1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The SIM Dashboard Community Designs Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XTRMNTR2K, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Bongrandrea79

Bongrandrea79 New Member

Hello everybody. I have a problem with the current lap time. Whatever picture I put on, the time is wrong. Instead of being 1 'every 60 ", it's 1' every 6".

Can anyone tell me why?
    Thank you
    upload_2022-8-9_21-30-0.png

2. Bongrandrea79

Bongrandrea79 New Member

This is the problem

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Bongrandrea79

Bongrandrea79 New Member

sixty seconds is not a minute, but ten minutes. A minute is six seconds.....why???

4. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

Does this happen in all sims or just AMS2? And is only current lap time affected? Either way, this is unusual... Never seen it happen before.

5. Bongrandrea79

Bongrandrea79 New Member

only tried Gran Turismo 7. The problem is only during the lap. When I reach the finish line the time is right, it is during the lap that it is not correct

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Bongrandrea79

Bongrandrea79 New Member

F1 2021 is OK

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. XTRMNTR2K

To me this sounds as if it is an issue with GT7. Keep in mind that GT7 compatibility is a very recent addition to SIM Dashboard, so there is a chance this is a bug that crept in and hadn't been noticed. Or maybe there is something particular about the shared memory data coming from GT7, at least when it comes to lap time.

Either way, I suggest you contact the SIM Dashboard creator and let him know about the steps to reproduce the issue. This is the mail address:
    info(at)stryder-it.de

~~~~~~~~~~

Continuing the task of providing all AMS2 classes with SIM Dashboard designs, we have two more entries to add to the list today.

First up is the Formula V10 Generation 2:

Formula V10 Gen 2 for AMS2

[​IMG]

It's reasonably simple: There is information for RPM, Speed and the current gear. That's it.
    (I know there was at least one very similar design out there - based on the 2003 Williams-BMW I think - but as you know I am always looking for an excuse to create my own versions of a given car. :D)

The next one isn't so much a specific car but a representation of an entire class consisting of multiple different vehicles:

Copa Classic (generic) for AMS2
    [​IMG]

Both Copa Classic FL and B classes consist of very different cars, but most or all of them share certain instruments which I tried to include here.

As for the inclusion of digital Speed and Gear displays, I figured those two could easily be retrofitted to these cars (unless prohibited by regulations), but you can easily remove them if you're a purist. :)

I may or may not revisit this class in the future to cover specific cars, and I will also have another look at the Hot Cars to see if their dashboards are similar or need their own designs. From what I remember, their instruments are even more minimalist...

• Like Like x 3
  8. XTRMNTR2K

It was only a matter of time. I knew it would happen eventually, but I didn't know when. But that it would was... inevitable.

Today, my friends, we bear witness to the

Attack of the Caterhams!
    *cue dramatic music*

Yesterday was just one of those days where I wanted to sit down, play a bit of AMS2 and maybe, just maybe, spend a few minutes having a look at another dashboard design.

Only I made the mistake of starting with the dashboard... And before I knew it, hours had passed and I had finished not one, not two, but three new designs! Oh my. I need help.

In any case, I think the four Caterham 7 variants that are currently in AMS2 were way overdue to receive their corresponding dashboards, and I'm quite pleased with the results:

Caterham Academy (270R) for AMS2
    [​IMG]
    (Headlights are turned on, so the dials were illuminated.)

Caterham Supersport / Superlight (360R) for AMS2
    [​IMG]

Caterham 620R for AMS2
    [​IMG]

The main challenge for the first two was condensing the layout so all dials fit into the limited screen space, while also retaining the unique character of the cars. The 620R, on the other hand, had plenty of space to spare - so much so, in fact, that I decided to throw in a fuel gauge as well (which the AMS2 car actually seems to be missing?!).

The dials are as close to the in-game cars as I could manage, as well as being illuminated when you turn on the headlights. (As seen in the first preview image of the 270R Academy.)

Now all that remains is for the Caterhams to receive a few more tweaks in the sim - hopefully in 1.4? - because I think they're still very odd to drive and not at all like I would expect. Probably a tire issue, mostly. But I guess it is natural that they would be hard to get right, being such a unique (old!) and lightweight design; the more extreme a vehicle's properties, the harder it must be to dial them in properly in the Madness Engine (looking at you, Formula Trucks!)... But knowing our heroes at Reiza and in the Beta Forums, I just know we'll get nothing less than perfection eventually. :D

• Like Like x 2
  9. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@XTRMNTR2K I just wanted to say a big thankyou for all these designs, you must have got a really good workflow going by now. I was browsing some of your designs in the Sim Dashboard app last night and the stuff you have done for AMS2 is fantastic. I have downloaded a few of them for my favourite cars, and they are way beyond my clumsy skills, so they make a genuine difference to the enjoyment of the game. Cheers mate :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. XTRMNTR2K

