1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

thanks a lot for the comprehensive answer, you are bringing some good confirmation of my own experience with AMS2, being VR app and in Game settings.

I did manage to get locked 90fps with the Q2 by using vrperfkit and indeed tweaking the foveated rendering and also resolution scale adjustment, in daylight, night and rain conditions.
    my RTX3080 is the 12gb model and luckily enough, I got a gold chip so its punching very close to a 3090 performance actually

I am OK to use the same principle with the PICOs but I think VDXR and openxrtoolkit would deliver a better output, on both fps and picture quality.

Quite honestly, I am ready to send back the P4 to Amazon and focus on my Neo3Link instead if this further testing is not successful.
    the picture quality is so good out of the box, if only they had made the facial interface more comfortable.
    thanks again for the quick feedback in any case

• Like Like x 1
  2. Strikkflypilot

Strikkflypilot New Member

A lot of users on the Varjo - AMS2 Discord are complaining about sparks in VR. They do not have the correct depth so they appear off. I believe most Varjo users, myself included are running with OpenXR Runtime in stead of the standard openvr.dll(steamVR) but I have been reported it is the same problem with SteamVR

Please fix this literally rather glaring issue.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Cooknn

Cooknn Member

I read that the sparks are only being projected to one eye in VR. Have not verified, but that would seem problematic o_O

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

They are rendered in one almost eye correctly(little off) and in the other eye ~20 meters away from the car. Something like that, so it completely ruins the immersion.

It's already clear that Reiza doesn't find a way to fix this within a reasonable timeframe(the issue is there since the launch). So my request to Reiza for VR users is that they give us an option to simply disable the sparks completely until they are fixed. If an game option is difficult then an *.bff / pakfile or something that creates 100% transparent sparks is also great as a temp solution as long as they are gone.

I still evade all the great classical Formula cars in this game because of this issue. So sad because it couldn't be THAT difficult to disable the sparks.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Strikkflypilot

Strikkflypilot New Member

Thats interesting. Is this forum read by devs?

6. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes for sure, but I think that this thread is less read then for example threads like "Automobilista 2 December 2023 Development Update". But the sparks have also already mentioned there by multiple VR users.

Reiza/Renato tries it's best to "fix" the sparks, I'm sure about that, but it seems that it simply cannot be done easilly, so in my opinion the only option is to disable them(at least until they are fixed), since it's already going on for years but we simply don't have the choice to do that...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Cooknn

Cooknn Member

I haven’t seen anything that says this was not addressed with the forthcoming enhancement to sparks. I’ll hold out hope that it was.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Quest 3 + Link Cable, RTX 3060 Ti 12 GB, Ryzer 7 3800x, 64 GB Ram.
    These are the settings i found to be the best.

Reducing vertical screen size to 0.5 but keeping horizontal to 1.0. Very important step was turning off ASW which for some reason was only causing microstutters. In-game graphical settings like Track Detail and Car Detail medium, AA set to MSAA Medium, everything else to Low. With a full starting grid the framerate will dip at the start of a race like it always does but afterwards the performance headroom will jump nicely between around 20% - 30%, and the experience is smooth.

Hopefully this will help someone who is struggling to find ideal settings on a 3060 Ti.
    46456475841.jpg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
  9. Dmand

Dmand Active Member

I sure hope not but that is the way the industry has been heading. I keep my Quest 2 plugged into my PC all the time with a link cable. I have never ran out of juice before my play session comes to a end. Used it for 4 hours straight the other day and still had about half battery life left.

PCVR is a afterthought or not even a thought at all for most VR developers now. Accept when it comes to sim racing and flying. PCVR really shines here and shows its true potential.

I'm not saying all future headsets will be Mobile. I doubt anyone can compete with Meta at this point and without the Meta store any other mobile headset will fail. I would much rather have a nice pure PCVR headset then a mobile one with compression.

As long as devs keep making racing sims and flight sims VR compatible, i'll be a happy camper.

Plus a surprise VR headset release every once in a while. C'mon Valve, pancake with large FoV

• Like Like x 1
  10. TomLehockySVK

I heard a good quote today: "If you only give people One option of course they will go towards only That option". Though plenty of people still want a proper PCVR headset, Bigscreen beyond is one example, Valve Index still being sold is another. I am really hoping Valve will make a new headset that is proper PCVR and not mobile.

11. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

The problem is the price. May be not a problem on niches like sim racing/flying where people spend lots of money on hardware, but for general VR use the Beyond/Index/Aero/Pimax entry price point is very high, that's why standalone, cheaper headsets are the preferred (and without the cost of a VR capable PC)

Like it or not, but PCVR entry price point needs to be much, much lower. Until that, standalone will surely still be gaining new users year after year, and with them, the software development.

I'm glad headsets like Quest/Pico exists because I can have PCVR for a really low entry cost. Granted the experience is not at the same level as a good PCVR only device, but I may say that for the price, it's really a very good experience indeed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TomLehockySVK

Nonsense as i bought the PCVR Rift S years ago for 490, while the Quest 3 now costs 650, not counting the cable and strap i had to buy on top ! PCVR used to be much cheaper.

13. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Maybe it was before COVID and all these inflationary outs we have been enjoying in the last few years
    Wonderhow much a rift s would be sold for today but my guess above the Q3

14. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

So much agreed with that
    Started my VR journey with a 2nd hand Q2 and loved it

So much that i have been testing a pico neo3 link and p4 in the last few weeks as well
    Bought the n3l again 2nd hand for 150bucks and games look amazing with the DP port!!!

15. TomLehockySVK

Actually i bought my last Rift S during July of 2022 - it still cost 500 euros, so nope, it was still a great deal and much better than any mobile VR headset.

16. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

I see, good for you then
    For me in japan currently amazon sells the rifts s for 85000yen vs the Q3 selling for 74000yen

17. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

With Quest 2 (max resolution 120Hz) and a 3060Ti, some tips:

1) (Quest 2) Set FOV to like 0.675 and 0.275. With max IPD you don´t lose any horizontal real fov and mimic vertical helmet fov with a lot of headroom in GPU usage;

2) (Quest 2) Use AUTO ASW, it's great at 120Hz with 60 FPS when it kick in;

3) Do not tweak graphics config files to sharpen image, use Aniso 16x, and if you have GPU power, supersampling;

4) Please, set SHADOWS AT ULTRA. This game engine is made to run with shadows at ultra. Texture filtering and shadows always maxed, and tweak all other settings with minor visual changes for performance gains.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Where do I edit these FOV settings?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusDebugTool.exe

Or something like this path... Oculus Debug Tool.

With this FOV I use these settings, maybe can help, because after a lot of testing, for a 3060Ti, I believe graphics/performace at 120Hz are really nice:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  20. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for your suggestions, but for my headset they don't really apply, particularly they use of reprojection, on the pico 4 it's just not a pleasant experience.

Also as far as shadows are concerned I much prefer the blurry pop in of low to the shimmer created by higher settings. Really what the game needs is a shadow blurring pass. I think that's the ideal solution for VR.

Anyway I'm not at all unhappy with the image quality I have at the moment. It's probably one of the few games in VR where I just did think about it anymore. My tweaker days are over.

• Agree Agree x 2