1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on Le Mans Ultimate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter Kasbergen, Feb 21, 2024.

1. newtonpg

newtonpg Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for the post!

Took your advice and grabbed a capuccinno.

Interesting pov is the minimum I could say, and I'll not contradict any but will add some comments. And please, don't take me wrong as I don't wanna debate!

I grab this game two days ago and it surprised me (for the best).

You're from Uruguay right? Here in Brazil (nowadays) I am jealous about how economy seems to go better in your country than mine, specially speaking about taxes. Around US$ 20 in Brazil (R$ 96) is a bargain considering the game market and even a terrible scenario of game halted development (wich I don't believe) could only result for me to lost a few BigMac. But I'm enjoying LMU.

I've run rFactor and then rFactor2 in the past but unnistalled some time ago since they changed their price policy. I liked rF a lot and rF2 too but without enthusiasm and uninstaled thanks to some long lasting knowing issues. We all know LMU is rF2 based and from my pov it is an evolution. There are problems indeed but LMU is in the right way.

You're enjoying the jorney of AMS2 but don't want to take the journey of LMU, it's ok, is your decision. I'm a 72yo seed potato grower with little spare time and jumped into LMU without leaving my beloved AMS2.

Some say LMU don't priorityze DD, I really don't know as my wheel is belt driven and all I can say is FFB in LMU is good, very good.

Finally, VR price is too much for me to invest into a evolving technology some users can't adapt, I'm on triples.

All the best!
    :)

BTW: Your DIY DD/FFB experience is simple fantastic! Zillion times better than mine into pedals and simrig.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that you have a good feeling in LMU. That was it for me before with belt bases on rf2. Unfortunately, that has changed a lot with dds and Gabriel said a lot of good things that I feel the same way. I don't want to stop anyone from playing this sim because everyone feels different about it and above all it's still very good with strap bases. I only pass on my personal impressions and experiences. For me at the moment LMU and rf2 are very far behind in the driving experience and FFB with my hardware. Maybe something will change in the future, but I don't think so. In the end, what counts is personal taste and whether it's fun

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Mirko Pricoco

Mirko Pricoco Active Member

My personal opinion...
    IT'S AMAZIIIIIIIIIIING!!!!
    Something i could never imagined as i was F1 addicted but as soon as i put my hands on them my brain exploded. Some people have complained about sliding effect when you turn, but, i havent touch nothing on setup (just the brake pressure) and i feel myself very comfy. It's all about practice.

I play this game in VR only and it's the ONLY ONE game i can play smoothly with a nice resolution with no blurry image or FPS loss.

Now i expect to have more LMDH cars plus (i hope) another Formula Next Gen updated (hopefully with a new cockpit).

The only negative note???? Racing at night in VR is not really good as the lights effect makes all the shapes like dotted...Hopefully they will fix this or put an option to balance the light effect of the beams.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Mirko Pricoco

Mirko Pricoco Active Member

Sorry to ask but what specs you have?

With my PC every race load in 5 seconds, the game launch in less than 30secs and even if i change a setting (unless is MSAA or supersampling where you need to restart the game) it takes few secs to load a race.
    Consider that i race in VR so i take much more performance from my machine but still...If you need any help let me know. Probably we can go around that!!!

5. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Cheers, thanks for replying! I'm taking all you said in very good spirits, have no worries about it.

Very close: I'm from Argentina. While our import tax per se is below Uruguay and Brazil IIRC (50% in our case), our problem since the last 4 years is the credit card taxes for abroad purchases, which add another 75% on top of the base product. Which means that for buying something plus shipment (which down to South America is never cheap for anything bulky) we have 125% of overcharge! If it wasn't for DIY, I would still have my old Logitech G25 :)

These credit card taxes also apply to Steam purchases, as it's an online platform working outside of the country, and we lost the regional pricing, which was frankly ridiculous and overly cheap, it had to go away (if I told people what I paid for AMS2 and its Season Pass in dollars, they would like to send a missile over my head). All of this means that a 30 dollar game to me has a 75% tax increase, costing 52 in the end. That's why I look like a cheapskate lol.