Thank you so much for your kind words! I greatly appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment, and I'm happy that you get some use out of my designs. :)

The biggest difference between now and when I started out is probably in the way I approach a given design. These days I usually have a good idea how to achieve certain things in a way that works, looks good and isn't more complicated (or computationally expensive when thinking about older android devices such as my own Galaxy Tab 2 10.1) than necessary.

That being said, creating graphics in Photoshop is still time-consuming, at times more so than it needs to be. But it helps having a growing set of resources I can use or modify - after all, no one wants to re-invent the wheel over and over again. :D

If there is any car or series in particular that you would like to see covered in the near future, please let me know. The ultimate goal is to cover all classes in the sim, but right now I am mostly "going with the flow". Truth be told I am getting so used to having these designs, I cringe whenever I drive a car that doesn't have a proper SIM Dashboard design yet (either by my own making or created by someone else).

• Like Like x 3
  11. XTRMNTR2K

Our beloved Formula 3 cars were in dire need of some TLC, so this is what I came up with:

Formula 3 Dallara F301 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

Formula 3 Dallara F309 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

Sim and app dashes are pretty much identical. The F309 even has back-lighting when you turn on the headlights! :)

The F309 RPM bar looks slightly different though; I don't think there is a way to use a custom fixed scale for this particular widget (yet), so I decided not to add those little lines (one per 1,000 RPM) by hand - because it would look really weird with any car that has a different RPM range.

They were really fun to make, though! I hope you'll enjoy them!

• Like Like x 3
  12. XTRMNTR2K

While most of my recent designs were made from scratch, it's often important to recognize you don't have to reinvent the wheel if somebody else already did it.

Michael Labajos had already created a very solid dash for the MINI Cooper JCW, so all I could do was tweak a few things, give it a little more polish - and add two more pages! Yes, I was actually quite surprised that the MINI JCW in AMS2 has three different LCD pages, similar to the GT3 cars. So since most of the work had already been done before (and I could even reuse my screen rim graphics from the BMW M6 GT3) I decided to provide this fun little car with a three-page SIM Dashboard design as well.

MINI Cooper JCW for AMS2 Page 1/3
    [​IMG]

MINI Cooper JCW for AMS2 Page 2/3
    [​IMG]

MINI Cooper JCW for AMS2 Page 3/3
    [​IMG]

Among the few tweaks I made were improvements to the behavior of the RPM LEDs, as well as a working headlight indicator. Although, if I remember correctly, the car doesn't actually have working headlights...?

Anyway, it works and looks quite good, so I'm satisfied with it. :)

• Like Like x 4
  13. Piston Broke

Piston Broke New Member

[​IMG]
    This is my generic go to dash for AMS2, but for some reason the tyre temps don't seem to be reporting, any idea why? in the app they are set to 85c - 100c-115c, my UDP ingame setting is @ 1, everything else is working fine, am I missing something?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  14. XTRMNTR2K

Every other widget works just fine, I assume? That's odd, then. Do you happen to use any other app or device that makes use of AMS2 shared data at the same time? Other sims and games can sometimes only supply one app at the same time with the data for some reason, and if you want to use more require functionality to pass the data through to other apps.

That being said, this *should* not be the case with AMS2 as I've never run into this issue before, that was merely the first thing that came to mind. Otherwise I can't imagine many things that could cause only the tire widget to fail - aside from somehow corrupted or invalid tire temp data.

Does this happen in all cars? Or just in specific ones?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Piston Broke

Piston Broke New Member

I was trying to set up a GINETTA G55 GT4 @ Brands, i had the temps in the app set far too high, it's all good now....i think.

• Like Like x 1
  16. XTRMNTR2K

Been busy fixing and setting up a computer today (not mine, though), so I'm a little late posting this:

Formula V10 Gen 1 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

McLaren MP4/12 for AMS2 (Formula V10 Gen 1)

[​IMG]

With these two being finished, I can also tick the check marks for the Formula V10 Generation 1 on my to-do list. Speaking of which, if you really want to be up-to-date regarding my dashboards, be sure to check the list in the first post of this thread. More often than not I'll add new entries as soon as they are finished and uploaded, even before posting them here (which usually happens the next day when they have been reviewed and approved).

As far as the top tier open-wheelers go, most of the generations are now covered by my dashboards. The next ones I'll need to have a look at are the F-Retro cars - I think some of those require a bit more work than the quick 'n dirty digital dashes like the ones above.

As always, I hope you'll enjoy these and let me know if you have any wishes or suggestions!

• Like Like x 4
  17. XTRMNTR2K

