because of the cutout-style oil and fuel gauges, but also because of the scale and placement of the dials. It's reasonably close to the real thing, but readability remains an issue due to the small numbers. And I hate wasting space - there's just so much empty, unused space!

Anyhow, It's fully functional, including dials that light up when the headlights are turned on.

Let me know if you have any ideas how to improve this design (or any of the others).

P.S.: The second dial from the left, which is supposed to show how much oil remains (the unit used is quarter liters, AFAIK) doesn't actually work that way. I sort of faked it by linking it to fuel load with a smaller range, so the needle does in fact move over time. Just FYI.

• Like Like x 1
  4. XTRMNTR2K

Spent some time trying various cars yesterday, especially ones I hadn't driven in a while. And I must say I was totally floored by the Group A cars! That 190E Evo II feels especially good - so communicative and precise! - and the M3 is just as much fun!

Needless to say I was immediately thinking of creating my own dashboards for them. :D

The M3 will take a little more work than usual I think, but the 190E was (for the most part) straightforward enough:

Mercedes-Benz 190E EVO II DTM for AMS2
    [​IMG]

It's very simple and easy to read - I like it!

Hopefully I will be able to post the BMW M3 Sport Evo by this time tomorrow... :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. XTRMNTR2K

Yesterday I promised I would create a dash for the BMW M3 Sport Evo Group A - and I did!

BMW M3 Sport Evo Group A for AMS2
    [​IMG]

There seems to be some redundancy in this car's instruments, namely the water and oil temperature gauges. Instead of having both of them be exactly the same I decided to have one in degrees Celsius and the other in Fahrenheit instead. That way you can use whichever you prefer! And if you don't like it, just remove the ones you don't want and make a duplicate of the one you need. It's pretty much a 2-minute fix at most. :)

Today I present another dash for a car that is dear to my heart. The Sprint Race used to be my favorite car in all of AMS2 in its early days - I know it was broken with its insane handling and otherworldly cornering ability, but it was just SO. MUCH. FUN!

That being said, I tried it again yesterday and it seems to be in a good place right now. You can still ride the limit to some degree, and it's fun. The capabilities have obviously been reigned in to a more realistic degree, but that's fine. It's a fun car that serves as a great learning experience before moving on to the stock cars, which can be more of a handful compared to the Sprint Race.

Sprint Race for AMS2
    [​IMG]

Please note that this design isn't completely original; Michael Labajos had already created a Sprint Race dashboard a long time ago and mine is based on his work. The background is new, I tweaked the LED and RPM bars and swapped the water temp display for oil temperature - but other than that it still has the same functionality. Works well enough, IMHO. Let me know if you like it!

• Like Like x 2
  6. XTRMNTR2K

Sometimes, 'good' results are fine and dandy. At other times, merely 'good' won't do.

When I came across onboard footage of the McLaren 720S GT3 as it is being used in the British GT series, I realized that the dash I created for the 720S wasn't all that realistic - or complete, for that matter. And the same goes for the display in AMS2 as well.

So I set myself three goals:
    1. Create a good-looking, informational base design for the 720S GT3
    2. Make a three-page design out of it covering just about all the information you could need
    3. Complete the GT3 series by giving the M6 an overhaul as well
    Number one and two are already done, so all that remains is giving the M6 GT3 the same treatment.

But until that one is ready, I present to you my latest creation, the 720S GT3 multi-page dashboard!

McLaren 720S GT3 Page 1/3
    [​IMG]

McLaren 720S GT3 Page 2/3
    [​IMG]

McLaren 720S GT3 Page 3/3
    [​IMG]

The first page (Race 1) is closely based on the real display. The only thing I had to substitute was predicted lap time, I think.

For the other pages (Race 2, Qualifying) I looked for inspiration in other existing designs across various apps, such as Simhub. Aside from that, I tried to stick with data and presentation that would naturally fit in with the existing design, and I like to think that I succeeded.

