VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. LostPatrol

LostPatrol Member

I can’t say I have noticed any change in performance since the release. I’m on a Quest 3, 3080 10 gig and 5800x3d, 32 gig of RAM and I just run the Oculus version from Steam.

I’ve got the encoding set to 500 in Oculus Tray tool and I run 0.8 on horizontal and vertical for the FOV tangent multiplier. That does give a slight letterboxing on the vertical but when driving you don’t notice it.

The only real stutter I get is one that I’ve also had at various times playing flat screen where a car turning in front of you seems to skip a frame or two.

Running with the performance display on in VR this seems to correspond with random spikes in the game that doesn’t seem to really correspond with something particularly heavy happening on screen. I think it’s a game engine issue that is more obvious the closer you get to the limits of your hardware.

I got rid of it in flat screen mode by dropping down from everything on Max in 4k to 1440p with some supersampling and the game looks pretty much the same. Unfortunately in VR you don’t have that much headroom to play with. I could lower a bunch of settings to deal withe the occasional spike but I’d get a worse image for something I only notice a few times a lap.

2. Brendan H

Brendan H New Member

Sorry if this is a noob error, but I'm new to AMS2 and I'm trying to get it running on my Varjo Aero using OpenXR through OpenComposite. I'm using OpenXR without issue in iRacing so I'm confident the OpenXR installation is at least OK.

I installed the latest OpenComposite and ran it, allowing the DLLs to install. I then use it to switch to OpenXR runtime and tried to launch AMS2 through Steam using SteamVR as the popup choice. Is that correct?

Anyway, I'm getting a popup error with the following:

"OpenComposite DLLMain ERROR: Cannot init VR: unsupported apptype 0"

AMS2 does not launch.

Can someone please point me in the right direction here? Much appreciated!

Attached Files:

3. CaptainPeanut

CaptainPeanut New Member

Can the helmet overlay please be altered slightly so that it provides better visibility when playing in VR?

I love the idea of actually seeing your helmet in-game, especially because the overlay actually bounces around and visibly has the the sun shining into it and casting shadows - but the one we have in the game currently feels like you are wearing a mediaeval knights helmet because of how incredibly narrow the opening in the helmet is.

So basically I would love for the current helmet overlay to be edited slightly for VR players to simply make the opening larger.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Exorbit

Exorbit New Member

Just my 2 cents. But given that some people don't have issues and some other do, might it be driver related? I know I have issue with th latest drivers in Blender for example.

5. Exorbit

Exorbit New Member

I tried several different drivers, and no joy. Anyway, it sounds like I became a lot more CPU bound than before the update. Even with a low number of opponent cars.

6. Colin Wright

Colin Wright New Member

I rolled back to a previous driver, still getting frame drops into the mid eighties on Montreal where l was comfortably over ninety, something has changed in this update for the worse rtx 4090 pimax crystal

Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
  7. LooseyMoosey

LooseyMoosey Member

I'm with you on this one. I'm definitely getting some performance dips since the update.

8. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

for me its more stutters that have appeared. but in the same time,I am testing a new PICO headset so it might be related.

will revert back to my Q2 later today as it was driving AMS2 at high resolution/graphics like a champ, with the help of an RTX3080 and 5800x3D that is

that's what I get with the PICO, ruining the VR experience right now

[​IMG]

9. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

I’m using a Quest 2, Wired Link at 90Hz, 1.0x rendering in the Oculus PC app.
    Oculus launch option in Steam.
    Medium MSAA, high car & track details(going higher yields diminished returns).

I encounter no issues. I would push things slightly higher, if I had a separate capture PC to take the recording strain away completely, but I need any overhead to account for that too.

10. RaptorNL

RaptorNL New Member AMS2 Club Member

I did not have the spray clipping befor but I have it since the last update. Also some of the smoke from campfires and some of the smoke from cars but not all. is clipping through the map, cars and helmet. There was already a lot clipping through the helmet like frontscreen of almost every F1 car and with the F1 Reiza you see all the buttons of your wheel through the helmet. But the new spray and smoke has priority since it is unplayable in the rain now and I realy like to do it.

11. DayrFile

DayrFile Member

Just wanted to share a recent technical experience, regarding vr.
    I have a g2 and a 4070ti and was exclusively using openxr with some additional tuning such as reduced vertical FoV, 3000pixel resolution, FSR, foveated rendering with a single 55% ring, 1/16 outside - targeting the 90+ hz + some headroom.
    The result was that I got a very pleasing performance and (by no other sim matched) visuals with AMS2 during my daylight races - and unmatched to any other setup I tried, also the one I will describe below.
    Ams2 internal graphics setup was only moderate, e.g. no shadows, no grass, particles low etc., but, MSAA 2x, because I'm personally sensitive to staircasing in the distance.
    All good so far, however, doing a Fiat Uno 24h Norschleife in 30min emulated time accel., the fps dropped immediatly as the dark was close (headlights from behind, as mentioned very often as a performance impact in this very forum). The fps impact is leading to stuttering and makes it to me undriveable (note, also very personal as all the stuff in vr), so giving up on the night races ...., or endurance in vr.
    Having bad experience with reprojection in my first vr-days (1.5 years ago), for unknown reason, I switched to steamvr + reprojection today (really activated only in the thirdparty/wmr??64.exe as "motion vector" or "auto"). Suddenly I could stutterlyfree drive my test case, the night in the Nordschleife with 10+ cars behind. I notice a bit less clarity as in openxr, and minor artefacts (can really live with them) at very certain times at very certain edges - but it was smooth, … in the night, … all the headlights pointing at me :)
    To conclude: it cannot match my openxr setup during the day (also during the day it's slower and not that high fidelity clearness), but this simple steamvr setup almost doesn't distinguish between day and night (I had even the feeling that during the day the motion reprojection was triggered). At the end, it was my first vr 24h race and it was great.
    Maybe give it a try with your hardware.
    Off-topic: I like really the new patches, a few more AI fine-tuning, and it's my dream of a racing experience (note, I recognize the effort in the implementation of a perfect AI race grid even more than a stable multiplayer code, which - of course - also not easy, but it was done already :) ). Appreciating myself the multiplayer experience, just wanted to praise the AI devs a bit :)

