1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The SIM Dashboard Community Designs Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XTRMNTR2K, Apr 9, 2022.

1. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 2
  2. XTRMNTR2K

Yesterday I had some time to spare, so I decided to take a look at the Vintage Touring Cars Tier I, starting with the BMW 2002 Turbo. This is the last remaining BMW in the sim I have yet to create a dash for, I think?

BMW 2002 Turbo for AMS2
    [​IMG]

Anyhow, while the instruments on the dash are somewhat straightforward there is the issue of the extra dials located to the right. One of them is just an analog clock so it can safely be ignored for now (as SIM Dashboard does not yet support analog clocks in racing sims AFAIK), but even further to the right we have a boost pressure gauge.

This being a turbo car, and an early one at that, I figured it was kinda important to include... Which led to the question of how? The dashboard only has enough space to hold the 3 / 4 main instruments: Speedometer, RPM Dial, Fuel Gauge and (I think?) Water Temperature Gauge.

To solve this issue I decided to make use of the extra vertical space on the 16:10 layout I am working with; by adding another extra instrument on top of the boost pressure gauge I could make use more efficient use of the available space and balance the design out quite nicely. For this, I decided to go with an Oil Temperature Gauge.

I tried to make the instruments as authentic as possible. For oil temperature I just had to make something up that I think fits the overall style and aesthetic very well. Although I may need to adjust the temperature range, as oil temperature can easily climb to 130 degrees Celsius and beyond if pushed hard (although by that point I was getting an oil leak and increasing oil temps in my test run - AMDM for the win!).

There's also the issue of everything being too close to the bottom of the screen; it's not as bad as it looks from the preview (especially not on my tablet), but I am thinking of moving everything further up and releasing an update for the design.

Anyway, I hope you still like this dash! Next to come will most likely be the other Vintage TC Tier 1 car, the Corvette C3.

• Like Like x 2
  3. XTRMNTR2K

With Spa 1970 already available in the public RC version, it's only fitting we had a look at a 1970's car today: The Chevrolet Corvette C3! This is the road-going version found in Vintage TC Tier 1, of course, as I already made a dashboard for the C3R version before.

Chevrolet Corvette C3 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

I'm not gonna lie: While I am fairly satisfied with the look of the dials themselves, something still irks me about the rest of the thing. It's not just how weird the cutout for the recessed main dials looks, but the screen usage as well. Aside from trying to improve this one further, I might actually upload a simpler, more easily readable alternate version one of these days. Not sure yet.

In any case, this is also means that another class is complete - the Vintage Touring Cars Tier 1. As for what's next, no idea. Maybe I'll have a look at some cars I haven't driven in a looong time (such as the Lancers), or even one I don't remember driving at all (I'm looking at you, Uno!).

• Like Like x 2
  4. XTRMNTR2K

I hope you're not tired of vintage cars yet, are you? Because I know I'm not! :D

First up is a car that doesn't get enough love - and I'll be the first to admit I was guilty of this myself until recently. The Lotus 23 may not be the most beautiful car in existence (although beauty is in the eye of the beholder!), but it's surprisingly pleasant to drive. When I took it for a spin around Spa '70 I was honestly surprised to find such a stable and well-behaved car. It's a little understeery, sure, but other than that? Wow.

Lotus 23 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

This dashboard is true to the in-game car, except I had to move the outer dials to the bottom to make use of the limited space. And I'm also not sure if the background should be a little more bright and colorful... It did look okay on my tablet, though, but now I think the color is a little too subtle. What do you guys think?

Next up is the alternate version of the Corvette C3 that I hinted at earlier. As a sidenote, shortly after uploading the dash I noticed a few graphical errors, which I fixed right away. I will upload the updated version later and it should be available by tomorrow.

EDIT: Updated preview image to the latest version.

Chevrolet Corvette C3 (alternate version)
    [​IMG]

The alternate version is much easier to read, and more pleasant on the eyes if you ask me. Out of the two, this is the one I personally prefer for now. But as always, I am open for feedback and suggestions! :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  5. XTRMNTR2K

Today's dashboard covers a car that can only be described as legendary. It's small, it's nimble, and it's mean! Of course I am talking about The Meanie, pardon me, Mini Cooper S (the 1965 version, to be precise)!