The list of features for each page is rather long; apart from popups for pit limiter and brake bias (which I like because they save space when not needed) one of the things I really like is the inclusion of slip/lock indicators combined with flag LEDs (the 5 LEDs to each side of the screen). The upper and lowermost lights display slipping (green) and locking (blue) wheels, while the three middle lights change color based on flag status.

The RPM LEDs are also as close to the real car as possible, with an added Pit Limit mode in yellow (you can remove that if you don't like it); the lights also turn blue when max RPM is reached just like in the real car! That's one feature the car in AMS2 doesn't have. (Which may actually be correct, as the 720S in the sim represents a model that was used in the Império Endurance Brasil series in 2019 I think.)

I won't throw the term "masterpiece" around just like that, but I think this is one of my best SIM Dashboard designs yet. Makes the already fun 720S even more fun to race, IMHO! :D

I hope you like it!

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. XTRMNTR2K

After a few hours of hard work, the BMW M6 GT3 is finally done - for real this time. :D

This also marks the completion of the GT3 class. Yay!

BMW M6 GT3 Page 1/3
    [​IMG]

BMW M6 GT3 Page 2/3
    [​IMG]

BMW M6 GT3 Page 3/3
    [​IMG]

Onboard footage of the BMW M6 GT3 has been tremendously helpful in figuring out what the real dash looks like and what kind of information is being displayed. The first page is modeled closely after the real car, with only two bits of information missing that I couldn't figure out (located below tire temps/pressures). There is also a kind of counter opposite the "PSL" (Pit Speed Limiter) sign when the limiter is active, which I assume is a timer that indicates how much time is spent in the pit lane (especially useful in series that have a minimum pit stop duration).

With that being said I couldn't find any information if the real display has more than one page, but I figured I would provide something with similar information the other GT3s have - with one screen being focused on session and fuel data, and the other being all about timing.

Oh, and one thing about the tire data background color: I know the car in AMS2 uses a red background, which is what I used in my older design as well. And based on some older onboard footage of the real car, an orange-red color was used in the past as well.

All newer footage however reveals this yellow (sometimes almost greenish) color as background, or some kind of color coding (probably based on temperature) for each individual tire. As far as I understand, the orange-red color is otherwise only being used when tire data is unavailable and still being initialized (i.e. after a tire change during a pit stop), and then switches to the standard or dynamic color once that information is available.

If someone has a better understanding of this display (or any other!) then please feel free to correct me! :)

Overall this was a lot of work, but also a great learning experience. And trying to figure out what's what based on real onboard footage and then trying to recreate it in Photoshop and SIM Dashboard is a lot of fun. :D

By the way, since the GT3, GTE and a other classes have been completed (to my satisfaction, that is), I think I should probably make a list of all the classes that have been covered in their entirety - in case anyone finds that information useful. :)

EDIT:
    Added list of fully completed AMS2 classes to the first post.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. XTRMNTR2K

Today I have something else for a change. While my most recent designs were all based on specific cars or classes in AMS2, this one represents a specific real life car that isn't found in AMS2 (although we have two cars that are closely related - the F-V10 Gen1 and Gen2, representing F1 cars of approx. 1997 and 2000):

Benetton B199 F1 1999
    [​IMG]

To be honest I didn't have any plans for this car at all, but that changed when I came across this onboard video. That being said, the car in the video apparently doesn't have the original engine, and I am not a hundred percent sure if this style of wheel was used in 1999. If someone can provide images of the car as it was used back in 1999, I would be immensely grateful. :)

The dash itself is rather simple: RPM, Gear, Oil Temperature and Oil and Fuel Pressure. Aside from those, Brake Bias and Pit Limiter popups - and nothing else. Not much compared to the wealth of information modern GTs and Formula cars present to their drivers. :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. XTRMNTR2K

Having a fondness for all things Group C, it was only a matter of time before I would try my hand at the 962C. As a matter of fact, I am shocked that to this day no one had come up with a 962 or 956 SIM Dashboard layout for *any* sim! Time to rectify that.

