1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

OpenXR, OpenVR and OVR are APIs - the languages the game can use to drive VR. Simplistically, OpenComposite translates from OpenVR to OpenXR. There is a fair amount of terminology involved here, so people do get confused or abbreviate things. The first link I gave you gives a good description of how these various things work together.
    When you read it, you'll see that OpenComposite works by tricking the game into thinking it's running with SteamVR/OpenVR, so something like that xml file will still work.
    What won't work are SteamVR specific overlay apps, but that's covered in the article too.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

I'm so sorry I'm filled with questions. I did read it but, it just opens more questions. So, it really is game dependent whether Open Composite is needed in order to bypass SteamVR. Some games with OpenXR support, like Flight Simulator, skip Steam VR. Is AMS2 like DirtRally, where it would go through SteamVR, where it doesn't have OpenXR support? So it would need OpenComposite?

Is that what you'd recommend? Or is just OpenXR all I need, and have it run through the WMR Runtime.

3. MickT

That's right.
    Some games, like MSFS or iRacing, already support OpenXR directly, so no need for OpenComposite. Most though, do not, and that's where OpenComposite comes in.
    Ideally, more game devs should implement OpenXR directly, so we don't need 'hacks' like OpenComposite.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. wickfut

wickfut Member

I think I've just wrote you a lengthy reply on Reddit.
    You can select which titles load into OpenXR in the config tab. I usually just disable it though in the Toolkit companion and switch to SteamVR in Open Composite to make sure. You'll get little white pop up boxes telling you something has broken in OpenXR if you try and run SteamVR with OpenXR enabled and vice versa.

5. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I really wish Renato/Reiza would look into further optimisation of this Sim, for years now my FPS grinds to a halt under Overcast skies for whatever reason (even using OpenXR Toolkit) and Visible Vehicles needs adding, there is no need to render 29 AI on the track all at once, give us the Option to lower than number to save on performance please.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. JavierZumaeta

Hi!

A few more questions. So sorry. I did get the game to launch using what I think is OpenComposite/OpenXR - I am launching the game using my old steamVR shortcut - it does work - tho if there's an option to launch from WMR, so I can confirm OpenXR is working, I think might prefer that? Oddly, when I launch, Steam gives me a warning that AMS2 doesn't support the headset and if I want to launch anyway - I do and it works. Hm.

I did note, I don't have the graphicsconfigopenvrdx11.xml file though, which is discouraging. Also, does anyone know how to turn off AWS? the missing frames functionality? It's quite bothersome...

7. MickT

Most reliable way to work out if it's using OpenComposite and which OpenXR runtime it's using is to look in the log file located in:
    %localappdata%\OpenComposite\logs
    If there's no file or the timestamps look out of date, you haven't been using it.
    Can you post the command line you were using?

8. wickfut

wickfut Member

Why don't you just launch it from inside the headset WMR home with a mouse or xbox controller?
    Put headset on. Press one button on the game icon. Game auto runs OpenXR and starts the game. No messing around.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
  9. JavierZumaeta

well, I would, but I have no idea where it would be in the WMR home. I see a bunch of demos, the windows store, idk. maybe I need to find a Steam app for WMR? it'll list all the games I have on Steam?

10. wickfut

wickfut Member

In VR press your WMR controller/xbox controller menu button and you'll get a pop up box showing a list of installed apps/games. When you click the icon for AMS2 it'll put a AMS2 VR icon inside your little home.
    Once that's done, everytime you want to play you just put the headset on and click the icon and the game will run. WMR gets a really bad rap which I don't understand. It's never caused me a problem and I've had 4x WMR headsets.

Also, It's better if you change the VR house/home page to the simple empty grey space. You do this with one of the top icons on the little pop up I mentioned earlier.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  11. wickfut

wickfut Member

NVM fixed it myself.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2023
  12. Mecky79

Mecky79 New Member AMS2 Club Member

I've had my first VR headset, the Pico 4, for 6 days now. The feeling when driving is indescribably good. Now you can really say you're sitting in a racing car. The game is also a bomb in terms of performance. Only thing I would wish for in VR. The TV cameras switch over in the repetition, I'm always standing statically at one point on the start/finish line. I would also like to see a pit board displayed after each lap, like the old GTR parts. Round X from Y and Distance Front and Back.

• Like Like x 2
  13. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Afaik you can assign "switch to next camera" in the control options.

14. neal

neal Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I've had mine a couple of days now too, only tried it a bit so far as I've been messing around trying to work out navigation with it, for Steam based PC games, being AMS2 and AC. AC is a pain as I can use the PICO in single player but not multi, and I have organised racing on AC. On AMS2 I find a couple of problems,
    1. how to get the steam launcher to show in the PICO.
    2. main problem is in the very center of my view it is blurry for cars that are not close to me. I have no idea what settings to use so they are unchanged so far. I've been running a 4K monitor on mid settings and it's been good, so hoping for similar with the PICO.

15. neal

neal Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I just got the PICO 4 and I've no idea how to refine my visuals. I'm pretty useless with this stuff so can't even find a way to run AMS2 from VD. If you could help I'd really appreciate it but you should assume I know nothing. sorry.

16. wickfut

wickfut Member

You press the furthest left button on the left controller and a SteamVR menu will appear with your games on.
    It's best you use Pico4 Virtual Desktop though, it's a better image quality but you trade extra latency.

Yeah. You're stretching a 2kx2k screen image over your entire field of view. The PPD inside the Pico headset is a little lower than using a 32" 720p monitor.
    In the game VR menu see if you can push up the Supersampling slider. Also MSAA helps a lot.
    SteamVR 100% scaling should be around 3100x3100 per eye resolution.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

NB! Anyone who is running HP Reverb G2 headset, read this for future!!

TLDR: when your headset starts failing, its probably your cable. Drop the frame rate to 60Hz in Windows Mixed Reality Portal so you can still run it and order a new 6 meter cable from Amazon HP store ASAP.

I run my headset almost completely seated in racing sims. After 2.5 years of use all of a sudden the headset started getting visual noise in some small parts (like analog "snow"-like noise) and I started experiencing random blackouts for a few seconds.

This was due to the box in the cables becoming faulty. I was able to turn down the frame rate from 90 Hz to 60 Hz in Windows Mixed Reality and continue using it, but it was quite strainful for the eyes and I don't recommend for anyone medium to long term to use at 60 Hz. I used it like that for a week until a new cable arrived (NB! make sure you order 6 meter long, not 1 meter long by mistake). I ordered the new cable from Amazon HP store and it took ca 5 days to arrive. The new cable has a bigger box and an ON/OFF button.

I hope this helps if you all of a sudden start having this issue and wondering what went wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Temougyn

Temougyn New Member

ciao. Avevi sicuramente il cavo versione 1, che ha dato problemi a parecchie personeā€¦ hp lo sostituiva in garanzia gratuitamente dandoti il cavo nuovo versione 2. Quella che le hai tu con il pulsante on off sulla scatola.

19. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks. I was out of warranty and I honestly could not have waited for any warranty process.

20. Dmand

Dmand Active Member

hahahahaha, thats great.
    I love VR.
    Not that anyone probably cares but VR has been a dream come true for me. Growing up, all my friends were getting their drivers license and having fun in their crappy cars while i was stuck in the passenger seat wishing i could drive.

For some reason, the state would not give me a license, pretty sure it is because i am legally blind, hmm go figure.

Sure, its not the same as real life driving, but it puts me in the cockpit and now i crave more and more immersion.

Took me a long time to save up for a PC and VR headset + awesome DD wheel.
    A motion rig is all i need now. Some day, somehow I will get one

• Friendly Friendly x 5