Mini Cooper S 1965 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

Another case of a spatially condensed dashboard, I'm afraid; while I originally intended to use a screenshot of the AMS2 cockpit as background, it soon became clear the individual dials would have to be far too small. So I did what had to be done and bunched all of them together more closely, while still attempting to capture the look and feel of the original car.

A special note regarding the speedometer: Most of the time I simply use the in-app widget to display the numbers, but for the Mini I decided to create them as separate image in Photoshop to capture (almost) the exact look of the real display.

(In case you are wondering about the color of the dials, it looks strange because the illumination was switched on along with the headlights!)

This not only concludes the Vintage Touring Cars Tier 2 class, but also doubles as the first individual entry to the Copa Classics B class - in addition to the generic dashboard I uploaded a while ago.

As usual, I'll be on the lookout for my next dash projects - perhaps some of the prototypes that are still missing as of yet? P2 and P3 are still incomplete, if I remember correctly.

Jeez... So many great cars in AMS2, and so little time to enjoy them all (much less provide original dashboards for all of them!). First world problems, right? :D

P.S.: I also updated my previous post with the latest preview for the Corvette C3.

• Like Like x 3
  6. XTRMNTR2K

I've got lots of prototypes for you today - hooray!

First off we got the brand new shiny Chevrolet Corvette GTP that was just added to the Group C class in AMS2 (or will be added, if you're waiting for the stable release). I was actually so eager to get started I began working on the background graphics before the RC was released, based on a screenshot from the beta forum... :whistle: So I had a bit of a head start when the RC update was finally released.

Chevrolet Corvette GTP for AMS2
    [​IMG]

A few things to note here: The preview does not cover the bottom part of the layout, which also has labels for the lower part of the dials (oil/water). While the shape, size and overall layout was based on the car in AMS2, the way the dials are arranged is based on photos of the real car (or one of them at least). This means that oil pressure and temps are located on the left, and instead of water pressure there's a fuel gauge (which the AMS2 car seems to be missing, oddly enough).

Other than that it is very close to the car in the sim, including illuminated dials. Oh, and the RPM gauge isn't non-linear even though it's supposed to be, but functionally it is exactly the same as it is in AMS2 (ranging from 3000 to 9000 RPM).

After finishing the Group C class (again!) I wanted to tackle the remaining prototypes - P2 and P3!

MetalMoro MRX Duratec Turbo P2 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

When I had a closer look at the wheel-mounted display of the MetalMoro MRX Duratec Turbo P2 (what a name!), I was quite surprised - because it is essentially the same display the Superkart uses! So I didn't have to change too much about the features, though I did add a brake bias popup as well as a fuel display (and background illumination when you switch on the headlights).

Roco 001 P3 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

The Roco has such a cool and unique display! There's really no other dash like it. For one thing, it has a G-Meter, which I haven't seen in any other race car before. Then again, this is probably more of a track day weapon, I guess? Either way, I love it!

Most things you see are functional. The oil pressure bar goes from 0 to 8 bar (which should be more than enough, I reckon?), and I even managed to sneak in fuel and brake bias information as well. As for the bar located in the center bottom, I don't actually know what the "TPS" refers to, as it does not seem to be functional in AMS2. If anyone has an idea what it does, please let me know and I'll try to add this functionality to the dashboard if possible.

So, that completes Group C - again - as well as the P2 and P3 classes.

What's that - there are two cars missing? Are you sure? Maybe not! :D

If you noticed, you are right of course; I did not upload a dashboard for the MetalMoro P3 cars (Duratec and Honda). Because their displays are exactly the same as another class that I already finished before, and you can find it in this post:

Formula Trainer Advanced

Unfortunately at that time I didn't know these cars shared the same dashboard, so it's not in the name or description... Might make it hard to find using the search function in the community database. :confused:

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy these new dashboards! After spending most of yesterday working on them I hope to get in some actual racing time with AMS2 today...! :D

• Like Like x 4
  7. XTRMNTR2K

Another day, another AMS2 class finished! This time I finally had a closer look at the Mitsubishi Lancer R & RS cars, and was pleasantly surprised that each of them even had their own variation of the same LCD display.

