1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

The best thing to fix the VR performance is buying a 4090. I was blown away by the difference. (Previously had 3080)

I run a Quest 3 via Link cable. 940mbs and 5408x???? @ 72hz (ASW Disabled). All settings in AMS2 are either HIGH or ULTRA. I have that extra sharpening fix in the XML settings as well.

Code:
    <prop name="SharpeningStrength" sharpeningstrength="1.100000" />
    <prop name="SharpeningClamp" sharpeningclamp="0.090000" />

I am able to race with 20 AI cars, at midnight, starting at the front at Nurburgring Veedol in Thunderstorm, wet track. My frame rate dips to 65fps until turn 1 when it goes to full 72fps and stays there for the rest of the race no matter what happens. I could probably run 80hz without issue but I use 72hz (ASW) for MSFS, so can't be bothered changing it per game.

BTW, If I start at the back of the pack, there is no frame rate issue EVER. Same scenario but just starting at the back of same size grid gives me full frame rate. Wish people would actually listen to actual test results. The new "Max Rendered Vehicles" setting is pretty much useless to me. Who wants to watch cars in front disappear when they don't have any impact on performance.

They just need to add a setting for controlling the number of cars rendered BEHIND you (cars in front have no effect for me so I want the max rendered in front hence why I test by making sure I start in first position on the grid).

Oh, and VR Sparks are still broken!!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The max visible vehicles is getting improvement (priorize better those in front), it's being tested at the moment.

I have tried/experimented using different bit rates (with 3080) and frankly, I don't see clear difference between let say 500 and 940 (too low is problematic though). Now sure in what situations it would actually make difference or would it need beefier gpu/cpu to actually take use (or is the bottleneck in the headset).

I was testing on Le Mans, 31 cars, max visible vehicles at 20 starting at 8pm with x20 accelaration and the fps didn't really dip that much for the whole time. Only in the early race when all the cars were around me and sun was coming down, I my headroom of 30-40% (given by oculus debug tool) went down to enough that it dipped slightly to negative.

I had 80fps, rendering resolution slider at max. I didn't have game graphic settings very high, as what I'm looking for is mainly clear enough picture. Limiting the FOV a lot (especially limiting the vertical fov to 0.3) gives so much performance benefit that you don't need 4090 to get smooth fps... The thing that annoys me more, is just the clarity at distance, shimmering/flickering issues and nothing seems to improve that aspect even if I forget all fps requirements.

Virtual desktop with fast wlan might help with that, because If I understood correctly, it can go beyound what is now possible with the oculus link that is still limited by the max settings set by Quest 2. I don't have a good enough wlan to even try that unfortunately.

ps. I also found it weird that in VR I get pop-in (some trees / building in distance) but if I run the game on monitor on those same (quite low) settings, I don't get that (this was tested on Long Beach). I wonder is it the the game resolution difference that is causing that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

Any sharpening editing config files induces more shimmering far away, that's the reason I give up of using It - it's blurred but like the engine is designed to work. Without this, shadows in ultra are perfect. Shadows in low are terrible, and at night, the cars don't block headlights like medium - ultra.

For me, the coolest thing in VR is use the g-forces in camera settings without the fixed driver body, because this way I can really feel the car movement.

4. wanderschikanentv

wanderschikanentv New Member

I fully agree with your statement about the "Max Rendered Vehicles". In the current form, it is not helpful for performance gain. It should be separated to limit the number of cars displayed behind your vehicle. I'm on RTX3080 / HP Reverb G2 and was hoping for performance boost at night, but in the current state, it reduces immersion (because cars in front are also cropped), but does not help with fps.

5. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This is great news, thank you!

6. BazzaLB

I have pretty clear visuals in the distance tbh. Perhaps you are seeing compression artifacts that you only notice in the distance and thats where 940mbs is helping my distance visuals.

I can run high/Ultra (mostly Ultra) but the most important thing is I can run MSAA high. This helps with the visuals too. I run with link cable and tbh I think this probably helps with sharpness.

Hope this new “Max Visible vehicles” setting thats being worked on actually allows you to only effect cars behind. When I was querying this setting before the patch release, I was told to basically stfu and wait and see because its working well. As I expected, it doesn’t work at all well for me (and others).

Next time they work on Sparks, I really hope they take the opportunity to fix them for VR.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It does however work well for others, including me :) even in daytime bright sunny conditions limiting the cars infront helps my performance. Of course, as stated, it's not perfect and they're working on it right now to help improve it further, which is what Reiza do.

