1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The SIM Dashboard Community Designs Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XTRMNTR2K, Apr 9, 2022.

1. newtonpg

newtonpg Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Very well done, sir!
    That's kind of what I'm looking for.
    What an excellent approach to focus this generic dash on GT, modern formula and prototypes.

I'm too old to lost focus changing pages, although I know that's a valuable feature for most simracers. That said, I recon the importance of these data and that's why I have the ingame car info telemetry always on, even knowing that tyre color code doesn't functions (yet) for every car. Same applies to other info passed by the game hud, like delta time and others. That's why I prefer not to change dash pages. :oops:

Yes and please keep up the good work!

PS: The properties SIM Dashboard can't display are given by the game telemetry (and available in SimHub and others). I suppose developers must review Shared Memory API.

PS2: Tyre Slip values in telemetry must be corrected by Reiza - sorry can't remember the reference - altough easily checked using rps (wheel rotational speed), tyre diameter (not in telemetry but achievable using car speed at 0% slippage) and wheel speed. Ops, realized you'll need another app like SimHub or Second Monitor to do that, sorry.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. newtonpg

Confirmed!
    Tyre Slip by AMS2 Telemetry is useless and confirmed in calculus.
    That's why there's viper4gh plugin for SimHub on GitHub.

Data taken from Ginetta G58 at Road America / Paused / using SimHub with viper's plugin,
    where you can see theoretical calculus of tyre tangencial velocity matching plugin values and the reported ingame values.

Attached Files:

3. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

Quick question - are we talking about lateral slip? Or longitudinal, i.e. wheelspin (or locking tires)?

Either way, a great find! Would certainly explain differences in how and and when the game itself registers slip vs. an external app based on the telemetry data (just noticed this earlier today when I was trying some stuff with the 911 RSR GTE).

4. newtonpg

Longitudinal slip as in the name of the plugin

PS: Data can also be analyzed using SecondMonitor (free) telemetry app, leading to the very same results as SimHub

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  5. XTRMNTR2K

Happy New Year, everyone! I hope you made it safe into 2023!

Now what would a new year be without something new to play with? Boring, right?

That being said, the first new dash of 2023 is not so new at all - it's mostly some small fixes and the addition of a second page to an already existing design.

Porsche 911 RSR GTE for AMS2
    [​IMG]

Porsche 911 RSR GTE for AMS2 Page 2
    [​IMG]

The Porsche 911 RSR GTE recently received a second page for the in-game LCD, with a third page planned to follow. So I used the opportunity to tweak a few small things here and there, such as the text color and type. Fuel Delta was also moved to page 2 and instead Fuel Load is now displayed on both pages. By the way, fuel delta in AMS2 is something else - I could not figure out what exactly, but what I used as widget for delta was estimated fuel surplus after the end of the race. Additionally, fuel used in the app is only calculated for the current (or previous?) lap, whereas I think AMS2 shows the overall consumption since the start of the session or stint.

The ones I plan to work on next are all formula cars - specifically, the new F-Classic and F-Retro cars.

If you *really* want me to tackle the new Supercars DLC you're gonna have to buy it for me :p
    I'm not going to lie, my budget is super tight these days and I can only allow myself one or two small treats a month - and the Brazilian Racing Legends DLC Part 1 was already one of the things I treated myself to, so... :oops:

Either way, it will most likely be some time until I can get to those Super/Hypercars, because I am also missing the Historic Tracks DLC as well as the third part of Racin' USA - and I am more likely to buy those first; no earlier than next month or the first time they go on sale, though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. XTRMNTR2K

As promised, I started working on the Formula cars yesterday.

The first dash I finished was mostly a warm-up, as I could reuse a lot of my existing F-Classic Gen 1/2 design for this one:

Formula Classic Gen 3 (new) / F1 1990 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

It's not flashy, but it's faithful and it gets the job done. By the way, the main difference to my previous F-Classic Gen 1/2 dash and the new F-Classic Gen 3 is the range of the RPM gauge. This one needs to go up to 16k RPM because of the V12 model. All other models don't rev higher them 13,000 or 14,000, I think. (Easy enough to adjust if you want to tailor it for the other cars.)

McLaren MP4/4 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

And this is IT! The legendary, the famous, the outstanding McLaren MP4/4!

Most instruments were rather straightforward to implement, though these curved RPM bars always give me a little headache. I really wanted to include the white bars between the numbers and the bars, so I added a secondary bar for the numbers and bars above the actual RPM display. Unfortunately I can't get the white bars to be any slimmer, unless I increase their number maybe. Still, I like to think this is close enough to the real thing (for now).

Let me know how you like these!

