To Reiza: What physics do you actually want?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Richard Wilks, Jan 3, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

It was discussed, but don’t know if we came up with a conclusion. We will have to wait until Reiza come back from their holidays and go bug squashing

• Like Like x 1
  2. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

I've never seen any conclusion on any forum yet. :D It's always the same. At least 10 % of people are race drivers and still have opposite opinions.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Richard Wilks

Richard Wilks Active Member

Yes that was one of the things i suggested, but of course, how the inner works of the tires are will dictate if that is indeed the case or not, and only reiza people can know that for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

Took an AMS2 break for a while to play some other sims and I only just realised how lenient AMS2 is when it comes to steering input, you can yank the wheel pretty much to full lock through a corner and you'll barely get punished for it physically other than an increase in tire temps, I'd expect a lot more understeer from such heavy steering input but the car just sort of continues to drive normally

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

I’m enjoying ams2 but yes totally agreed here
    Also the tyres are very forgiving
    Sim physics need to be sharpened a tad to punish sloppy driving , I think iracing a tad too punishing .
    Just a few tweeks to the ams2 physics should do the job

only based on my few track days & countless go kart events , I’ve also managed to do a 360 in my road car , limited experience but some

6. Racinglegend1234

Maybe lateral grip needs adjusting

• Like Like x 1
  7. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

don’t know
    Who ever is in charge of the physics at rezia is the man

8. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

What about rF2? I have the same feeling and I don't think it must be wrong. If iRacing is most realistic and rF2 as well we have typical forum debate again. How could be opposite physics both real? :D

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Racinglegend1234

Steelcast and crimson could help, but I don’t know how is the head of physics. Don’t think they have a head of physics due to their small size.

10. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

I think rf2 has a decent balance
    Iracing is good but I wouldn’t say most realistic
    The fact iracing is the most punishing doesn’t make it realistic

AMS2’s tyres needs to be a tad more dynamic with levels of “punishment “ & a little more unforgiving overall , only a bit though , when devs make changes in this respect I’ve noticed it’s exaggerated
    Just a little is all that’s needed imo

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

Yes, that makes sense to me. I still like rF2 a bit more in some sense. It's very similar to AMS2 which is awesome but in rF2 there is another level of "deepness". Driving in rF2 is still unbeatable to me but hard to say if it's even real. AMS2 is much better game and with awesome content.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

And in case anyone thinks this isn't a huge thing that's immediately apparent, please take a few minutes to watch this:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

agreed
    I bought ams2 just over a year ago & got a refund as I thought it drove terribly , few weeks ago picked it up again & it’s a vast improvement on what it was
    So hopefully the physics re.tyres / the driving standard required by user will still receive updates

We will also be able to put it into the undisputed full sim category
    ( like iracing & rfactor 2 ) which I think is where most users want it to be

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Ouch, he's not even scrubbing speed. Not good.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Stanj2

Stanj2 New Member

Yes PCars2 has their "loose" setup that can be very loose depending on where you go with the setup. A lot of people, me included, were put off by their defaults and the tuning work that was required to get where you wanted to be. The Holy Grail of racing is a car that allows that allows you to dance on the head of a pin rather than teeter on the edge of a cliff. What I was ranting about in my post was that changing to the vintage and comp tires on the 98T and C9 SauberLM at 100% boost changed the characteristic of those cars in a surprising, to me, way that allowed me to tame the balance in high speed corners between a condition of push and loose with a whisper of brake and throttle application. That was fun. What I really appreciated was that leaving the hairpin on Spa Historic the C9 Sauber could spin the tires up on boost, once straightened out, without a sideways leap and accelerate up through the gears. The tendency to what I feel is excessive "torque steer" on wheelspin in a straight line is something that PCars2 and AMS2 have in abundance. It may explain why we tend to be consumed with differential tuning a lot of the time to tame some of the cars tendencies. As some are saying the tires longitudinal vs. lateral grip and crossover rates may bear some adjustment as just changing the tires in PCars2 had a rather profound change.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Richard Wilks

About the fact that a car moves around it's center of gravity, notice around the 4 minute mark and beyond how the car in front is moving through the corners:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Sorry if I'm stupid, but I don't quite follow what are you trying to show us here? Would you kindly ellaborate on this? I'm just drooling at the footage lol.

18. Richard Wilks

Notice how the car in front is many times literaly going through corners slightly sideways, and when he either straightens up, or turns to another corner, notice how he rotates around its center, and it's not just the rear that is stepping away. Its very visible in the downhill corners how the front is almost touching the kerb, and the car is basically 4 wheel drifting just ever so slightly.

• Like Like x 1
  19. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

He's trying to gaslight you into thinking PCars2 is correct by showing you videos of cars that behave nothing like PCars2 cars (irl cars don't suddenly flop into 20 degrees of yaw because they don't have zero moment of inertia).

Meanwhile, Niels actually discusses how the AMS1/2 throttle model feels compared to older sims and where a lot of the "I spin instantly on throttle in AMS2" complaints come from:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Racinglegend1234

Do you think lowering the sensitivity of the throttle will help with the wheelspin?