1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track layouts to receive AI line redos

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 26, 2023.

1. Alain Fry

Alain Fry Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Actually this is my overall feeling for some time now. The AI are doing great on fast sectors, sometimes very great you just cant match them as a human. And then they are struggling with low speed corners. This is obvious with some track car weather combos. A more balanced situation would be great but i guess its a nightmare to fix this.

Does anyone else have noticed that ?

Nb : i mostly play F1 cars (all eras), around F1 tracks, with AI at 120.

I have yet to test the 1.5.0.7 beta

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

The goal is to have minimal variation of lap times from combo to combo, so if you are a 100% level driver that´s the setting that should work for you give or take a few % - Group A might be missing a calibration pass following the latest tire adjustments so that´s the likely source of the discrepancy. The sector its losing more time on just represents where the thick of the hard corners are.

Generally speaking in order to isolate the source of discrepancy (car, track or both) you´ll want to test them with a reliable benchmark - the track we use for it these days is Barcelona GP 2023, if an AI car is too fast or too slow there, it´s the AI for that car that needs adjusting. If it is fine at Barcelona but too fast / too slow elsewhere, it´s the track. Feel free

Obviously, the driver is a factor - unless you are a very consistent driver and experienced with all car classes your own performance will vary, but if you typically match the AI at 100% in several classes the variations shouldn´t be more than 1-2s. If it is, please report.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 6
  3. Renato Simioni

If car / track is properly calibrated, 120% should be used only by a very elite class of aliens. Problem we have atm is that several of the tracks being adjusted now and many cars have had AI calibration issues, so even "normal" drivers need to bump it up to max to get a challenge in some specific car / track / weather combo.

We are really pushing to improve on this now, which is one of the reasons I´m redoing most of these lines myself as I want to remove the track variable from the equation as much as possible. We still have performance-impacting tire adjustments ongoing for player physics which obviously can throw AI balancing off-kilt, but for this next release I´m personally driving every car at Barcelona in dry and wet to try ensure these are reduced to a minimal.

• Like Like x 13
    • Informative Informative x 4
  4. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Great news. Yeah, I noticed at Spa 2022 I had to bump up the gt3s to 116 for me to fight for a podium, and I'm no alien.

While we are at it, Salvador that last chicane, the AI tends to be super fast there. Maybe they get away with taking the curbs more aggressively than I could ever do. Maybe worth checking, thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Imola 1988, the AI is very slow on a wet track at aque minerali and variante bassa, tested with the F-Classic G1

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Maybe Barcelona is not the best track to base all calibration on, because it lacks heavy braking slow hairpins as corner type (and in general lacks really heavy braking zones; heaviest is T1, but that is still a third gear corner in many cars), which is exactly where the AI are very weak on many tracks.

I tried to illustrate this point by racing 117 (!) AI on the track with the most slow hairpins in the game; Jerez.

Long story short; every single hairpin they brake too early, are too slow mid corner and only can keep up with the player on acceleration. This video should illustrate the issue very nicely (doesn't have to be watched in full, it's so long to show that it's consistently the same)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Renato Simioni

Is the above with the latest beta? Jerez lines have been redone. I´ll double check to confirm the V10 AI brake application is maxed out.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Renato Simioni

The latest v1.5.0.8 features AI line redos for the following tracks:
    • Azure
    • Goiania
    • Hockenheim Historic 1976
    • Hockenheim Historic 1988
    • Hockenheim Historic 2001
    • Imola Historic 2001
    • Imola 2020
    • Interlagos Historic (redux)
    • Kansai GP (redux)
    • Jerez (both layouts)
    • Monza 2020
    • Silverstone 2020 (redux)
    • Snetterton 300
    • Snetterton 200
    • Spa Francorchamps 2022 (redux)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 8
  9. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Yes it's on build 2390.

10. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Is there still a calibration pass to do on some of the cars with latest tyre tweaks (eg. F1 V12)? I just tried a couple of 5 lap races at Jerez (Historic & modern Moto layouts) and was way faster than the AI at 100% - default setup, dry, default AI (ie. not custom .xml).

At modern Moto, AI was doing between 1.29.x and 1.35.x where I was doing 1.26.x. Similar differences at Historic.

I'll also mention here, at the Moto race, there was an unscheduled FCY from the start of lap 5 (final lap), so the pack all bunched, but when the safety car pulled in at the end of the lap, as I was in 1st place, I decided to just cruise across the finish line thinking no overtaking would be permitted until the finish line was crossed after safety car, but was passed by most of the field before I reached it, and the result stood (I finished 18th). Is that a bug or is that rule not implemented?