• Like Like x 2
  8. XTRMNTR2K

Updated first post with cars that are still missing from classes that were complete prior to the latest game update.

9. XTRMNTR2K

Two more dashboards today - a Formula car and a Hypercar!

McLaren MP4/6 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

Even though the curved RPM widget of the app does not (yet?) support custom RPM ranges, I am fairly satisfied with this design. Due to the nature of the beast, the RPM bar can look slightly odd at the low and high ends, being one or two pixels too wide in certain places. As much as I tried fiddling around with the values I couldn't get rid of it completely, so this is probably as good as it gets for now.

The "Pit" icon lights up when the limiter is active, but the fuel icon doesn't do anything for now. At least I could not find a "fuel warning" lamp function for custom icon/svg widgets.

As a sidenote, this means the Formula Classic Gen 4 (formerly 3) is now finally complete - again!

Next up: The Brabham BT62!

Brabham BT62 for AMS2 Page 1/2
    [​IMG]

Brabham BT62 for AMS2 Page 2/2
    [​IMG]

Now this is a crazy car! Weight comparable to a GTE combined with the engine output of a supercar and advanced aerodynamics make for a formidable track weapon. And the dashboard, which is all digital, is pretty cool as well!

The basic design seems to be based on a MOTEC layout that is used in (and modified for) the V8 Supercars as well as the Camaro GT4.R. What really sets the BT62 apart is the inclusion of a digital rear view mirror - neat!

Unfortunately there's no way that could be added as telemetry output, so let's focus on what's there instead: Speed, Gear, RPM, timing data, engine temps, etc. - fairly standard for a race car actually, but useful nevertheless.

There is an oddity with regards to the RPM LEDs that I would like to mention: The AMS2 car has a very unusual behavior in that it first lights up the outermost green LEDs (1 on each side), then the orange ones one after another (2 per side) followed by the 2 innermost blue LEDs. Finally, when reaching the uppermost levels of the RPM band, the two orange LEDs next to the center ones turn blue as well. There's no way to replicate this exact effect in SIM Dashboard currently, so I opted to go straight to 4 blue center LEDs instead. Just thought I'd mention this.
    (Also, based on real-life footage the configuration of screen and LEDs seems to be different; I assume that the entire system is highly configurable and can be changed rather easily.)

That's it for today! The most likely candidate for the next dash is the MP4/5b, so that's what I'm probably going to work on next.

• Like Like x 4
  10. XTRMNTR2K

Heh, turns out I'm an idiot. The McLaren MP4/5b and MP4/6 use the exact same dash.
    On the upside, that means the F-Classic Gen 3 is fully covered by my dashboards again! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. XTRMNTR2K

Here's a big one for today, for one of the Nissans no less!

Nissan R89C for AMS2 Page 1/4
    [​IMG]

Nissan R89C for AMS2 Page 2/4
    [​IMG]

Nissan R89C for AMS2 Page 3/4
    [​IMG]

Nissan R89C for AMS2 Page 4/4
    [​IMG]

Whew, that took a bit longer than expected! I started work on this earlier this week, laying the groundwork for the design and getting the first page to a state that was around 90% complete. That alone took the better part of an afternoon. Two days later I could finally resume work on this beast, tweaking the basic design further and finally adding the remaining three pages. Similar to the other Group C / GTP cars, I had to condense the instruments due to the layout of the cockpit.

There's a few cool things here to note: While the scale of the RPM gauge isn't the same as in the sim, it is dynamic, meaning that the scale and numbers adapt dynamically to every car. The bit of red tape (at least that's what it looks like) covering the 7,000 RPM mark shouldn't mess with other RPM scales too much... I hope. Either way, it's easy enough to remove the extra layer if you don't like it.

The shift light is also quite different from what you see in most other design, because it utilizes a combination of background graphics, a semi-transparent flat RPM LED widget (two, actually!) and finally a classic LED widget on top of that. It's not perfect, but probably as good as possible given the limitations of the app.

Gotta admit... I was not expecting a Group C car to have such a modern dashboard offering this much information to the driver. That was a very cool surprise when I first saw it.

There's also some news regarding another Nissan; the GT-R GT3 actually uses pretty much the exact same LCD screen and config as the Formula Trainer and MetalMoro MRX P3. The main difference is in the configuration of the LEDs, so I'll still make this an original design. Either way, it should not be too much work.

Other than that, I am still unsure if I want to cover one of the remaining Formula cars or the remaining Super/Hypercars (C8 Z06 and McLaren Senna) next. The latter will most likely require more work to get right (especially the Corvette)... But should be a fun project, nonetheless!

As always, let me know how you like my work!

