1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track layouts to receive AI line redos

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 26, 2023.

1. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

I tested Hockenheim modern with F3 default AI @110. That was maybe a bit too quick for me, but still I found the following:

-AI don't make use of the possibility to extend T1 so they lose 2-3 tenths there
    -they also brake significantly earlier than the player for T2 and the hairpin after the long straight, allowing divebombs (tested against 4-6th placed AI out of 20)
    -they make up half a second on the player through the exit of the penultimate corner and the final corner.

I have to say that I didn't use default setup for this (Preload 210, and 0 toe angle on front in order to combat snap oversteer on acceleration through curved exits) however on default with F-Reiza the findings for T1 and the last two turns were the same while braking for the hairpin was less of an issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

You´ll always be able to divebomb the AI I´m afraid, if by divebombing you mean braking so late you overshoot the apex. There is a function for them to brake later when challenged for position but it´s used very conservatively as it can easily get them to tap the guy in front (including the player).

The F3 AI brake usage was indeed a bit subpar tho, I´ve adjusted that now for the next beta.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 4
  3. Dicra

Nah, in this case divebombing meant "braking 25 metres later and easily getting past while hitting the apex perfectly"

The function to brake later when challenged is a bit of a double edged sword; it helps a few of the usual AI abuse tactics, but the taps you're talking about do happen. In Hockenheim, on "aggressive" setting (of course it's to be expected that they are a bit more ready to make rash moves there) they regularly poke a nose to the inside in the stadium section and the last two turns (especially the last corner). Maybe that last bit of behaviour can be adjusted with a slightly slower, different AI line.

Looking forward to see the F3 AI in the next beta, thanks a lot for the current push to make the AI shine - it's really starting to add up to a very consistent result.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  4. madchief

madchief Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I am on the same version. I attached my setting and the results of another qualy session, but even on your screenshot the fastest AI only does a 1:50 and as I have mentioned in my previous comment a 1:48 should be doable by the AI too if the player can do such time.

Attached Files:

5. Renato Simioni

Yup I´m not disputing the report AI still needs a bit more pace at Spa 1993, however the fact the AI times you reported was over 1.6s slower than what they should be doing typically with your Kansai reports also having similar discrepancy raised concern of something else being amiss. Your latest report is closer to what you should be seeing although oddly still a good 0.5s off.

In any case there are further V10 Gen1 updates in the latest beta live now and the AI performance spread for V10 Gen1 should be much tighter than it was in the previous Beta, please check on that see if you at least get the high 49s / low 50s you should be getting.

Moving forward, let´s use this thread exclusively for suggestions of track layouts that have inconsistent AI performance - for reporting on persisting performance discrepancies even after AI lines have been redone, please use the AI Performance discrepancy report thread.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Dicra

Brands Hatch GP: Even after the rework, AI are too slow out of Westfield, mainly because they use a weird line that doesn't hit the apex. They lose almost half a second in this corner and are very easy to overtake if you get the line right.

They're also too slow out of Stirling's Bend, allowing themselves to be overtaken into the final corner (around 2,5 tenths time loss here).

This leads to the AI being generally too slow on this track compared to my baseline pace (TM).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. mdecker79

mdecker79 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Spa Francorchamps 2022:
    The new AI line is much better and much faster but there is still one corner where the AI loose time / slow down.

Going into turn 16 they loose time so coming out of 16 they are slow and then slower down the straight where you can make up time and pass them easy.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Dicra

There seems to be something off with the Bathurst circuit AI, even if it's only slight. The AI on that track is consistently too quick compared to my baseline strength of 110 on all classes tested (F-ClassicG2M2, F-USAG2 Reynard, F-V10G2, with time loss varying between 1 and 1.5 seconds - 110 is usually too weak for me for F-USAG2).

Especially in the last sector they are consistently quicker than me. I think they are a bit quicker out of the hairpin leading on the long backstraight, and they also are quicker into the last corner, where they very often try divebombs on me that are almost impossible to defend.

Also, after a few laps, there's always huge amounts of dirt buildup in T2, which makes it almost impossible to be as quick as the AI through there, because they don't get affected by that.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
  9. Dicra

Laguna Seca should be added to the list for one corner: At the long downhill left after the Corkscrew, the AI regularly gain around 7-8 tenths on me, being equally fast in every other section of the track. This maybe has to do with the player car on default setup almost always hitting the ground there, but even without I think the AI would be significantly quicker there.

10. Dicra

On Interlagos I gain about 2.5 tenths up the hill through the flat out kinks on the AI. That doesn't sound like much but prevents them from ever attacking me into T1 and makes my overtakes a lot easier, therefore this deserves a look.

It happens both on the 1991 and the modern version.

In other news, the AI is too slow through the Barcelona 1991 S section.

11. Dicra

At Velo Citta, the AI is too slow into the last corner in every class. The player can go towards the inside there and simply overtake; AI does not gain that time back.

EDIT:

My line vs AI line (I'm the red and yellow car ahead)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
  12. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Imola 1988, the AI needs better lines on both Variante Alta and Variante Basa, they take too much curbs and it unsettles them a lot, not to mention it looks very awkward how they bounce as if they were made out of gelatin, tested with F-HitechG2.

13. madchief

madchief Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Jacarepagua Historic - the AI goes into Girao way too hard and wide compromising their entry into Morette, where taking the correct line (narrow exit out of Girao) the player can gain significant time compared to the AI. Otherwise the AI is great around the track!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mazdaspeed

Also on Jacarepagua Historic, the AI is spinning constantly entering the fast left hander after the long straight on a wet track, tested on the F-RetroG2.

15. Mazdaspeed

The AI needs some divine intervention in Hockenheim 88 with the F-Classic G4 (and probably every fast formula class). Felt like I was racing with vanilla AC AI, they cant handle Bremskurve 2 and often crash with each other at Bremskurve 3. I think I already reported this issue, but just a refresher as it seems to be a though nut to crack that second chicane, it turns into a scrapyard after some laps.

16. Renato Simioni

Thread moved from the Paddock Club to the open forum so all users can be aware of the changes and contribute with new suggestions (please check full thread before posting).

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

Fontana Oval

On turn 1, the AI is too slow, as if it is braking when it is not necessary.

On turn 3, it's the opposite, the AI is too fast.

Test carried out with F-USA gen3, F-USA gen4 and Brasilian Stockcars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Yeah this problem also exists in Asseto Corsa versions of the track, where ai line makers get confused with the correct line there and through Suspiro, taking the line the other corner needs - full exit line through Suspiro and stay on the inside through the exit of Sul.

19. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

I reported something like this a while ago in this thread, even before the redo. Have not tried the combination in a while. I can give a try in a couple of days but if you have the time to test further, I suggest you to play with the setup. When I tested this I realized with a lower downforce car humans behave much more like the AI. You keep up in the fast zone and you must lift where they are slow.

20. Dicra

At Watkins Glen GP, the AI are universally around 3-5 tenths quicker than the player through the off-camber third to last corner. You could also argue they should be extending T1 because the player definitely can because of the lax track limits there. They also have a lot of trouble navigating T1 in packs; this could help twofold.

Also, they enter the optional chicane excessively quickly and crash frequently with formula classes.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023