1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyres Tyres Tyres

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Coanda, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

It's true.. A basic guide for so many tyres... :)

2. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

To clarify, it's not possible to give any data for "optimum" pressure or temp. values! It's a range in which the tires work best.

I hope that it is clear that there is a big difference between the measured values in pit (after run) and the actual values when cornering or driving with 350kph on a straight.
    In pit you will see an unstressed tire and therefore basic values. If on a straight with high speed, the tires may cool down under the basic values. But when cornering, tires are stressed, values go very high. So it will change under every condition, both the temp. and the pressure. But the only way to get clean and compareable values is when back in pit. All other values are only any snapshots and not comparable, maybe from lap to lap, but not right to left side or front to back end.
    When in pit, these are also not the real working values. But an engineer / driver knows that they rise when on track and has to calculate with an offset. So the job is to find starting 'cold' values (with the help of the unstressed tire after a run) to reach in best way the working range of the tire.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rober

Rober Member

This is from PCARS2, is from the same game engine but bear in mind we have now diferent tyres designed by Reiza. Would be cool to have something like this for AMS2.
    • Formula Cars (IndyCar, FX, FA, FR3.5): 1.7bar front / 1.45bar rear (24psi / 21psi) at road circuits.
    • The Dallara IR-12 oval tires like up to 45psi on the right side.
    • Modern GT & LMP: 1.8bar front and rear. Maybe down to 1.6bar for a very slow track like Long Beach or higher to 1.90-1.95bar at Le Mans to squeeze a little bit more off the rolling resistance.
    • Touring cars & V8 Supercar: 2.0-2.15bar front and rear
    • Ford Fusion: 2.4-2.6bar front and rear for road courses. Ovals might go to 3.0bar+ (45-50psi) on the right side
    • Light sportscars (Radical, BAC, KTM, etc): ~1.6bar (24psi)
    • Road car tires: All in the 2.1-2.2bar (29-32psi) range hot. Any MotorTrend readers will know how much they stop every few laps and bleed pressure to hold that target during the BDC tests.
    • Vintage GT: Roughly the same range as modern GT
    • Vintage Group 6 & Formula: Bit more flexible here. Something in the 1.7bar (25psi) range is usually a good starting point up to 2.0bar (29psi) or down to 1.2bar (17psi) to adjust for balance on something wild like the Lotus 72D
    P.D: Dont remember if this was posted by Casey Ringley or Doug Arnau.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
  4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I d
    Do you mean the real teams use bar? F1 and I think F2 and F3 use psi.

5. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

We were talking about ACC so when I said real teams I meant the Blancpain teams, and yes they use bar.

6. alink

As you, every team would have its own preferences

7. alink

For me, the most interessting is tire pressure for trucks, actually.
    I don't have any idea if the presetted pressures in AMS are good or bad.
    When driving, after 1 or 2 laps, middle tire temp is exploding. I don't know if it's my driving or wrong tire pressure. But with the lowest setable pressure I've got the same issue.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  8. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

But.....using bar vs psi is not just different numbers. While there are converters one can use, the key difference between psi and bar is that psi measures pressure as a one-pound force applied on an area of one square inch whereas bar measures pressure as a force applied perpendicularly on a unit area of a surface. So, it looks like there is more to it than just a conversion of numbers.

And it is way to early in the morning for me to think about it any further...... :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  9. alink

Yes, but for the nature / physics it doesn't matter which kind of unit you take or what basics for calculating.
    I mean, pressure is pressure, as force is force, length is length, and so on, independent if you use bar / psi, N / lbf, m / inch,....
    The same with temperatur, the one is for frozen water with some supplements (°F) the other one for the coldest point (°K or with an offset of 273 it's °C). But the physical and natural properties of temperature, heating, cooling, hot, cold, are untouched.

10. Micropitt

Good point, mate. :cool:

11. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Series organizers like F1 for instance mandate that teams must follow the minimum pressure requirements stated by the manufacturer for each race. So in that sense IT IS a regulatory matter. And again, whether you like it or not, the two values established (minimum cold pressure and target hot pressure) are MINIMUM values for structural integrity scope not optimal grip values that Pirelli cannot know for each car and driver.
    As a proof you can see that they are providing tables and curves with several pressures completely different from the minimum requirement.
    You are trying to give that booklet a meaning that is just not there. All it does is giving the minimum allowed pressures and the necessary tables/curves for the teams to calculate the contribution of tire loading. That's it.

12. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

the absolute perfect tire temp for most tires is 95°C
    there are some exceptions which is 90°C

tirepressure cant really be generalized cuz its dependant on the track, a very turny track would benefit from little to no tirepressure while highspeed tracks benefit from more air due to less roll resistance.

oh and ideal braketemp for most cars seems to be 263°C, but since braking will instantly increase the temp, thats pretty irrelevant for a normal driver

when i am saying "seems", that doesnt mean i dont know for sure, but that the majority of cars i looked into, that was the ideal temp
    i only tested a few of the ones i like tho

13. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Surely this is grossly oversimplified, even just within the boundaries of AMS2.
    Are you saying taking a road cars need the same tyre temps as an F1 car which is the same as long stint endurance prototype?
    Same for brakes. F1 cars have carbon/carbon brakes which operate a lot higher than traditional steel discs.

14. MasterLooser

i dont drive f1 cars usually, but i checked the tires, the tires were 95 and brakes somewhere at the top of 400, think it was 463 or something like that
    then again i only looked at one, and i dont want to go through each car and see if the temps are the same when in reality u wont really be in control of that part anyways.

95 as tire baseline should be what u want to aim for

• Like Like x 1
  15. Micropitt

I think you are off with the brake temp. At Interlagos I usually have over 900 when braking for T1 at the end of the start/finish straight.

16. MasterLooser

i am telling u the temp that has the highest brake effect, ofc u can have 1500 and it still brakes, but not very well

edit:
    format looks like this tire/brake
    formula v10 95°C / 426°C
    formula reiza (soft)100°C / 426°C
    formula ultimate (soft and hard)100°C / 426°C

thats all i checked, the loading screen is pissing me off

17. Micropitt

Where did you find that number for the brake temp?

18. MasterLooser

32 bytes above the current temperatur

19. Micropitt

I'm not sure what you are trying to tell me here. On what screen?

20. MasterLooser

in the games memory.
    i will look at the calculation tomorrow and keep u posted maybe i have overseen something

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1