How we spend our time is so relative to measure. I'm sure you are quite busy and won't even dare to deny that. Personally, I'm 38 years old and have a nice family fortunately. I want to spend time with them, and they want to spend time with me. When it's time for myself, I usually fire up AMS2. And when I want to try something different from AMS2, I usually go to AC and some of its very particular mods that offer good content that I would kill to have here but we cannot due to licensing issues, like national series. The Turismo Carretera mod (hidden under the disguise of Gran Turismo Sudamericano Gen 2, from APVS) is actually a very high quality content and I had lots of fun hustling it around argentine tracks! :D

And going even a bit further off topic: I have a bass guitar on my room that I have given it very little attention as of late, and would like to play and learn it a bit more.

So there is a very personal PoV and reasons why I'm not tagging along this journey. It does not mean I won't hop aboard it further down the road :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

As a happy user of your custom files, it's me who has to thank you for your contributions :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. newtonpg

That's good! I play guitar and a bass player would be awesome. I heard tango a lot in my youth and I like it, unfortunately I'm not too proficient in this rithm.

I only comment about spare time because it seemed to me as an excuse, sorry if it was inadequate.

And yes, taxes in our coutries are very high and almost at the same level, specially when taxes are one way road, without return to the people.

Edit: I was introduced to some good Argentinian tracks from rF, rF2 and AC. I'm sure they could be an absolute success pack in AMS2 but I think there are some licencing barriers, am I right?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Yup, the governing bodies of local series are such a PITA...

9. Phantas79

Phantas79 Member

I've just posted it here on another thread.
    I know it's for a DD but my son uses the same ffb file on a logitech G belter.
    (DISCAIMER - It's very personal and i like heavy steering and raw ffb. Don't let go of the wheel or your HOUSE will occilate to ruble on DD :D)

Attached Files:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Phantas79

Phantas79 Member

For those interested, this guy explains how to run LMU in VR, it technically works.

But it's far from optimised ... VR modes are allways the last on the list :(
    (except on the list of features to ditch when the studios run out of money :p)

I don't even fully understand how Reiza pulls it off in AMS2 :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Siggi_Stoppschild

Siggi_Stoppschild Active Member

What I don‘t like about LMU: The online mode.
    While it‘s working perfectly fine from the technical side, here‘s my problem with it: I‘m not fast. And this somehow means, that I always get to race against guys that are only there to crash into each other & to pull off other sketchy moves. This destroys the fun of racing online & of course the safety rating goes down the drain.

12. Phantas79

Phantas79 Member

Thats why I stick to AMS2 :D
    What held em back when I started racing were the same crashtest-dummies ... so good drivers turn off all the "aids" to scare off newbies.
    Yet allowing a driving/cornering line or TC/ABS make a sketchy driver less of an hazard imo ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Peter Kasbergen

Peter Kasbergen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm in the same boat. I guess we need to wait for custom servers to enable league racing. I hope they implement some race control features for the host as well as some nice camera tools for streaming.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Siggi_Stoppschild

I read on the official LMU Forum, that with the next update of the game there will be a change, that you don't get punished anymore when you get hit. I'm really looking forward to this.

• Like Like x 1
  15. newtonpg

Good to know but at the same time I can't imagine how they could differ a normal early braking from a brake-test over you

16. Peter Kasbergen

Peter Kasbergen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It could be as simple as NOT penalising the person that gets hit from behind. A good reporting system will still weed out the brake testers later.

17. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

After almost 100 hours in the game (LMU), I've finished experimenting with the FFB settings,
    There is no improvement achievable with the settings, I think it is a flaw of the game engine. low-speed FFB isn't there
    If there isn't a significant improvement in the FFB at low speeds and the Tire noises remain absent, I'll be very disappointed.
    But since there are quite a few people who think that a, for me, worthless FFB is fantastic, I'm afraid that not much will change
    Count yourself lucky to have FFB in AMS2 and the possibilities that exist to customize it

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The scheduled-lobbies are exactly what makes the game fantastic for me, fixed start times reasonable race length and no "Track-days", no private lobbies and almost no losers by quitting you have to go through the Bronze phase and make sure you stay away from trouble, once you are silver it gets much better and the races are also a bit longer, so far, the races for me were clean, the only collisions I've had from the cars that lost control in an acceptable manner (And in the AI races, AI just rams on)

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. Siggi_Stoppschild

The light FFB at lower speeds is an issue of an inverted suspension that should be fixed with the first Patch coming out this week.

20. Siggi_Stoppschild

I can only race on the weekends & so far I had no luck racing online. I got crashed into, used as a rail during corners etc and my rating only went down so far. At the moment I don‘t know how I could escape this mess and it‘s a bit frustrating.
    Overall I really how the online system of LMU is setup, but a clean race would be nice.