Imagine sitting down for a moment, planning to have a quick look at the dashboards of one class of cars in AMS2 and maybe finishing a car or two out of those, nothing too big... only to come to your senses 8 hours later, realizing your finished not one, not two, but THREE entire classes of cars in a single day.

Looks like I'm way beyond help, haha. :D

The good news is that I managed to create dashboards for all Formula Retros. Yes, F-Retro Gen 1-3 have been finished! Granted, there is a lot of similarity between most of those cars so I could reuse many visual elements, but getting all of them right was still a lot of work. But the results speak for themselves, I think!

I'm gonna split this into multiple posts, one for each F-Retro generation.

Formula Retro Generation 1:

Brabham BT44 (Formula Retro Gen 1) for AMS2
    [​IMG]

McLaren M23 / Lotus Type 72E / Formula Retro Gen 1 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

The Brabham is very similar to the Generic Formula Vintage cars, so I could reuse a lot of the elements and widgets.

Interestingly, the generic Formula Retro Gen 1 car as well as the Lotus Type 72E and McLaren M23 cars all share the exact same layout and gauges. There are only minor difference in cockpit detail, such as nuts, bolts and switches; this dashboard is modeled after the generic F-Retro and Lotus, but it's still extremely close to the McLaren so I figured this could be used for all three of them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. XTRMNTR2K

Formula Retro Generation 2:

Brabham BT46B (Formula Retro Gen 2) for AMS2
    [​IMG]

Formula Retro Gen 2 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

Lotus 79 (Formula Retro Gen 2) for AMS2
    [​IMG]

The Brabham and Lotus are very similar to the previous generation with mostly minor differences. For the "Fan Car" BT46B, the RPM dial has been replaced with a different model of unknown make, whereas the Fuel and Water gauge were now made by Racetech rather than Smiths.

The Lotus 79 is even more similar to its predecessor, merely rotating the RPM dial by 90 degrees to the left.

The generic F-Retro Gen 2 model, however, is quite different. The RPM dial isn't seen in any other car, and it is also the oldest Formula car in the sim to have a digital speedometer! To round it off, it also has a shift light, just like the Lotus 79 does.

• Like Like x 2
  19. XTRMNTR2K

Formula Retro Generation 3:

Formula Retro Gen 3 DFY for AMS2
    [​IMG]

Formula Retro Gen 3 Turbo for AMS2
    [​IMG]

McLaren MP4/1C (Formula Retro Gen3) for AMS2
    [​IMG]

Finally, we have the third generation of F-Retro cars. The generic F-Retro Gen 3 comes in two flavors: A Cosworth DFY V8-powered naturally aspirated version, and a V6-Turbo powered model with obscene amounts of torque and power.

While the cockpits in AMS2 don't differ in the slightest between these two cars, I took some artistic license and created a slightly modified version for the Turbo model, featuring a boost pressure gauge (displayed in bar). I am not sure if the data is correct, but according to the display the turbo easily provides more than 3 bars of pressure - wow!

Last but not least we have the beautiful McLaren MP4/1C, which is also one of the few F-Retros that has a very different and unique cockpit design. The instruments are rather simplistic, though - aside from the RPM dial, there are only water and oil temperatures - and a shift light. A fuel gauge can not be found (unless it is located somewhere else in the cockpit and I just missed it because I didn't look around enough :oops:).

Anywhere, there you have it! The entire Formula Retro Generation 1-3 lineup.

Only thing missing now (in terms of not-F1 cars) is the Formula V12, and I know there are at least two excellent dashboards out there... But I'll see what I can come up with regardless.

Eh, looks like stryder-it.de is down right now. So in case the pictures and links won't load right now, please check again later. It's probably just a server hiccup. Sorry about that.

EDIT: And it's working again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. XTRMNTR2K

I think it's fitting that, with the release of Automobilista 2 version 1.4, I am able to complete one of my own projects as well. No, I'm not talking about SIM Dashboard designs in general - I will of course keep making those! :D - but today marks the completion of all F1 dashboards for AMS2.

With that being said, I might work on the occasional recreation of real dashboards from specific F1 cars from time to time, at least if I come across any useful footage or reference photos. If you happen to have footage and/or references for any that you would like to see represented in SIM Dashboard, feel free to send them to me. :)

For now enjoy the F-V12, though:

Formula V12 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

Getting the curved RPM bar right is pretty hard, so as a starting point I had a look at the number values that existing SIM dashboard designs of this car had used before.

Replicating the bar exactly as it is in-game is sadly not possible at this time, as the one in AMS2 starts at 10,000 RPM. Moreover, I opted not to manually place any markers above and below the RPM bar, as the widget has a dynamic range and can be used with other cars as well. The Formula V12 revs up to 17,000 RPM, but that range can be very different for other cars, potentially messing with the markings. For what it's worth, I think this is as close to the in-game car that I can get without making it too specific and messing with its usefulness for other cars.

I hope you like and enjoy using it! I know for sure I will do a couple of laps in the F-V12 today...! :D