1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

hello very new QUEST2 owner here.

I do use opencomposite and launching Game from Steam as oculusVR kicks in OpenXR from what I can tell (see screenshot below)
    I don't think I made any other step to get it working
    but again I am new and still learning especially about OpenXR optimization so dont take my words for fully granted

[​IMG]

2. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Oculus users can’t use OpenXR with AMS2.

You have to use opencomposite, which requires the game to launch in SteamVR mode at which point opencomposite intercepts the calls and bypasses SteamVR to use OpenXR.

Currently, it doesn’t matter what you launch with in AMS2, it will always launch via the Oculus sdk.

I’ve asked everywhere on every part of the forum and even in discord, but no one will even reply, acknowledge or accept the launch options don’t work as they should.

It’s not even a case of priorities, there just appears to be zero support for VR issues so the problem is simply being ignored.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SimRacingJunckie

SimRacingJunckie New Member

I got a reply from a youtuber + a confirmation from discord that it doesn't work with AMS2 (like you said it will always launch the Oculus SDK. I got eye tracking working via Open composite and SteamVR with ACC and it helps quite a bit and I was hoping to do the same with AMS2 so I could drive at night in VR with some good framerates.

4. sndb

sndb New Member

Yeah, Q2 owner here, so (fortunately?) I am not suffering the frustrations of broken eye tracking functionality. However, of all the various old mixed reports from other Oculus owners I've seen a handful of them that state they were able to leverage the OpenXR toolkit's options to produce visual quality equivalent to modestly improved over running via native Oculus API, but with significantly better framerate/less taxing on GPU.

Since I'm wringing every little drop of performance I can get a 5700XT Nitro+, I've been wanting to do some testing firsthand, but I found the same you did--virtually zero chatter, discussion, or acknowledgement of the particular game launch behavior and its impact on Oculus+AMS2 users trying to leverage OpenComposite--much less any progress on a workaround or proper fix. Apparently the number of Oculus users trying to use straight OpenXR is a statistically insignificant minority. EIther that, or most of them think AMS2 is working just fine with OpenComposite simply because SteamVR doesn't open when they fire up the game...

At this point I'd be thrilled just to see Oculus Tray Tool updated to fix the ability to create (Air) Link profiles and maybe even get the game library feature to stop crashing the program.

5. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

OK so I am a newbie in VR using QUEST2 for just few weeks as I mentioned in my post above
    so even if I have Opencomposite, set, you mean it doesn't kick in OpenXR?
    I am launching the Game from Steam with either STEAMVR or OCULUSVR option and from what I can tell gives me very similar results.

I haven't tried it yet to optimize my Gaming experience but this guys claiming OPENXR actually works and is able to improve the Game clarity and perf with OPENXR Tools

I am confused now

6. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I can be confusing as there are concepts and terminology you need to understand. Please read this to try and get an understanding of what OpenComposite does.
    OpenComposite
    The video you linked shows a user with a HP Reverb G2, not a Quest 2.
    The screenshot in your earlier post of OpenXR Tools for WMR is of no use to you as it's for WMR headsets like the Reverb G2. You have a Quest. Your equivalent is the Oculus/Meta software.

7. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

I certainly did prior installing Opencomposite on my machine and don't see any difference between WMR and Oculus headset in their Github

upload_2023-4-23_11-47-14.png

so is the conclusion for now that MAS2 can not leverage OpenXR features for us Quest2 users?

8. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Ok, if you'd read a little further, down to the Game Compatibility section, you'd have seen this :)

[8] Automobilista 2 forces usage of Oculus mode when an Oculus device is detected, and will not allow use of OpenComposite/OpenXR Toolkit.

9. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

:oops:and I swear I am no GenZ, far from that age actually:D, who are a bit inclined to very much read transversally what's thrown at them;)
    thanks again, moving on then and will use what's standard for my QUEST2

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I updated OpenComposite and now AMS2 doesn't work...I'd recommend not updating if you have a working version. I'll just have to keep an eye out for more updates.

11. alphazex

alphazex New Member

Reddit - Dive into anything

use win7 compatibility mode and it will launch into steam vr

12. TheMattyOnline

This doesn’t work unfortunately. Tried ages ago.

13. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Have I completely missed something with Open XR with Oculus headsets?
    Is it a significant improvement over using the native Oculus api?

14. TheMattyOnline

In AMS2 no, it doesn’t work. Posted everywhere politely and otherwise to a wall of silence from the entire Reiza team.

Using an Oculus headset through SteamVR is always poor. Using an Oculus through OpenXR is a vast improvement and also allows other tools to be used like the OpenXR toolkit.

We can’t do any of this in AMS2 as the launch options don’t work correctly. We need to be able to launch through SteamVR to get OpenXR to work, but there is no way to achieve this as no matter what launch option you use, an Oculus headset will only allow the Oculus launch option to run.

It’s broken, and there is no engagement from anyone at Reiza to even acknowledge this.

15. TheMattyOnline

To be clear, I know we can use the Oculus launch, and the performance is decent.
    But to use other tools that can be really useful in VR, I’d like to be able to use the OpenXR toolkit. This needs the SteamVR launch to work on an Oculus headset.

16. alphazex

alphazex New Member

I use openXR on my occulus. I use the standalone openxr.dll drop it in x64 folder in ams2, and then through occulus link start up steamVR. Then launch automobilista through the desktop under steamvr and openxr hooks into it and you get all the fun of openxr tool kit. The only issue I had was resovled as stated by using windows 7 compat mode.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
  17. TheMattyOnline

Yes, this is a workaround and I’ve also tried this. But it isn’t the whole answer, as al you are doing is running OpenXR runtime through SteamVR and thus still having to use SteamVR.
    What I’d like to do is bypass SteamVR completely using OpenXR runtime that Oculus supports.
    But this is not achievable currently as there is no way to launch into SteamVR/OpenXR with an Oculus headset. You should be able to do this, but it’s broken/not functional for some reason that not one member of Reiza has the time to post about.

18. Sparviero

Sparviero Member

Hi, I've got an issue with my Quest 2 recenlty buyed with a 4080. I'm not new to VR (previously RiftS+2080) and long term PC2 and AMS2 player, however this problem is strange to me. First, let me say that I've no problem with other VR games (eg. DCS, a very heavy sim).

AMS2 (or PC2) runs great but after some time of playing, fps drops sometimes and lag cames, it seems time-related. I though about a pc problem (eg. antivirus) but as I said it seems limited to AMS2. If I turn of the PC and restart everything, it goes well: sometime I can complete 1h race without big problems, sometime I got stuttering after 20min... I thought something related to quest2, but I really no idea.
    Thanks for help.

19. Sparviero

Sparviero Member

Update: I manage to set 90 hz (instead of stock 72 hz) + ASW and I really find it very smooth, without detrimental perfomance afer 2+ hrs of playing. However, I really don't understand how perfomance headroom works, because I have always 45 fps (as expected due to 90 hz+ASW) with negative headroom but it run great (even with -50/-70% headroom). With my previous confing, the negative headroom impacted negatively on fps (not stable 45 fps and stuttering) but now I don't see that problem now... do you know why?

20. A.F.K DaN

A.F.K DaN Member AMS2 Club Member

Think I've finally fixed my issue.
    Had to revert from Opencomposite (OpenXR) back to SteamVR. OXR did cause a CPU bottleneck which is now not an issue anymore with SteamVR.