1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@CrimsonEminence

Apologies for the tag, but I’m trying to get an issue with VR at least acknowledged, even if there’s no timeline for a fix.

A lot of people with Oculus headsets are trying to get OpenXR running in AMS2 as it can improve frame times and overall performance, as well as using VR tools like OpenXR toolkit.

The problem is, to get OpenXR to run, you need to launch in SteamVR mode. With an Oculus headset, this is not possible as the game launches in Oculus mode regardless off which runtime you choose.

You should be able to choose how VR launches and indeed in other sims you can, so there has to be a problem with how VR is loaded in AMS2.

Can you feed this back and provide any indication of the possibility of a fix please?

Thanks

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I’ve got a very general upgrade question for you all.

I’m currently using a G2 on an Intel i9 9900k, 2080Ti with 32Gb Ram. Alongside OpenXR I’m actually very happy with what I’m getting if you overlook night/heavy rain races with headlights behind you. I also play MSFS 2020 in VR….infact I only play sims and only in VR.

I’m looking to upgrade and trying to decide whether it’s worth biting the bullet and going full on with the i9 13900k, 4090 and 64Gb Ram, which would cost a great deal or save some money and make a smaller, cheaper and more incremental upgrade. I’m not a follower of IT, PC tech trends so don’t know where I may be going overkill (on the new build) or what upgrades would serve best in terms of bang for buck - If it’s a new build rather than an upgrade the PC would be purely for sim/vr….the old/current one would be used for work.

This may be a bit in-depth for the AMS2 forums but you guys know how the game performs across a wide range of gear.

Cheers

3. Wilfred de Ruijter

Wilfred de Ruijter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

After trying to fine tune the VR image of AMS 2 I start to think that the clarity and brightsness of this VR image is less then on monitors, is that correct? The objects in the near distance are crisp and sharp, but an image (of a car or parts of the track) at, let's say, 150m is blurry and grainy.

4. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Your Pico 4 needs to compress the image over wireless or usb, so you're not comparing like-for-like when you look at the quality on your monitor.

5. glenharrison8

glenharrison8 New Member

I also have a Pico 4 and using a 4090. Just trying to fine tune my settings. I can't quite understand your settings though?

AA from 16x to 2x? The AA settings aren't set like that unless you meant AF?

Supersampling down to 4x? Do you mean you are supersampling at 4x the res? I can't imagine any GPU can manage that?

Texture quality, going to try that one now and see how it goes :)

6. Wilfred de Ruijter

After reading and trying to understand all the relevant possibilities of this nvidia-page I still didn't have a good image. So I looked at some social media. On social media there were people saying that shimmering is because of a highly defined texture (with serveral colors and smaller than the pixel). So the Pico doesn't know which color to show on that one pixel. And thus the color is changing all the time. That's why I turned down AA to 2x (and I had texture resolution turned down as well). So I found my settings with trial and error.
    If somebody has better settings please share them. I can't get rid of the blurry and grainy images at a larger distance (> 150 m).

• Creative Creative x 1
  7. Wilfred de Ruijter

I know it compresses the data. Actually, I turned down the bitrate to 120 Mbps. So I had less latency. After a few weeks I turned it up to 150 Mbps and instantly I had better image quality.

8. glenharrison8

glenharrison8 New Member

Ah ok thanks, you are changing settings in the nvidia drivers? I leave all those as default and change stuff in the game itself.

the only way I have found to lessen the shimmering is by setting MSAA to high. It's the only thing which worked. Some then find the image to be a bit softer, but I just set virtual desktop sharpening to 50% You still get a little shimmering, but nowhere near as bad.

Changing textures made zero difference, at least to my eyes

9. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Given you managed to get OC and OpenXR Toolkit working, you could try the CAS sharpening in the toolkit. A lot of people seem to prefer it. Start at 100% and lower it if it's too much. The CAS option sits alongside FSR/NIS in the menu

10. glenharrison8

glenharrison8 New Member

Thanks, I'll try it. Have a feeling it's either FSR/NI or CAS and I had planned on using NI at 90% or so

11. Wilfred de Ruijter

I tried most settings in the Control Panel of nVidia. But, indeed, I have them as default as well.
    In AMS2 I have MSAA off, but at Post AA I have MSAA high. This way the nVidia driver does something to get a better image and then within AMS2 the post AA makes it better.
    The sharpening I adjust in the graphicsdx11.xml file (SharpeningStrength, SharpeningClamp and BiasOffset).

12. glenharrison8

glenharrison8 New Member

OK, I'll try that. The settings I use are pretty damn good, but always looking to improve.

What have you decided on for (SharpeningStrength, SharpeningClamp and BiasOffset)?

13. glenharrison8

glenharrison8 New Member

so for me, using anything other than full MSAA on high gives far too much shimmering on the grandstands. I've tried switching to post AA SMAA High and it's just nowhere near as good, unless there are other settings needed?

14. Gazzawesty

Gazzawesty Skunkedup AMS2 Club Member

Same here. It's a setting I can't sacrifice or the image just looks horrible.

15. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Advanced Casual Sim Driver AMS2 Club Member

Good old MSAA works really well in daytime. But with lots of hard contrast light sources in the dark there's still some aliasing visible. Some more modern anti aliasing methods like DLAA could improve this a lot.

DLSS 2.x/FSR 2.x both work great as well on 2d screens, but i haven't seen any vr games with well implemented DLSS 2.x/FSR 2.x. TAA looks smooth as well, but requires a bit of supersampling to not look blurry (not very performance friendly).

SMAA and FXAA never worked well for me. They blur the image, but there's still a lot of aliasing visible.

16. Wilfred de Ruijter

I think I have to go back to the nVidia control panel, trying to get rid of the blur.

17. Wilfred de Ruijter

After testing for over a month trying to find the right settings I swapped the Streaming Assistant for Virtual Desktop. Immediately I got a much better picture. Still some shimmering, but in cockpit view it looks almost like an image of a (1080p) monitor. SA nemer came close to this quality.

18. jtortosen

jtortosen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Anything new on quest 2 side since last year?

19. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Still the same quest, still the same AMS 2

Not sure what you expect?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. jtortosen

jtortosen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Tools for better performance as vperfkit or openxrtoolkit (not compatible with oculus sdk + ams2, only with steamvr but then oculus sdk starts and performance goes to ****).