1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top speed of classic G1

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by alink, May 25, 2020.

1. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

the car which fits best to V10 is a kind of Williams between 2000 till 2002. The 2003 Williams had a lowered nose, so this doesn't fit. And a Ferrari looked much different..... williams00.jpg Williams 2000 williams01.jpg Williams 2001 williams02.jpg Williams 2002

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I Used the Classic Gen 1, the one with 1200hp or so. I hit 192mph with the default setup on the main straight going into crowthorne at Brands Hatch. Matches really nicely with the reports from 1986. I was actually surprised. They may be a little too fast as I wasn't working excessively hard to get as much corner exit speed as possible onto that straight, but I think it's pretty close.

3. InfernalVortex

Yeah as best as I can tell it's a 2000ish Williams. Front end looks kind of like a 2001 BAR or Toyota, but the match isnt really exact. Its just a really good generic front nose and wing, I think. But from the front suspension back it's pretty much a Williams, with some of the more distinctive aero bits made a little more generic.

4. alink

thanks for testing. I'm not informed that they broke top speed records on each track that time. But maybe the reason is that it wasn't measured on every single point as today and maybe it was not so important to reach high speed. When looking back to end of 60s, the 70s, and of course 1978 till 1982, the most important was to get maximum grip and corner speed, that's why wings where developed and the tires get even wider and wider. Wings as a part of the car or the car itself as a wing (wing car / ground effect car). After banning the wing cars the rear wings exploded, getting massiv in high and width with numberous extra wings, flaps and so on just to reach one aim; getting back the lost grip and corner speed they had with the wing cars.
    Maybe, reaching high speed was not the main goal but an unintendend side product when developing turbo engines with high power.

5. alink

sorry, in 2001 there wasn't a Toyota in F1, they started in 2002. The Toyota was (unofficial) a copy of Ferrari. This topic was very discussable that time because something like a partnership in developing cars was forbidden.
    And, I'm also sorry, BAR, undepending which year, doesn't fit in anyway with the V10.
    If you think about another front wing a 2002 Minardi could also be the base of a V10. But the downside of the nose is more straight instead of skewed downwards as at the V10.
    By the way, I don't thing that we match the right car because this doesn't exist. The V10 is a 'fantasy' with structial car design elemts in the time between 1999 and 2004.

6. InfernalVortex

Toyota TF101 was the 2001 car. It never raced. It did however, exist.

The BAR has a more similar nose, though. Ignore the wing, they're going to use generic wings no matter what. The problem is the car in the game doesnt have the chin on it(it's not really visible in this picture, but the BAR has it).

Which is why I say it's just the Williams FW23 with a generic front wing. I think they intentionally changed the nose and used generic front and rear wings on purpose.It's not meant to be an exact copy of anything, but I think it's a spitting image of a Williams FW23, between the wheels. FW23 even has the high nose, it just lacks the right shape. Most of the cars with the nose of the shape of the Formula V10 have much lower noses, while the high nose cars almost never have that downward droop. But between the front and rear wheels, I dont think you could get a more accurate copy of the Williams FW23 if you tried. The BAR I still think is close, but nothing quite matches. It's just similar because it's from the right era.

Note the BAR cars from 2002-2004 all look very similar, so images online are often mislabeled. The two cars below I believe are different years, but you can see the similarities and differences. I beleive the first with JV is the 2002 car, and the second is the 2003 car. But I also believe these cars are about as generic as you could get in terms of appearance. FW23 is the best match.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  7. alink

yes, you are right, in 2001 there was a Toyota F1 car but it never hit a race. Just for testing. But it looks very different to the V10, IMO.
    The two BARs you posted, the first with JV is from 2002, the second with JB is also an 2002 car (winter test 02/03). The 2003 car had another car design and sponsor layout.
    Compared to the V10 the side pods of the 2001/2002 BAR are also too high.
    To extend the discussion, what's about the 2001 Benetton? Maybe some parts compareable with V10 (of course, not front wing...)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Very informative you guys thanks:)