1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 'What Are You Currently Doing in AMS2?' Thread (Discussion of Most Fun Ways to Play AMS2)

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Chip, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Very clean interface! I will have to give it a shot.

• Like Like x 2
  2. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

Since last week having fun with async multiplayer on racecraft.online.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Will try joining an RCO DTM race tonight, that's still pending.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Chip

I love Racecraft.Online ! If anyone hasn't tried it yet, I highly recommend it. Even if zero people join, which seems to be rare since I just had a full grid of other players, it's still a blast with the AI! My pace isn't great, but I enjoy trying to rack up consistency and safety points at the minimum. Coming from iRacing and ACC, this has been a massive breath of fresh air all around. I'm actually having fun with sim racing again! Major props to whomever developed Racecraft!!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I haven't raced online for a long time because it was hard to find good servers in AMS2. Now with RaceCraft (RCO) I race online more often and the grid is almost always well filled.
    It feels to me like a small, still very young iRacing.

Last edited: May 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  6. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Trying to work on clutch-less shifting the Formula Classics. Weirdly I've been faster with traditional heel-toe, but I'm slowly trusting that the transmission won't break. Cleveland and '88 Montreal are just so good in these cars, carrying the cars right out to the edge.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I am taking GPlaps idea of a driver dynasty starting with the 67 F1 season, doing 80 minute races. Already at the 4th round in Spa, after 1 podium in Monaco and 2 DNF's in Kyalami and Imola, one with a mistake and the other with an engine failure. Having a blast, Hulme is leading the championship with Amon second and Bandini third.

When out of time to do the long races I am using Racing Life to do a modern carrer mode, having a great time with sim right now.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I've been focused on single player with Racing Life for quite a long time now, with some "house rules" in place for each season. Currently I'm driving with these:
    - double race lengths with an upper limit of 40 laps
    - mandatory pits
    - real weather (trying it out again after switching to random slots for my previous season)
    - slight variance in race starting times
    - maximum grid size for every series
    - time acceleration enabled if I end up in series/races where it makes sense
    - Stock Car 2020 Race 2 point system to give more reason to fight for positions past the first 10.

I like the idea of doing an F1 over-the-decades career. Starting with the oldest cars, advancing one generation after every season or after finishing sufficiently high in a season. Top 5 or so. Maybe I'll do it after this RL season to switch things up. I haven't given the AMS2 openwheel side as much time as it deserves.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Chip

Do you encounter any issues with real weather when time acceleration is enabled? In the past, I've found that it causes AI to pit extremely frequently for instance because weather changes too frequently sometimes.

10. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I very rarely use accelerated time or weather progression. The only times when I do are shortened endurance events like 24h Nords packed into 5 hours. The weather has behaved well for me in those cases despite being accelerated by 5x, but in theory it's possible that I just happened to get a date with minimal weather changes so the acceleration didn't turn it into an insane flip-flopper.

That is for single events. I have had issues with real weather in custom championships in the past though. The issue is highly accelerated weather progression even when the session settings in the championship creator show "Real time" for weather and time progression. I've seen VIR Grand get enveloped by an impenetrable fog and completely clear up again within about 2/3 of a lap. The same for a track going from light cloud and dry into rainy and soaked. These issues are the reason I switched to random weather slots for my previous season. The real weather is excellent when it works though.

So far my three races in this season have gone without issues with real weather. It could be coincidental, but I've made a point of toggling the weather progression setting to 2x and back to real time again in all sessions when making the championships this season. I'm hoping that it actually works around whatever bug causes the issue, but who knows. It's ongoing testing.

In general, I'm not sure if I'd recommend using weather acceleration settings higher than 5x. It has the chance to become a flip-flopper even when it's working exactly as it should be. 25x acceleration means you could go from (1) clear sky to (2) storm to (3) medium cloud and (3½) halfway through to foggy in 6 minutes in the game if that's the weather data that was written from 4 hours of real life observation. A sequence like that is never going to feel natural and I'm not sure if it's even possible to prepare the AI for it. I suppose it could make for some weird multiplayer fun with mates though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Im exclusively trying to destroy any opposition on some of the historic tracks in TT mode
    - driving some of the higher powered formula cars.
    But there are a few stubborn top LB guys on some of the tracks I cannot "destroy" ;)
    Cruel world - but they must be able to do something I cannot :D

Oh thinking about it - they do probably just use some more advanced equipment than me :p

ByTheWay: Thinking a bit more serious about it then its not so much trying to "destroy" the opposition as it is to try to drive THAT perfect lap. And trying that takes a lot of practice :p

Last edited: May 16, 2023
  12. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Real weather Is still bugged in Custom Championships unfortunately, sometimes it's fine, others it's bonkers.

It's not causing me much issue with the F-vintages with the all weather tires, but with any class with slicks, it would be unplayable.
    I am hoping they manage to get on top of this bug, been a while.

13. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

I got 2 custom championships going. 1998 CART and 1988 F1. With custom liveries, drivers, and practically all the main tracks, and reasonable AI, it's pretty fun.

14. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

Easter egg hunting.
    And guide korean tourists to around circuits;)

15. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Have you found the Kyalami easter egg, yet? :p

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

I lost my passport in center hill of Südschleife... i will get there soon;)

• Like Like x 1