1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. BistoKid

BistoKid Active Member

I had a look tonight but see no change. I can move the upper most details but anything at the base of the screen is inaccessible.

I am on Quest 2 so are you suggesting I increase my resolution, as I am already at the highest it allows in Oculus app?

2. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Well that’s weird, I’m on a Quest 2 also and I only have the render resolution set about halfway(I forget the actual number as I’m not near my PC), and there’s no longer that disconnect between the two vertical planes, where the actual and visual grab points of an element got further away, the further you got away from the extreme left side of the monitor screen.

3. BistoKid

BistoKid Active Member

Hey Gregz
    Just can’t get my head around it. Like you say, there is a visual point with a grab point south west of the visual. So, whilst I can move the upper left and upper centre panels, I am unable to get to anything in the lower half of my headset/monitor.
    For me at least it is well and truly broken, unless there is a setting I am missing or not set correctly.
    Thanks all the same.

4. GregzVR

Yeah, I have no idea why it's now working for me, as I didn't do anything from when I last played AMS2 a couple of months ago.
    Maybe it's written deep within the last major updates release notes as a 'minor' fix or something, and I have no idea why it's not working for you. Perplexing.

5. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

It always was mission impossible to me, and the last update was the same. Only reliable way I found to set the HUD to my liking was by plugging in a xbox controller and use it to change the HUD, so if you have some sort of PC controller, try with that. Once you realized the button mappings it's really an easy trask.

6. Majak

Majak New Member AMS2 Club Member

Now with the today released Virtual Desktop 1.29.7 I do recommend giving the OpenComposite + VDXR combo a try again. With my Quest 3 + Radeon 6900 XT @ 23.11.1 driver @ HEVC 10-bit I'm getting better performance with this combo than with vrperfkit.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. GogglesPaesano

GogglesPaesano Member AMS2 Club Member

I believe the desktop screen resolution needs to be set at minimum of 1080 for the HUD adjustability to be proper in VR.

8. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Wait
    I thought that Meta with the latest v59app update broke the use of opencomposite
    There are plenty of posts on discord reddit etcto co dirm this
    I myself cant launch any Simusing opencomposite

Can you confirm how you get it working?

9. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

10. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Not AMS2 related, but I couldn't get DR2 or AC to launch in OpenComposite either after the last meta update. I might try beta again

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. BistoKid

BistoKid Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion, will see if I can find something but been many years since I was on console.

12. BistoKid

BistoKid Active Member

Hmm… will confirm tonight when I get a chance. Thank you.

13. Majak

Majak New Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not aware of any such problems, maybe cause I'm new to Meta (used Reverb G2 in the past). At my end the combo "Quest 3 @ Firmware v59 + OpenComposite + OpenXR Tookit + Virtual Desktop 1.29.7 @ VDXR" is working like a charm.

Not sure why other people are struggling getting it working, I'll try to summarize the environment at my end (potentially not all points do matter, but that's what I have):

1. From my Reverb G2 times I have an OpenComposite.ini in my "steamapps\common\Automobilista 2\x64"-folder with content:
    admitUnknownProps=true
    2. I replaced the original openvr_api.dll (~238 KB) inside that x64-folder with its OpenComposite counterpart (~1851 KB).
    3. Oculus app is installed, but "Oculus OpenXR" is NOT my active Runtime. SteamVR + VirtualDesktopXR are active. VDXR is selected as "OpenXR Runtime" in the VD Streamer.
    4. I'm launching AMS2 from Games inside VD App or via Desktop shortcut of the SteamVR version (steam://launch/1066890/vr) after VD App is up and connected to my PC. I'm not launching AMS2 from SteamVR.

With those steps, when displaying the VD Performance overlay it shows "VDXR" as runtime and that is noticably faster than the "SteamVR" runtime.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BistoKid

BistoKid Active Member

Well I found an old controller and lo and behold it worked. Wish I had have known twelve months ago Thanks m8

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Wow
    Thanks very much for the details

I hadn’t seen anywhere yet that this opencomposite drama was not affecting VD users

again much appreciated the heads up

ps this drama has forced me to launch the game with oculusvr instead of steam VR and I don’t know if that’s a placebo but it runs quite smooth and perfect are also good

16. BrassYeti

BrassYeti New Member

I recently upgraded from a 5600x to a 5600x3d and I did some quick benchmarking before and after the install.

Headset: Quest 3
    72 FPS with max super sampling Oculus will allow
    Full grid against AI at Spa in the daytime, each "block" is 2 laps. Each cpu has 4 laps of data.

I am still GPU Limited with my current settings with maybe a 5% performance headroom according to the Oculus overlay with both headsets, but the 5600x3d definitely smoothed out the game for me. A lot fewer stutters which you can see from the frame time graph.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

VDXR only a couple of weeks old, but doesn't help with my Rift S unfortunately

18. Steve D

Steve D New Member

I've been away from AMS2 for a few months. Just jumped back in, strapped on the Index, launched a race and the framerate absolutely tanked as soon as I got to the pre-race start menu. Same when I started the race. Performance was perfect beforehand. The sim is updated and Steam / Steam VR are up-to-date and I've chanched nothing in the SteamVR video and application settings which remain as I last had them. I haven't updated the NV driver yet (3090 series) as I've no issues elsewhere. Before I start going down a rabbit hole, has anything untoward happened with regards AMS2's VR performance of late, that I need to be aware of?

Many thanks.

19. BistoKid

BistoKid Active Member

Coming from Quest 2 I can’t say I have experienced anything untoward. I have been tweaking more recently my VR setttings but nothing out of the ordinary other than using VRPerfKit.
    Maybe some others feel differently.

20. GregzVR

WELL, I take this all back, because I just happened to 'update' my NVIDIA drivers(as you do), and My HUD customisation has now returned to the broken state it was two months ago, lol. o_O

I used the gamepad controller method to get most of it back, but the desktop instruments HUD is now much larger than it was. Editing the size of this nearest pane in VR, also doesn't translate to the monitor desktop. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2023