Mitsubishi Lancer R for AMS2
    [​IMG]

Mitsubishi Lancer RS for AMS2
    [​IMG]

Layout and LCD config are a little different between these two, but otherwise they are similar. Please note that the Lancer RS has a separate, external gear indicator and thus does not display the gear on the LCD. While I personally use a Symprojects GI Max display for that exact purpose I realize not everyone has something similar, but I hope the majority of you still find this dashboard useful.

Now that the Lancers are finished as well I'll have to look hard for cars that don't have a representation in SIM Dashboard yet. The Copa Uno come to mind for sure, and I even have to admit I'm not sure I actually drove this car before. It might very well be the only car I never tried in AMS2, although there are others that I did not create a dash for yet (ARC Camaro as well as the VW Polo and Virtus at least). But considering how far I've come, I'm sure I'll be able to cover those as well!

• Like Like x 4
  8. Cherry2Blost

Cherry2Blost New Member

I came across this thread by accident, I too have been using Sim Dashboard for quite some time. I originally started playing with it for DCS but got into ACC quite quickly. I use Amazon Fire HD8 Tablets, which have been on discount for around £30 for the last few months. Little hacking to get Google Play store on them and you can happily run Sim Dashboard on them. Here's what mine looks like at the moment.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you are aware these are not just displays but fully working button boxes, the left screen for ACC I currently have running either track map or live times. have had MOTEC running on it but its a bit dull.
    Anyway great thread and great software!

I am blown away at the quality of your dashboards, now it would be super lovely to see your ideas on ACC too ;)

Keep up the excellent work !

Cherry
    x

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. XTRMNTR2K

Wow, that is a sweet setup you've got there! And 30 quid for one of these Amazon Fire HD8 sounds like a real steal to me - the cheapest I can currently find them is around 115 EUR or £100. That being said, I am mostly satisfied with my aging Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, although working with it is painfully slow at most times, haha. :D

And believe it or not, I wasn't actually aware of DCS support yet! Aside from racing simulations I knew that ATS/ETS2, farming simulator and MS Flight Simulator were usable, but DCS support is even more impressive. Gotta admit, I used to be crazy about flight simulators when I was younger (back in the 90s and early 2000s), but aside from them getting more complex I also found that I just don't have the time and mental focus anymore to really get into these. Back when I was a kind I would practically devour the printed manuals in no time!

Plus I can only have one set of pedals under my desk at the same time - either my G25 pedals or the G920 rudder pedals (yes, I am still using one of those infamous Logitech HOTAS, though I also bought a VKB Gladiator Mk.II a few years ago, which is more suited to Rise of Flight or IL-2). And since I usually spend more time racing than with any flight (or space) simulation these days... In fact, I bought a few sims I barely spent any time with in all those years (the original Blackshark and A-10C, all pre-DCS). The last ones I spent a significant amount of time with were Rise of Flight and IL-2 BoS (and a little bit of X-Plane), though. It's kind of sad, really. And I really wish some more accessible lo-fi simulations similar to the Jane's series (i.e. ATF, Navy Fighters, Fighters Anthology, Longbow 1/2) or Enemy Engaged (Apache vs. Havoc / Comanche vs. Hokum) would make a comeback these days - something much closer to Falcon 4.0 than, say, Ace Combat or Project Wingman, but slightly more accessible...

Anyway, I digress! :oops:

Yes, and I really like what you've done with the button box feature! It's definitely the next best thing to having a physical device with buttons and switches, and you can always see what's what even in a dimly-lit room! :D

Thank you!