11. Tony James

Tony James New Member AMS2 Club Member

Oops wrong thread

Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
  12. Renato Simioni

There is indeed. For the next beta build we´ll include only the classes that thoroughly revised (including FFB, wet tires and AI performances in all conditions) on the the green column to avoid this type of confusion.

BTW Dicra your video shows a bigger issue with large AI spreads than with AI braking per se, notice how they seem able to brake a lot later the higher up the field you go although even that can vary from corner to corner depending on their consistency. Tightening up too large discrepancies is an issue in default AI drivers in some classes we are looking to rectify now, but if you are using modded AI drivers it will still vary according to how the skill and consistency have been set for them, and from what I´ve seen mods use even wider spreads than we do (incidentally one reason to really avoid mods when reporting on issues with beta, you´re throwing in extra variables we have no knowledge or control of).

• Informative Informative x 3
  13. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Are the formula ultimate or GT3 in the new green section?

14. madchief

madchief Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Tried the AI revisions at Spa 93 and Imola 2001 using Formula V10 Gen 1 cars both at 120% difficulty:

Spa 93:
    • AI are 2 seconds slower in the beta compared to the live build, I got pole by 1.5 seconds without much effort
    • they lose a lot of speed going through Radillon/Eau Rouge
    Imola 2001:
    • AI is faster but I still easily got pole position on 120% difficulty
    • they brake later into Variante Bassa, where they lose the most time on live build, but could still be improved
    • They brake early into Acque Minerali and lose speed on exit
    • They are slow coming out of Variante Alta and brake a good 30m early into Rivazza

15. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The F-Classic G1&G2 still cant really handle Hockenheim 88, their line on the second chicane is too aggressive and they bounce all over the kerbs and crash with each other or spin. Also, nothing to do with their lines but anyway, most of the G1's cant complete a single qualy lap because they blow up.

16. Renato Simioni

Please report the times (can be just a screenie of the results table) and confirm you´re not using edited AI drivers, as those results don´t seem consistent with what you should be seeing.

17. madchief

Only using custom liveries but no AI files, I attached the screenshots with qualy times for both Spa and Imola at 120% difficulty.

EDIT: Tried Spa 93 in the F-V10 Gen.2 and the AI was much closer, within 0.1-2 secs, but I could still get pole on my second lap.

From observing them in the race, they are fast around most of the lap, but they are slow through Stavelot and as a result they lose 0.5 seconds there

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
  18. madchief

Few other feedback using Formula V10 Gen 1

Nürburgring GP:
    • generally the AI is fast all around, had a great race with them
    • 1 corner where the AI is slow is Dunlop curve where they brake too early and are too slow accelerating out of the corner
    Kansai/Suzuka:
    • Havent had time to observe the AI during a race but their qualy times are slower than expected.
    • On live build at 120 difficulty they lap around 1.33 - 1.34 which is probably way too fast and unrealistic compared to what a human player is capable of
    • On the beta they do 1.38 - 1.39 which is now just way too slow
    Attached screenshots of leaderboard at Kansai, the mobile pic is the live build.
    Both are taken with private qualy sessions with the same AI set, which has a tighter field than the default.

Attached Files:

19. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

Whoa, Cadwell Park AI pace is so much better than before. I still beat the Group A AI at 100% and Medium aggression, but they kept it much closer and posted laptimes that were commensurate with their improved pace at other tracks.

And the M3 was an absolute joy to fling around Lincolnshire’s “mini-Nürburgring”. (G25, Default+, 85/60/50/0). Well done, Reiza.

Update: please take another look at Spielberg Historic ‘77 chicane; I was over a second quicker per lap with the same settings as above without even really pushing the M3. The AI obviously need bigger pecs: performance enhancing code.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  20. Renato Simioni

@madchief are you sure you are on the latest beta (1.5.0.8 build 2391)? Those lap times are not consistent with what you should be seeing with the latest beta. V10 Gen1 @ Spa 1993 @ 120% for ex should be at least 1.6s faster. Some AI tires have been slowed down over calibration runs which may mean AI lap times may be slower for some combos than they are on release, and while all AI line redo improve things they won´t always iron out all inconsistencies vs player performance, but the lap times you are getting for some reason don´t stack up with what they should be. Assuming you are on the right version, could you share all your session settings so we can try reproduce the issue?

20230912044906_1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
    • Like Like x 2