8. GFoyle

There is shimmering without the sharpness filter being used too unfortunately (on normal monitor too, but less).

I tried to take it off and did a race with shadows on ultra and it was actually pretty fine on a track where you don't have such visibility to long into the horizon (it was Imola). I guess the blurriness on the distance annoys me if you have track like Le Mans...

I personally can't use those camera momement settings at all without feeling ill.. quite sensitive to those things (kinda suprised to learn that I can actually race in VR at all actually).

9. GFoyle

I have to play around more with that bitrate to be sure (and maybe with trying that MSAA with high again), but I can't remember it helping with the clarity at all. Not sure is it compression or maybe related to the resolution as what suggested here as possible cause: Reddit - Dive into anything

"Update: I have now discovered that the max render resolution the Oculus PC app can set for the Q3 is still the same as the Q2. They haven't bothered toupdate it. No wonder my impression was about same between Q2 and Q3, they both render at the same max resolution 5408 & encode res 3664 , while the Q3 is capable of rendering at 6092 & encode res 4128. So if you read this perhaps hold on if you dare to be patient until they update the app."

btw. even when you can technically give higher encode res value in the tools now, it doesnt' seem to be used according to the performance overlays.

10. paddler

paddler Active Member AMS2 Club Member

11. paddler

paddler Active Member AMS2 Club Member

What settings are u using for the g forces and what about the driver body? thx

12. wickfut

wickfut Member

if you have some aliasing shimmering and you have a little GPU horsepower to spare try this:

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. glenharrison8

glenharrison8 New Member

Has anyone got any suggestions for VR overlays? I find the ones in-game make me go a bit cross-eyed. I have to turn everything off, including the rear view mirror and just rely on jim from crew chief to tell me what's going on......which isn't the best.

14. BazzaLB

I have Link Sharpening at Quality. Not sure if that helps. I actually found the XML tweaks sharpened up the image quite a lot for VR. I noticed it when I went from my Vive Pro to Quest 3. The Quest 3 looked blurrier in the distance and that was because I had to change a different XML file for the Quest 3. Once I did that it looked miles sharper in the distance.

Other than that, I am not sure but it definitely looks crisp to me.

I'm loving the quest 3. I am now playing EA WRC in VR using the new UEVR mod (minus shadows unfortunately).

15. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You have a few options, first thing you could try is this mod which will push the VR hud a bit further away from your face, it's surprisingly effective and makes it much more useable, especially if all you're looking for is radar.

AMS 2 HUD Position Mod (VR)

Next option after that is that you could use Crew Chief to arrange and display custom overlays my favourite would be... edit* I thought Tiny Pedal was available for AMS 2 but I was mistaken...

Then you have options like simhub of course and you just need another app to display them in the headset, for steamVR you have a ton of options.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

QUEST2 and PICO NEO3Link owner here

posted this on the PICOXR discord, I will do some testing with my Q2 tomorrow

"been testing for last couple of hours so happy to share, but conclusions are what you guys drew already

PC spec 5800X3D/ RTX 3080 12gn UV/OC via MSI AB voltage curve

On stock PICO drivers, no Gmolargey profile applied
    vrperfkit no renderscale or FFR applied
    Monza, 31 cars on track
    in Game Graphics settings quite similar to this
    [​IMG]

Setting in PICOLINK at 90Hz refresh rate
    MSAA High
    Start race last of the pack
    frametimes between 11 and 13.5ms, nice powerpoint slideshow at the beginning of the race with frequent stutters. staying non smooth if kept last of the pack or jumping few positions ahead as well.
    if I took distance from the car in front of me, frametimes become smooth
    Max cars visible had very limited effect if any
    frametimes Killer is MSAA
    , turned one notch down to Medium and its more playable, perfectly smooth at Low

Setting in PICOLINK at 72Hz refresh rate
    MSAA High
    frametimes between 11 and 13.5ms again but very smooth due to lower refresh rate chosen

I am not motion sick so actually running the Game at 72hz is perfectly fine"

17. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

interesting. never really tried AA at GPU driver level but worth a try.
    I assume that you have MSAA Off in Game settings obviously right?

18. GFoyle

I tried it earlier, but didn't do anything (at least to improve). This is with a disclaimer, I might have had other settings too high for it to work properly. I have my doubts though...

19. GFoyle

isn't tiny pedal still only for rF2 though? I use there (with normal monitor) all the time and love it though.

20. wickfut

wickfut Member

No. It's set to assist the game AA, so I have MSAA on medium. It sort of blurs a little but the blur takes out aliasing too, sort of suck it and see.