Porsche 962C for AMS2
    [​IMG]

Now I will say that this is only somewhat loosely based on the AMS2 car. When I was looking for reference photos of the 962C I quickly realized there is and was no one correct configuration; it appears that various teams had different cockpit layouts, and those were probably modified even further as time went on.

So I started by including the most important dials from the car we have in AMS2 - RPM, turbo boost, oil and water temperatures (AMS2 even has a gearbox oil temperature gauge, but I don't think there is shared memory data available for that) and oil pressure (the last one being cut off because, let's face it, it's usually not that important - and screen space is limited, anyway).

I then added the shift light, and later an engine warning and pit speed limiter lamp as well. (I know the pit limiter light isn't really authentic for a car of this era, so feel free to remove it.)

The Bosch displays for speed and lap time weren't originally planned; but when I saw that some real world 962Cs had been equipped with one or two of these, I thought it might make sense to add this information while still retaining a degree of authenticity. As with the pit limiter LED, if you don't want these you can simply removing the corresponding widgets.

There are also several buttons and switches, but I didn't assign those as they were mostly added as visual elements. If you want, however, you can assign functions to them, or move them around to a more convenient location.

This took me longer than expected to be honest - I actually spent a lot of time working on the graphics for the gauges themselves. That being said, I'm still not that happy with the overall aesthetics of the dash, as I find the whole design to look a bit distracting. Maybe I'll come back to this design another day for a bit of polish.

As for the Sauber C9, I'm undecided as of yet if I am even going to attempt it. So far I have been using one of Bono's designs (who made two for the C9), which works pretty well:
    sauber c9
    [​IMG]

Guess I'll do a bit of research and see if there are any other cockpit variants for the C9 available. If there's something I can do to spice up the rather basic AMS2 design I might give it a go. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Guido Trampe

Guido Trampe New Member

Hi @XTRMNTR2K . Really appreciate the work you have put in these great dashboards. Dont know if this is an appropiate reqeust. I am running some Stockcar 2022 series on the thursday’s for RaceDepartment. I vae set ingame wheel to of for better immersion. Unfortunatly this also takes away all gauges in the stockcar. Would you be willing to look info the stockcar dash? Preferably a solution that supports the Push to pass function would be great. Let me know of there is anything I can help you with.

• Like Like x 1
  11. XTRMNTR2K

Thanks a lot for your post! :)

If I understand you correctly, you need a button for the P2P function in the design, right?

It's been a while since I've raced the Stock Cars, but when I did I used one of Michael Labajos' designs, one of which has some buttons that may or may not work... Will have to check later if they do. This is is the one with buttons:
    AMS2 Stock Car 2020
    [​IMG]

This one is also great, and I think it's the one I have been using:
    AMS2_Stock Car Brazil
    [​IMG]

And this one made by Rafael Cardoso looks good as well, though there's not much space left to put working buttons:
    Stock Car Brasil
    [​IMG]

In any case, I will have a look at it later, and see if I can tweak one of these designs.

By the way, where is the push-to-pass button located on the real stock car steering wheel? Left or right? My memory is a bit fuzzy at the moment.

EDIT:
    Okay, so I realized you probably meant that you'd need some sort of P2P indicator, and not just a button to activate it. The bad news is that I don't think the game sends any information about P2P specifically - that is, the remaining number of activations or when it is actually available.

AMS2 treats push-to-pass as KERS/ERS, though. Which means you can use one of the two available charge state widgets in SIM Dashboard. While it doesn't show you when the first activation is ready (after completing lap 1 in a race, I think), you'll know whenever it is ready after that point, because the bar empties as the boost is used and fills as it is being "recharged" - which is linked to the amount of time that has passed. (Something like 70 seconds, I think?)