I'd be lying if I said the thought of working on dashboards for ACC didn't occur to me. It is tempting - many of them are more functional (and from what I can tell, closer to the real thing) than comparable AMS2 displays. That being said, I mostly started work on this project for my own personal use, and right now I find it almost impossible to return to ACC. While I own most of the content for the sim, the last time I gave it a shot (earlier this month) after a looong absence I quickly realized I couldn't go back. It is a splendid simulator - and still does many things a lot better than AMS2, though I hope it'll close the gap sooner rather than later - but when it comes to the driving experience and FFB, AMS2 has surpassed ACC and other racing sims by a long shot, at least for me personally. (This is especially frustrating for me because one of the reasons I bit the bullet and got an RTX 3060 Ti was so I could play ACC in buttery-smooth 60 fps at 4k... or at least get a decently sharp and clean image, which was a challenge on my previous GTX 1060 @1080p setup.)

Truth be told, I'm not even sure when I'm going to resume work on the remaining AMS2 dashboards, as I have become increasingly frustrated with the things the sim still doesn't do well (but ACC does, like an AI that can offer hard but clean racing for me). But who knows? Maybe I'll get bored and have a look at some ACC dashboards... If I do, I'll probably start with an existing dash that I could use as a base and modify according to the differences between the two sims, i.e. the 911s. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. XTRMNTR2K

After taking somewhat of a break from AMS2 and sim racing in general, I finally decided to try the latest mod cars and tracks. Waiting for that final game update of the year might be slightly frustrating, but I figured I could use the extra time before the next big patch to take a look at the current state of AMS2 modding.

And I have to say that at least all cars that I have tried are feeling much better in terms of physics than they did when they were first released. Some are even close to Reiza standards in terms of how believable and detailed they feel, if I may say so. As for the FFB... That's a bit of a mixed bag. Some cars are okay-ish but lacking definition and detail, while the best of them feel similar to the better AMS2 cars.

Truth be told, the one thing that AMS2 modding misses the most right now is the possibility for modders to include custom sounds. After all, there is only so much you can do with the engines available in the game if you want to replicate the V12 of a 250 GTO...

In any case, there was one car in particular that a lot of people have been talking about - more specifically, how great it is and how much they would like to see it added to AMS2 as official content. The car I am talking about is the latest update to a now iconic staple of racing: The Porsche 911 GT3 Cup 992.

The mod car is absolutely fantastic, as the physics and FFB are as close to Reiza standards as any modded car I've driven has come. In terms of performance it actually feels closer to a GT3 than a Cup car, it is THAT fast! What else can I say other than "I love it!"? :D

To make a long story short, I present to you my very first dashboard design for an AMS2 mod car!

Porsche 911 GT3 Cup 992 Page 1/3
    [​IMG]

Porsche 911 GT3 Cup 992 Page 2/3
    [​IMG]

Porsche 911 GT3 Cup 992 Page 3/3
    [​IMG]

When I sat in the virtual cockpit of this car of the first time, I was quite surprised about the quality of the LCD display and the wealth of information it provided on no less than three pages! I tried to remain as faithful as possible to the in-game car, although I did take some creative liberty in a few instances: First, Brake Bias is now displayed on all pages (it is missing on Page 2 of the mod car, I think), and I also decided to show tire and brake temps as quadrants rather than a list. This is much easier to read and makes a lot more sense considering the available space as well. Lastly, my design also has a subtle pit limiter text indicator that appears to the left of the RPM number.

So yeah, I hope you like it! It was fun working on a SIM Dashboard design again. I can't promise working on any other mod cars yet, as this greatly depends on my personal motivation. But when it comes to AMS2 I still plan to finish the project so that all official content is adequately covered... (And when I say "finish" I mean temporarily having dashboards for all AMS2 classes at that particular moment - because, as we all know, the content in AMS2 is only going to grow going forward...!)

• Like Like x 3
  11. newtonpg

newtonpg Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thank you!
    Happy to see you again, I really missed your posts here.
    While I'm focused on SimHub, I've also have licensed other apps like Z1, SimDash and SIM Dashboard. The later only recently thanks to your influence.

And no, I'm not interested (for my use) on a per car dash but on a few generic one's. But I really like your work, thanks again!

Question: Z1 auto-select a dash on a per car basis (title based). Can this be done with SIM Dashboard? I know I can install a plugin to SimHub to get that but only using an additional screen (phone or tablet) that's not my case.

