1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. morpwr

morpwr Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Im using a G2. Result is the same though.

• Like Like x 1
  2. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Are you using VD or SA? If VD as a sanity check you could try using opencomposite + vdxr at least then you would no if it's steam specific. That's the setup I'm using with my P4 at the moment and I do not suffer from this issue. Also counterintuitively opencomposite + vdxr actually gives objectively better framerate than SteamVR. ymmv.

3. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Yes its definitely game driven not headest type issue

edit please ignore following, thanks
    Now someone on discord mentioned reiza pushed an update to mitigate the headlights bad impact
    Sorry but i didn't see anything coming to us in japan
    People comments here?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
  4. Emir_de_Passy

Emir_de_Passy Member

Hi. I just fired up ams2 in my new headset and somehow I can't get a very sharp image. What's everyone's values in the graphics config file?
    What about openxrtoolkit?
    Thanks

5. LooseyMoosey

LooseyMoosey Member

Hi Mate, I'm running a Quest 3 / RTX4070 / 5600X so pretty close in specs to yourself.

I'm still tinkering but this is where I'm at currently. I'm running 80hz and it's stable in daytime, with the occasional need for reprojection with night races. I've set ASW to be off by default but I have a switch on my rig to toggle ASW back on if needed.

I've tried 90hz at same resolution and it seemed fine but I can't really notice the difference between 80hz and 90hz so I figured the extra headroom could be useful.

I've reduced vertical FOV a little via the debug tool as it's an easy way to find extra performance and I honestly don't even notice it after a while. I haven't touched the horizontal as I found this would be noticable even at 0.95 and I definitely don't want to lose horizontal FOV.

I haven't had the chance to tinker with the new visible cars setting. I don't see it being that impactful to be honest as the real killer is headlights of the cars behind you. If Reiza could introduce a setting to change the number of visible headlights ahead and behind that would be ideal. Maybe one day right?

I'm running Quest Link via cable. I've fiddled with Opencomposite/VRPerfKit previously (on the Quest 2) but found any possible gains not to be worth the trouble. I found myself spending more time fiddling with stuff than actually playing so I didn't want yet another thing to tinker with.

These are all my settings. Hopefully it'll help you find a baseline to work from. Let me know how you go and please share any discoveries you make.

Nvidia Control Panel:
    All default. I've fiddled a little with MFAA & FXAA but honestly didn't notice any improvement.

Oculus Desktop App:
    Refresh Rate: 80hz
    Resolution: 5152x2752

Oculus Debug Tool:
    Pixels Per Display Override: 1.0
    FOV-Tangent Multipler: 1.00 (H) / 0.65 (V)
    (PC) Asynchronous Spacewarp: Disabled
    Distortion Curvature: Low
    Encode Bitrate (Mbps): 400
    Link Sharpening: Normal

Documents\Automobilista 2\graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml
    SharpeningStrength: 0.45
    SharpeningClamp: 0.09
    OffsetBias: 1.00

AMS2 Performance Settings:
    Texture Resolution: High
    Texture Filtering: Anisotropic 16X
    V-Sync: Off
    MSAA: Medium
    Reflections: Medium
    Environment Map: Medium
    Car Detail: High
    Track Detail: High
    Pit Crew Detail: All
    Shadow Detail: Medium
    Enhanced Mirror: Yes
    Motion Blur: Off
    Render Frames Ahead: 1
    Detailed Grass: Low
    Particle Level: Medium
    Partical Density: Medium

AMS2 Visual FX:
    Post-Processing Filters: On
    Exterior Sun Flare: Chroma
    Interior Sun Flare: Chroma
    Bloom: Off
    Heat Haze: Off
    Exposure Compensation: 1.00
    Rain Drops: No
    Vignette: No
    Crepuscular Rays: Yes
    Screen Dirt: Yes
    Cockpit Mirrors: Yes

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  6. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Not sure if this is possible in the AMS2 Engine but in RF2 the following setting in the player.json file worked wonders (or at least used too until they broke it!) - "Max Headlights":256,
    With that I lowered it to double digits and immediately got a performance boost, if that is something that could be done for AMS2 then that could be the answer by limiting the number of headlights. Again though there will be "popping" in of headlights on/off cars just the same as now with cars magically appearing/disappearing, different tracks with more cars visible, safety car scenarios etc etc.
    Like the visible vehicles setting it would'nt ever be perfect for everyone one, it's about compromise and accepting what you can achieve with your individual system specs.

7. glenharrison8

glenharrison8 New Member

That's much better thanks. Two of the bottom ones cover the wing mirrors though, how on earth do you move them?

8. Wilfred de Ruijter

Wilfred de Ruijter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I use VD, but i'll try SA to see if the same thing will happen under SA. Under VD I use VDXR, but I will try also the OpenComposite.