I also had a look at the first design I posted, and those buttons are indeed part of the button box feature the app has. So you can bind any of them to a keyboard shortcut you want - just make sure it's the same button that is set to activate boost in AMS2. :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  12. XTRMNTR2K

Yesterday was one of those days were I said to myself I would only have a look at this one thing for a few minutes... Only to end up spending several hours creating new content and improving existing stuff. o_O

The good news is that this also marks the completion of not one, but two classes! Both Group C and the GT Classics are now covered by my SIM Dashboard designs. :D
    (That is, of course, only until we hopefully get more entries to either class.)

First off is the improved Porsche 962C - as I said before, I wasn't quite satisfied with the look so I tweaked the graphics a bit.

Porsche 962C for AMS2
    [​IMG]

Next one is the other Group C cars in AMS2, the mighty Sauber Mercedes C9!

Sauber Mercedes C9 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

I know there are other designs out there, but I still wanted to see what I could do. This is mostly the same as in-game, but I condensed the layout because the Oil Temperature display was too far off to the right.

Last but most certainly not least I present to you the Chevrolet Corvette C3-R of the GT Classics class:

Chevrolet Corvette C3-R for AMS2
    [​IMG]

Gotta admit, I really like how this design looks, especially with the lights turned on. And stylistically it's close to its opponent, the 911 RSR '74. Oh, and the layout is the same as in the sim with the exception of the battery charge gauge, which I omitted to save space. Other than that, it's exactly what it looks like.

I hope you enjoy these! :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. XTRMNTR2K

@Guido Trampe This one is for you! It took me a little longer than I had hoped to tackle this, but I like to think I succeeded:

Stock Car Brasil for AMS2
    [​IMG]

Features include - obviously - all information that is present on the Stock Car dash, but I also found a way to add P2P / ERS information without breaking the immersion.

The red bar indicates how long P2P lasts when engaged, how long it takes to recharge and also if it is available at all; when it is turned off by race control (I've had this happen in a thunderstorm yesterday where the track was completely soaked!), the red bar vanishes as if empty.

What is still missing is the number of activations left - I don't think there is any shared memory data available for that yet. There is also no information about P2P being unavailable during the first lap (it'll still display the filled bar). Once it has been used once everything should work fine, though.

The rest is pretty much self-explanatory. Oh, and you can map the 4 buttons, if you want. :)
    Let me know if you find it useful or if you have ideas for improvement!

• Like Like x 4
  14. XTRMNTR2K

Today is Monday - a new day, a new week - and a new SIM Dashboard design! In fact, this is a two-in-one deal:

Copa Montana & Copa Truck for AMS2
    [​IMG]

While I had originally intended to create a dash for the Copa Trucks, I noticed that the dashboard for the Copa Montana is essentially the same. There are a few very minor differences, so I tried to strike a balance between the two:
    • The Copa Truck has a gray LCD background, while the Montana's LCD color is of a darker gold-yellow color
    • The RPM bar in the Copa Montana displays numbers below the line, the Copa Truck display does not
    • The Copa Truck LED bar has three colors (green-yellow-red) in a 2-2-1 configuration per bar; in the Copa Montana, the LED bars use a green-red 4-1 configuration.
    As a compromise, I used three-colored LEDs and numbered RPM bar. The LCD background color is also meant to be somewhere between the two.

Functionality is straightforward; additionally there is also a brake balance popup, but since it doesn't have the exact same style of the LCD you can easily remove it if you don't like it. I just thought this was a useful feature to have in those vehicles.

As a side note, there is something odd about the engine warning lamp in the Copa Trucks. For some reason, it lights up rather quickly - sometimes within half a lap of starting a session! Oddly enough, this is probably not due to oil temperature or engine damage, as temperatures were a little above ~100°C when this happened and no engine damage had occurred. Maybe water temps and oil/water pressures are unusually high in these trucks, so that's why the warning is going off? Either way, I just thought I'd point this out in case anyone wondered what it was about.

Finally, I also added a pit limiter light (bottom right, blue) for good measure. Depending on your device and screen setup the lowermost LEDs could get cut off - but they aren't essential to the dash IMHO, so you could consider this a feature rather than a bug. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. XTRMNTR2K

After short break I'm back with more dashboards! The following two have been on my to-do list for a while; and since both essentially use the same base design, it seemed a good idea to work on both in one go.