• Like Like x 1
  12. XTRMNTR2K

Thank you, my friend! To be completely honest I had become a little burned out on AMS2, in no small part due to my frustrations with the AI. :oops: And aside from that, I always have something to keep my busy - I have so many different interests and there's always something to do, so I don't think I'll ever get bored. :D

Congrats! :)
    Just earlier today I was having a look at the Z1 website. Gotta admit, SimDash and Z1 Dashboard would be great if I had a small spare screen, as I don't like having to turn on the WiFi whenever I want to use my tablet for telemetry. And my tablet is really showing its age (got it exactly 10 years ago), and with 100+ dashboards for AMS2 plus many more for other sims, working with it is reeeaaally slow at times. :confused:

Then again, I really enjoy using SIM Dashboard because it's reasonably easy to get something that works and looks good. :cool:

That's cool! May I ask what kind of style you prefer? And which information you want included (ideally ranked by importance)? Because I was actually thinking of creating a new generic dash, possibly using some of the experience I have gained since my previous attempts.

No, unfortunately not as far as I am aware. The app can detect which sim is running and automatically switch over, but that's it I'm afraid. That being said... I think it would be possible to implement, even if it would have to be done manually by the user for each dash. The sim should already provide data about the player's car designation, which could be used to identify the active vehicle and automatically assign a dashboard. There are certainly some challenges when implementing this, but I believe stryder-it could do it if it's feasible. Did you sent him a mail with this suggestion yet?

• Like Like x 1
  13. newtonpg

Give me some time, please

First things first...
    I'm simracing for a while now, passing by rFactor, iRacing, rF2, AC, AMS, RRE
    and AMS2 - including ACC that I own but rarely fire.
    In other words I'm an old fart and if you want to know, an underdog rated too.

I don't give a penny for gaming against AI, including championships.
    I do prefer win or lose by humans, nothing to celebrate by winning a code.
    I also prefer online racing, even with some BS drivers over there.

Regarding dashes, my preference goes to Raceroom's OtterHud where one can find literally everything a hud can offer (from witch I select only a few).

Back to AMS2, why the need of dashes? Because even on triples, my monitors are no more than okeyish 23" 1080p and for the vast majority of cars it is very difficult to see what is going on the bottom of the central screen (as they appear too much dark).

So I'm using SimHub for years now, developing my own desings (none partilarly polished but useful to my needs).

What can't be missing:
    1. Tachometer of any type. Preferences largely varies but some resemblance with the original is welcome. Configurable gear blinking at its indivual redline is a must in SimHub and also Z1 dashes. Don't know others. I know, most cars in AMS2 have only one redline but... there are exceptions.
    2. Lap timings. Ongoing lap, best lap, delta to best, race time.
    3. Fuel: Remaining volume, remaining time, remaining laps, consumption per lap.
    4. Tyre info (maybe different pages for practice and race): compound, temp, press, wear, ideal press (from linear I-M-O temps, just a number or color code, not the temps themselves), ideal camber (I-O diff.), Tyre slip using viper4 plugin for SimHub since AMS2 telemetry advices for wrong values passed by game.
    5. Info about TC, Boost, ABS and the likes.

That's it and thank you!
    Assuming that leadboard, track position and game messages are well managed by the ingame hud.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. No Insurance

No Insurance New Member

Hello!
    I am looking for a leaderboard dash, or at least how to do it for Sim Dashboard.
    Thanks,
    Cheers!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. XTRMNTR2K

@newtonpg Whoa, that's quite the wishlist! I'll see what I can do. :)
    One question, though: When you say the tachometer should resemble the original, are you talking about the HUD the sim uses or the tachometer of the car itself? Coming up with something generic that fits all individual cars could be... challenging to say the least. :D

Would something like this work for you?