9. morpwr

Like most things theres a trade off but until we have 6090s its a necessary one. AMS2 looks absolutely stunning if you can turn the settings up but if you want to play in a scenario that needs headlights you cant do that at this point.. I start at a steady 90fps at the back and by the time im mid pack im at 50fps. So i can live with that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. chonk

So with vdxr if the game is launching in steam it is ignoring this option, that's why you need to use opencomposite to bypass steam. Hope you can get it sorted either way.

11. chonk

you're welcome, not really sure which to elements you're talking about, I tend to only ever use a hud to briefly check position or the ffb meter. In the hudUI options you can turn on/off whichever elements you want and to an extent position them as you like.

12. Redvaliant

Redvaliant Well-Known Member

You don't need that VR hud mod, the ingame VR hud menu contains extra settings for resizing, rotating, tilting and adjusting the H & V planes fore - aft, up - down etcetera. It's under the help menu in the hud and displays what keypad keys you need to use.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Paul Heijmans

Paul Heijmans New Member

Hey everybody , i dont know if this is a known issue or not but i gained a good 25 fps by disabling driver names .During daytime its not a big problem but during nighttime it helps allot .

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I tested that nighttime performance loss. Started with 29 gen2 GT3s at Spa, 6pm and x15 acceleration, I started last or at least close to (it was random, but I remember everybody being in front of me on first lap).

I have set my configuration so that normally I have about 35-40% headroom (in the oculus debug tool performance overlay).

When the darkness came and I overtook cars, I went down to -5% to +20% head headroom and my fps usually stayed the same, only dropping max 5-10fps. So basically I needed the headroom to avoid having impact to how smoothly the game runs (and this is kinda my whole point, try to make sure you have that headroom available if you want to avoid how the conditions affect your fps).

As for my settings (Quest 3, rest you can find from my signature).

Oculus Desktop App:
    Refresh Rate: 80hz
    Resolution: 5152x2752

Oculus Debug Tool:
    Pixels Per Display Override: 0
    FOV-Tangent Multipler: 0.9 (H) / 0.3 (V)
    Adaptive GUP Performance Scale: Off (first time trying this OFF, not sure did it do anything)
    (PC) Asynchronous Spacewarp: Disabled
    Distortion Curvature: Low
    Video Codec: Default
    Sliced Encoding: Default
    Encode dynamic bitrate: Disabled
    Encode Bitrate (Mbps): 500
    Link Sharpening: Quality
    Local Dimming: Enabled

Oculus Tray Tool:
    I just installed it and set the values, but not sure did it actually do anything as I had debug tool already running at the time (and the values were set pretty much similar to what I had in Oculus Debug Tool).

AMS2 Performance Settings:
    Texture Resolution: High
    Texture Filtering: Anisotropic 8X
    V-Sync: Off
    MSAA: High
    Reflections: Low
    Environment Map: High
    Car Detail: High
    Max Vehicles: 18 (there is still issues with some cars vanishing from front, but it was only issue in the first 2 laps when the whole group was together).
    Track Detail: High
    Pit Crew Detail: None
    Shadow Detail: Low
    Enhanced Mirror: Yes
    Motion Blur: Off
    Render Frames Ahead: 1
    Detailed Grass: Off
    Particle Level: High
    Partical Density: High

AMS2 Visual FX:
    Post-Processing Filters: On
    Exterior Sun Flare: Chroma
    Interior Sun Flare: Subtle
    Bloom: Off
    Heat Haze: Off
    Exposure Compensation: 1.00
    Rain Drops: No
    Vignette: No
    Crepuscular Rays: Yes
    Screen Dirt: Yes
    Cockpit Mirrors: Yes

Nvidia Control Panel:
    All default.

Documents\Automobilista 2\graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml
    All default

• Like Like x 1
  15. morpwr

Where do you do that?

16. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

I never had them enabled because of immersion, but a whole 25 just from turning off that ? Seems odd.

17. GFoyle

I took them out recently too, not because of fps in mind, but because it sometimes made it look I can see thru another car. I wouldn't surprised that it might impact performance too.

18. GFoyle

Gameplay - Display OPPONENT NAMES -> OFF

19. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

It's been a while since running AMS2 in VR but, is anyone else having raindrops (open cockpit) on the visor in VR?
    Tested with / without helmet view, nothing.

20. DayrFile

DayrFile Member

Hope it works for your headset. Another note on the FoV, I still don't know what it actually does in the openxr toolkit. It felt more like a supersampling in the narrowed region with the pixels provided for vertical resolution. So to get more fps one would need to lower the resolution again? :confused: (I didn't test it myself)
    This VR stuff ..:) In ten years the children will just switch it easily on without any problems, and we tell them: "you know, back then we injected third party tools, exchanged hardware parts in the headset, overwrote the config files, restarted the game 268 times, to just get some 3k pixels at moderate fps (<-- they will call that a blurry mess then), and during the night, and rain it was even more difficult!" :D