1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I recently changed my G2 to a quest pro and have honestly been blown away by the quality using link. Not as sharp but the edge to edge clarity is superb. It's even better now after the v60 update.
    I'm using the same openxr toolkit dll in the x64 folder so steamvr doesn't open but can't get the toolkit menu to show so I guess it doesn't work on quest.
    I'm amazed.. 72 fps in any conditions with better visuals.

2. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

I literally bought a 2nd hand QPRO last night in addition to the Q2 I have owned for a year to use for PCVR

Especially sims like AMS2 and your post makes me confident further it is a good decision
    I am testing Pico headsets in parallel but they have flaws so hopefully the QPRO will deliver as per the expectation

Regarding ANS2 you can’t run openxr using conventional opencomposite way

but I found out recently that you can get all the advantages of openxr by using VIRTUAL DESKTOP and it’s VDXR runtime add on so I will certainly do that after receiving the QPRO
    stay tuned

• Like Like x 1
  3. Snowy

Snowy New Member

Just want to say thank you for a great VR experience, straight out of the box with no endless tweeking required. Automobilista 2 in my Varjo Aero is probably the best VR experience I have had to date. Thank you Reiza!

• Like Like x 1
  4. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Well, this is weird. I just bought a Quest 3. Previously had (still have) a Vive Pro. I had setup AMS2 to use OpenComposite/OpenXR toolkit with my Vive pro using Game specific dll. I had various FFR settings in OXRTK etc as well as the FPS display.

I now installed the Quest 3, set Oculus to be default OpenXR software when asked.

I then ran AMS2 (select Oculus VR option - not SteamVR) via Oculus Link (I have full 2.5gbs tested throughput via USB 3.2 cable, set 940mbs rate via Debug tool) expecting the OXRTK to not be available but I could see the FPS OXRTK display. So, hit Ctl-F2 and this opened the menu and everything seems to work. The FPS is being reported by OXRTK etc. I didn't do anything special at all but it all seems to work as expected (I say expected, but I thought OXRTK/OpenComposite wasn't supposed to work with Meta headsets but its working with my new Quest 3).

Anyway, just reporting as I didn't do anything special so no point asking what I did to get it to work as I didn't do anything. It just works :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Hello, running Quest 3, link cable, 3060Ti , Ryzen 7 3800x and 64gb Ram.
    Previously i used an Oculus Rift S and was able to have graphics at Medium, Anti-Alliassing to High and 1.4 pixel density.

Now with the Quest 3 i seem to struggle at 72hz mode, at the base 1.0 Quest 3 resolution, low graphics, 350 bitrate ... am i doing something wrong with the settings that can be causing this low performance ? Or anyone got any tips what they are using on the same / similar setup as mine ?

Thank you for any help.

6. Bernd18995

Bernd18995 Member

The Rift S has much lower resolution compared to the quest 3.
    Total Pixel per eye of 1.843.200 compared to the 4.557.312 per eye of the quest 3.
    If you multiply quest 3 by two, you are rendering about a million more pixels with a 1.0 ratio than with a typical 4k display or tv. Performance Wise the 60 class of cards isn't really aimed at such high resolutions, the 80 or 90 series would be a better fit there.

Not too much you can do there, besides decreasing resolution below native and upscale it by using f.e. the open xr toolkit or enabling asynchronous space warp or whatever its called. This basically inserts generated frames in between, which halves the real framerate - some persons are more sensitive to this kind of "fake frames" than others but might be worth a try.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Dmand

Dmand Active Member

I have recently been getting massive frame drops in AMS2 with a Quest 2 link cable.

It used to be smooth as butter for the most part. Now at random points around the track my frame rate feels like it gets cut to a third of what it was and stays there for a couple seconds.

It is not ASW kicking in because i usually leave that off for racing.

Anyone else getting bad frame drops recently?

8. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Just a follow up to my Quest 3 OpenXR Toolkit success I posted above. Today, it does not work. No sign of OXRTK despite every effort and yet yesterday it was working fine.

Bloody computers!!

Edit: As it turns out, don't need OXRTK anyway. Runs very well without any need for any FFR.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If anyone is on the fence about getting a quest 3 or pro, just do it. I have the pro and It is without doubt the best headset I have owned.Previous one was g2 and seeing the edge to edge clarity, smooth frame rates and colours just floored me.

10. TomLehockySVK

What are your PC specs ? Are you Airlink or Link Cable ?

11. Dmand

Dmand Active Member

I have been thinking about it but the Field of View is a bit of a turn off. The edge to edge clarity sounds nice though.