• Like Like x 4
  12. XTRMNTR2K

Today I can finally scratch off two more cars that were listed as "missing" from my list in the first post! Yay!

Lotus 98T for AMS2
    [​IMG]

I've got to admit I'm quite proud of this one. At first glance it looks like the background is merely a screenshot that was taken from the game, but there was a bit of Photoshop-Fu involved in making it all fit on the limited space of a tablet/smartphone screen.

In order to fit all relevant instruments I had to condense the background as well, lowering the upper part containing the LCD screen and also "squishing" it vertically so that there was also enough space for the three colored lights at the top. This was a relatively time-consuming task, more than I would have thought!

Now that it's finished I am quite pleased with the result. The analog gauges were re-used and modified from the Formula Classic G1M2, by the way; it appears as though the Lotus 98T instruments were actually used as inspiration for that car's dashboard.

Nissan GT-R GT3 for AMS2 Page 1/4
    [​IMG]

Nissan GT-R GT3 for AMS2 Page 2/4
    [​IMG]

Nissan GT-R GT3 for AMS2 Page 3/4
    [​IMG]

Nissan GT-R GT3 for AMS2 Page 4/4
    [​IMG]

As I mentioned before, the Nissan GT-R GT3 practically uses the same LCD model and configuration as the Formula Trainer Advanced and MetalMoro MRX P3. The main difference here being the omission of the flag side LEDs as well as using a different RPM LED strip.

Background illumination was also tweaked slightly, as the greenish color does not seem to be as pronounced in the Nissan. Other than that, and the background graphics of course, it's the same as the F-Trainer Advanced and MRX P3.

Next up is most likely the Nissan R390 GT1. I've always been fascinated by this car ever since I first saw it in Gran Turismo, haha. But aside from that, the dashboard is really cool, so I can't wait to start working on my dashboard for it!

• Like Like x 5
  13. Piston Broke

Piston Broke New Member

I HATE to be 'THAT' guy, but knowing you're a stickler for detail, there's an 'A' in research. Your dashboards are awesome btw :cool:

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. XTRMNTR2K

Thanks! I didn't actually notice because I didn't write that text - the basis was a screenshot of the cockpit in AMS2, so that's where the actual spelling error is... Not sure if I want to go through the hassle of fixing and re-uploading all four pages for this, but if any other issues come up I'll make sure to get it fixed. :)

...also, I juuust finished the remaining Nissan. The 5-page R390 GT1 dashboard should be ready tomorrow. :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So is that typo a Reiza error or one modelled from real life? I think the Audi GTO had some misspellings in its dashboard labelling.

• Like Like x 1
  16. XTRMNTR2K

Just did some quick digging, it seems to be a typo that was carried over from the PCARS2 model. A photo of the real cockpit shows the correct spelling.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. XTRMNTR2K

As promised, I present to you the finished Nissan R390 GT1 dashboard! This beast of a dash consists of a whopping five (!) pages no less!

Nissan R390 GT1 for AMS2 Page 1/5
    [​IMG]

Nissan R390 GT1 for AMS2 Page 2/5
    [​IMG]

Nissan R390 GT1 for AMS2 Page 3/5
    [​IMG]

Nissan R390 GT1 for AMS2 Page 4/5
    [​IMG]

Nissan R390 GT1 for AMS2 Page 5/5
    [​IMG]

One thing I really like about the R390 cockpit is that they decided to use secondary LCDs with green numbers rather than the typical red you usually see in a race car. It really pops visually and helps to set speed and remaining fuel aside from from everything else.

The entire dashboard is pretty faithful to the car in the sim (even down to the spelling error "resarch", lol!); the only thing I had to change was moving the fuel display closer to the main screen, otherwise it would not have fit onto the screen.

I also wanted to combine pages 4 and 5 (brake and tire temps), but couldn't do so space-wise without sacrificing legibility. So yeah... You're gonna need 5 pages for this beast!

Hopefully I'll be able to spend more time with the R390 on the virtual racetrack soon!

• Like Like x 3
  18. Piston Broke

Piston Broke New Member

How do you stop the screens switching between AMS 2 and Project Cars 1?

19. XTRMNTR2K

Wait, what? It does that for you? That's weird. First time I heard of the app doing that.
    Out of curiosity, do you have PC1 installed as well? And how is your SIM Dashboard Server app set up for AMS2? AutoDetect, PC1 or PC2? Should be set to PC2 based on your in-game settings, I think.

20. Piston Broke

Piston Broke New Member

Aaahh, that was it!! it was set to auto detect, changed it to PC2 and it's all good, thank you!! :):)

• Like Like x 1