Super V8 (Australian V8 Supercars) for AMS2
    [​IMG]

With the Super V8 cars shaping up to get into a really fun and enjoyable state, I thought it was high time I worked on their dashboard!

It's not too fancy, but it's close to the in-game LCD and the screen surface in particular looks really cool and realistic! Took a bit of time, but recreating this took less effort than I had originally thought.

Chevrolet Camaro GT4.R for AMS2
    [​IMG]

The GT4 Camaro uses a very similar design for its display, so it was only natural to use what I had learned when doing the Super V8 and apply it here as well.

Aside from the obvious features, both of these also have an info popup for things like brake bias, ABS and TC, temporarily covering the data located left of the gear display (Fuel for the V8, Speed for the Camaro).

Let me know if you like these!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Guido Trampe

Guido Trampe New Member

Thanks for your lengty explanation!

17. Guido Trampe

Guido Trampe New Member

Thank you! Will put it in use asap!

18. XTRMNTR2K

Happy to hear it! :D

And as I said before, if you have any ideas on how to improve it further, don't hesitate to let me know. For the time being it works really well, although I gotta admit I find the red numbers a little hard to read in front of the medium gray inactive numbers (but that could be due to my eyesight, so it may seem perfectly fine to you!).

19. XTRMNTR2K

It's been a while since the last update as I have been busy irl but I'm finally back in action again! :D

After some much-needed hardware changes and upgrades (32 instead of 16 GB of RAM as well as upgrading from a GTX 1060 to an RTX 3060 Ti), I spent some time with ACC, rF2 and of course AMS2 - finally enjoying buttery smooth 60 FPS @4K resolution! :eek:

While I was doing a few practice laps with the Formula Reiza I noticed that the cockpit must've had an update, because the triple flag LEDs on each side of the display also serve as DRS availability and activation indicators - neat! Unfortunately, KERS charge state is still missing from the cockpit.

As far as I know, there isn't a SIM Dashboard design with this particular layout and functionality out there yet (although there is at least one that works well enough) so I decided to make my own dash. This is the result:

Formula Reiza for AMS2
    [​IMG]

The reason I placed everything at the top of the screen is that I assume a lot of people (myself included) have their tablets/phones placed behind the wheelbase rather than clipped to the wheel. And at least for my "rig" (which is really just a desk and office/gaming chair with locking brakes for its wheels) this means there are parts of the tablet screen I can't easily see without having to look around the wheel.

As for the features, the RPM LED bar is pretty much the same as in the sim, with an added Pit Limiter function. Out of the side LEDs only the outermost ones are actually used for flags, the other two are used by the DRS exclusively.

While it's not a hundred percent true to the in-game dash, the addition of a KERS bar is quite useful, IMHO.

As far as functionality and design go this is one of the simpler dashboards, but it works really well for this particular car. :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. XTRMNTR2K

Sometimes there are considerable differences between the depiction of a car's dashboard or LCD screen in AMS2 and how it actually looks in reality. For most intents and purposes, the AMS2 version is just fine - heck, sometimes it even offers more information than the real thing!

But if you *really* want things to be super authentic in your sim rig, you may appreciate virtual dashboards designed after the real thing rather than the sim.

About a month ago I posted my triple-page AMS GT3 design based on the game. And truth be told, in terms of looks and functionality this is still one of my favorite displays, both in the app as well as AMS2.

That being said, I recently did a bit of research and was astonished how much difference there was between this design and the display used in the real car! Also, from what I can tell, both GT3 and GT4 versions of this car use the very same configuration... Which could be useful if we ever got the AMG GT4 in AMS2. :whistle:

Without further ado, I present to you the
    Mercedes-AMG GT3/GT4
    [​IMG]

As you may expect, features and looks are as close to the real thing as I could manage. If you happen to realize that I missed something or could improve certain aspects, please let me know. :)

• Like Like x 1