I have been using the old 64gb Quest 2 for a while. I would like to see what Valve is cooking up first before i make a decision.

Microsoft is discontinuing support and abandoning WMR, so it looks like mobile headsets are the future.

12. TomLehockySVK

Are mobile the future ? Bigscreen beyond is PCVR only. And i do not want mobile to be the future, screw these batteries that run out so quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bernd18995

Bernd18995 Member

Id answer that with a yes, there are already quite nice battery mods for headsets (bobovr) that basically enhance the battery life by like three times, cause the battery outcharges the consumption pretty much.

Also with no necessary cables you are very flexible to enjoy other games like Half Life Alyx f.e. in a way more immersive way, without hitting or beimg hit by cables etc

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TomLehockySVK

Weird but in over 4 years that i used a Rift S i never once had problems hitting or being tangled with my cable. And frankly i would take PCVR over mobile any time of the day. Having to pay extra money to get the battery where it should have been when you buy it is also awful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Cooknn

Cooknn Member

I’ve got a Bigscreen Beyond on order. Moving to that from a Varjo Aero. Those of us who’ve built gaming PC’s to work with our PCVR HMD’s probably won’t miss WMR. I won’t. I haven’t even thought about it for over a year. Not into mobile VR either. Can’t imagine I ever will be.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Curious to hear your views and real user experience on that headeset
    We have a popular YT simracing praising it but not sure it is reliable
    Thanks in advance

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Some call to PICO users here

I had used vrperfkit to improve performance with my Q2 and it was working well

Now I am testing 2 pico headsets in parallel the neo3 link and p4, i am curious to see what in game settings and also some extra tweaking in game file editing or 3rd party injected files people are using to improve fps without much picture quality deterioration

With the N3L I use the pico link streaming wired of course and no tweaking

With the p4 i went the VD route and pushing ULTRA and 150mbps bitrate in the app

Wondering what you guys do
    I have a rtx3080 and 5803d so decent rig here

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Cooknn

Cooknn Member

It’ll be March at the earliest before I see it. I’ll let you know when I do ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

patience is a virtue, virtue is a grace:D

no seriously, I hope it works out well for you. VR and Simracing is driving me nuts , in a good way, so upgrading path is not stopping anytime soon:p
    to the point that I haven't fired up my LG C2 OLED 48" TV for like 2weeks:oops:

• Like Like x 1
  20. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Morning, I'm on a pico 4 with a 6800xt, 13600k and 32gb. The 6800xt has a decent overclock on it and I've owned a 3080 previously so I would say they're pretty comparable performance wise.

I use a dedicated 5ghz router connected by Ethernet in the same room as my rig just for the headset. This definitely helps with overall latency/smoothness

I use VD to connect to my PC, h.264+ @ 300mbps. h.265 10-bit probably gives better results but the encoder on my GPU isn't crazy about in certain conditions. Your 3080 should be fine with it though. Also I set VDs sharpening around 30-40%

Generally I use the ultra preset. Godlike is possible in daytime dry conditions at 72fps, 90fps is possible too on a clear day with a single class. But I prefer to just stick with ultra. It allows me 90fps during the day and I can drop down to 72 at night or when raining.

I force VDXR in VD and and I use open composite to bypass steamvr. Granted this adds another translation layer into the render pipeline but regardless I get a noticeably smoother experience this way. I would suggest trying this as it should also allow you to use the openxr toolkit.

Because you have a 3080 you could then enable fixed foveated rendering in the toolkit to get a performance boost. I do not have this option.

In the Ams2 documents folder there is a file called something to the effect of graphicsconfigopenvrdx11 and at the bottom of that file there are two settings you should change. One called "SharpenStrength" I have this set to 0.6 more than that and the image becomes over sharp. And the other is "OffsetBias" which I set to 1.1 these too settings have a surprising effect on overall image quality.

As for in-game settings I use MSAA high in daytime and bump that down to Medium at night if dropping to 72fts isn't sufficient. Other that that I run a mix of high and medium settings for everything else. Except shadows I put this on low because counterintuitivly it's the best looking option in VR. You'll have to do a bit of tweaking here yourself to see what your comfortable quality wise but generally for me at least the game looks incredible. I've been using VR for a long time now, I've tried so many different headsets and really the P4 + AMS 2 is the first time where I've really been truly happy with the performance + image quality. I've heard good thinks about the neo link, dp is really nice to have for Sims even at a lower res. Will be curious to see which you settle on.

If you have any questions just shout.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1