Greetings

• Like Like x 1
  12. mildew

mildew New Member

13. Exorbit

Exorbit New Member

still on 22h2

14. mac2

mac2 New Member

just gave AMS2 a try with my pimax crystal in VR - (using steam vr) and my settings are mostly high (running a 7950x3d and 4090) - however I seem to be getting around 80-90fps depending on the situation and it does not really feel smooth with a bit of stutters - is anyone able to suggest some settings to tweak in order to hit 90fps and also to improve smoothness? (in 2d AMS2 feels amazingly smooth and fps is around 180)

15. wickfut

wickfut Member

Set
    SteamVR resolution scale to 100% (4300x5120)
    game settings:
    MSAA to low.
    Car detail to high, track detail to medium
    everything else set to low or medium.
    If you have the sharpening enabled in the text file then turn it back to 0
    I ran it fine 90fps.
    If you get dips then gradually lower the SteamVR resolution.

I ran with different settings on this video. Lower SteamVR resolution but enabled the sharpening. As you can see, stable 90fps.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  16. mac2

mac2 New Member

thanks for the reply couple of questions:
    1)can see your suggesting starting with a res of 4300x but in the video you seem to be using x3820 is this where you ended up with the resolution in order to get 90 fps?
    2)did you try with the new 72hz setting yet? (not updated my crystal yet but will try when I update it - seems it might be a solution to reduce the stuttering as I always get 80fps +)
    3)note you refer to a text file - have not touched this and was unaware it was an option - can you explain more about where this file and where its located and how it can be tweaked?
    4)what car are you using in the video?

17. wickfut

wickfut Member

1, I did the video with those 3820x settings then the following day managed to get it stable running at 100% steamVR resolution of 4300x5120. I think I may have used OpenXR too. Had FFR set to 85%.
    2. I tried it , it was ok. A little more juddery as you turn the corners but other than that it's not noticeable. I could get used to it I guess if I was forced to.
    3. The text file is in C:\Users\[name]\Documents\Automobilista 2
    It's called graphicsconfigopenvrdx11. You need to change a line near the bottom.
    <prop name="SharpeningStrength" sharpeningstrength="0.000000" />

Change the value of 0.000 to whatever. I set it to 0.5 when I use it. The video above it was set to 1.5, which is why it looks over sharp,

4. The car was a Mercedes CLK-LM GT1 car.

I don't have the Crystal any more. I couldn't get it to a place where I was 100% happy with it. It caused a lot of eye strain, audio was messed up, eye tracking stopped working, lens focus felt like was like I was wearing incorrect prescription glasses etc . I returned it and went with a Varjo Aero.

One last thing. Go in your NVidia control panel and the in "manage 3D settings" go to your AMS2 profile.
    Change it to this, it blurs out the slightly jagged aliasing on distant objects. You can increase the blur with the Aliasing amount.

Get a program called fpsVR and have it running showing the little graphic monitor on the headset. for 90fps you need to have a frame time under 11ms, preferably around 9ms just to be safe. fpsVR will show you how close you are to meeting the 11ms target and you can make better tweaks with settings if you're just slightly over.
    I found all the sun rays, MSAA and reflections all use a fair chunk of FPS if you need to trim a little.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
  18. mac2

mac2 New Member

thanks for the update:
    1)will try some of the tweaks - in terms of the file will try adding the sharpening and see if it helps - any other file lines I should look to change? - note if you were using openXR I believe there is a sharpening option included (but I rarely use as it impacts fps.....)
    2)interested that U used the openXR - note I have this installed already (with the quad view FFR) for use with MSFS and DCS with amazing results - but thought you had to use steam VR with AMS2 - how do you get it working with AMS2 - do u simply not start steamVR and have openXR running when you enter AMS2 in VR mode or do I need to tweak something else? (note I read something about open composite being required to use open XR - is this another app to get openXR running with AMS2 as I dont need it for openXR in DCS and MSFS)?
    3)open XR seems to have a lock 1/2 frame rate (45) which I use with DCS and MSFS assume this should work with AAMS2?
    4) in the nvidia settings which ones are you actually tweaking from default?(could not see from the screen)
    5)sorry to hear you gave up on the crystal I almost got the aero but went for the crystal and for MSFS and DCS using openXR its amazing (but it had to be tweaked) and needs the hardware (running a 7950x3d and 4090) - have to say with AMS2 been disappointed so far but mainly because I can't get it to run smooth and hit the 90fps will try some of the tweaks....

19. wickfut

wickfut Member

1. That's what I'm saying. Sharpening took away a fair chunk of FPS. When I removed it I hit 90fps stable.
    2. I don't play flight sims. Never used Quad view etc.
    3. Never tried. If you use OpenXR toolkit and OpenComposite and access the GUI you can do most things.
    4. It's a thumbnail. you need to click it to enlarge it. The altered lines are in bold
    5.I gave it a good go, twice. It's not for me. I prefer the Aero.

20. mac2

mac2 New Member

thanks will give it a try.......
    out of interest what's the benefit if using openxr/composite over steam VR?(rather not move across if there is no clear advantage)