If you want to create your own leaderboard, this should be fairly simple in SIM Dashboard. The app even has a widget specifically for that purpose, which I used in the Personal and Racing Timing Screens I linked above. Removing the track map from either one and increasing the size of the leaderboard is also very simple if you'd like to do that. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. newtonpg

Sorry, I have not much proficiency in English, so it's easy to be misinterpreted.
    Yes I know a good generic tacho is practically impossible. o_O
    According to MoTeC website "Display Creator is free to download and comes with samples to get you started". This is the app used to program all MoTeC displays and there I learned you don't have a standard/default display but a handful of programable options. So from my POV this could be the way to one (or some) generic dashes. :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. No Insurance

No Insurance New Member

Would something like this work for you?

If you want to create your own leaderboard, this should be fairly simple in SIM Dashboard. The app even has a widget specifically for that purpose, which I used in the Personal and Racing Timing Screens I linked above. Removing the track map from either one and increasing the size of the leaderboard is also very simple if you'd like to do that. :)[/QUOTE]

Yep! That will work exactaly like you said, removing the map. Thank you!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. No Insurance

No Insurance New Member

This is my vertical side dash design for SIM Dashboard!

The Design is called: Multifunction vertical dash AMS2
    Follow the link to view and download it: Multifunction vertical dash AMS2

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. XTRMNTR2K

Happy to hear it! :)

Very nice! I like that you included button box functionality as well!

@newtonpg
    Alright, so I spent the better part of an afternoon working on a generic dashboard including all of the data you mentioned. It's far from perfect yet, mostly because not all of the features you wished for can be included in SIM Dashboard. That being said, I am still happy with it overall, as it does a fine job for a generic GT, Formula and Prototype dash IMHO. :)

The dashboard consists of three pages, although the third page is mostly for diagnostic purposes with things like axis input and G-forces being displayed among other things.

Generic GT / Formula / Prototype Dash Page 1/3
    [​IMG]

Generic GT / Formula / Prototype Dash Page 2/3
    [​IMG]

Generic GT / Formula / Prototype Dash Page 3/3
    [​IMG]

The first page has the fuel data you asked for - disregard the faulty screenshot, fuel time left wasn't working because my tablet lost the wifi connection during my test run (at least I think that was the reason), and session time doesn't work for solo practice, if I remember correctly.

In addition to the data you see in the screenshot, there is a popup with things like ABS/TC/ERS/Brake Bias numbers whenever you change them; it covers the left (fuel) box entirely.

Speaking of fuel, the blue bar behind fuel load only works correctly if you fully fill up the tank at least once in the session, otherwise the highest fuel load will be used as 100 percent value instead. That's why it appears full in the preview despite having only 14.5 liters of fuel on board.

ERS is displayed both as name and a number, though the name widget appears empty when no ERS is present.

Additionally, there is a pit limiter popup text that appears in the center of the RPM bar when you turn on the limiter.

Regard wheel data on page 2, there is unfortunately no way to display tire compound on a per-tire basis (yet). I think it is possible to use mixed compounds in AMS2 (or it will be), so if the app itself supports it, it should probably become available in the future.

Temp values and tires were set as follows (you can easily change them if you want) to provide adequate color coding:
    Tires 60-100-120°C
    Brakes 200-500°C

Now I realize this isn't necessarily correct in a real-world scenario, as different cars, tire compounds and brake systems can have wildly varying ideal temperature ranges. Formula 1 brakes, for instance, work great at around 800°C or more if I remember correctly, whereas you'd easily ruin other less sophisticated brakes (or at least get significant brake fade) at these temps.

The same goes for tires, although I reckon something like 80-90 degrees Celsius +/- 10 degrees makes sense as ideal temperature range for most cars; although I find most AMS2 tires already work reasonably well at around 60.

Last but not least I decided to throw in the third page as a bonus, just in case you or someone else might find these bits of information useful. Not necessarily the kind of data you need during a race, though.

Oh and I almost forgot to mention the wheel lock/spin indicators; that's what the 4x3 side LEDs are for. Additionally, they also display flag status. (Priority is Flag > Lock > Spin)

Let me know how close this gets to your idea! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. No Insurance

No Insurance New Member

vertical side dash: Leaderboard

The Design is called: Vertical Leaderboard
    Follow the link to view and download it: Vertical Leaderboard

Thank you for the tip, @XTRMNTR2K ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1