1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I had a play around with it yesterday and yes when you first apply it while in game it just squashes the existing resolution into a smaller box. After a restart though as you said it fixes the scale and in the headset it just appears as though the original image has been cropped. However, it actually had a negative impact on performance in my case, I believe this is down to Virtual Desktop in my case, one of the devs/mods on their discord said that due to VD's design gains would likely be very small if any.

2. mlsxld

mlsxld New Member

The optimized max visible vehicles setting in 1.5.5.1 works much better, on my system a 30 car race with setting to 18 visible vehicles FPS jumps from 50 to 60. Finally Reiza did something to save the poor performance at night. But when I get a leading position in a big crowd FPS drops again as the number of visible vehicles increases.

In this case it is clear that light casted by vehicles behind costs much more performance, therefore adding a separate option to limit the number of visible vehicles behind may achieve bigger performance boost than current solution. For me with VR, 4-5 visible vehicles behind is enough as they can be seen in side mirror only, side effect is negligible.

I'm so happy the night performance issue finally comes into devs' view, please keep on! Thank you Reiza!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Found a workaround guys

change driving view from cockpit to bumper and bang no lights reflections inside the cabin anymore killing the fps

Oh yeah but killing the VR immersion :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I never thought about trying this but, I have wondered if the problem is interior reflections/shadow casting etc. Would be interesting if they could test having only the car closest behind you casting to the interior. Although that starts to get very specific, probably a bit of a head scratcher to implement. Still wanting other cars in front and behind to affect the exterior environment but not the interior...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. mlsxld

mlsxld New Member

The interior light casted by cars behind is so annoying, I would rather turn it off totally. In terms of the performance cost of such light, it may be a potentional direction of opitmization.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

I give up to demand changes in core graphics engine. The game engine is third part, and I really think is hard to Reiza to change some things - even simple - in this aspect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GoobMB

GoobMB Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Ah, good catch with restarting AMS2 to apply FOV correctly! Thanks.

8. dst

dst Member

Thank you for this! Major improvement in clarity. I need to fiddle with the MSAA level. I have it on high and think medium might give a smoother experience. Need to balance that with the quality drop though. I do think I had some settings that were conflicting, and missed some obvious wins (majorly raising the resolution level) due to there being about 5000 variables amongst all the platforms, config files etc.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

9. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

I know my post sounded like a joke, was the purpose of last comment but actually I was being serious in the return on this camera view change.

I do drive in bumper view when I play on my 4k TV, its an habit I took in my early video games days 40yrs ago so not changing now that I have happily passed middle aged man age

but of course in VR, nothing gives more immersion than the cockpit view.

I play other Sims in the rain&night with a better VR experience so I feel its only with AMS2 that I had to use this workaround

10. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Is it possible though to change to bumper view and then move the camera back so it is in the cockpit?

• Creative Creative x 1
  11. manfer

manfer Member

Hey guys, today I'm getting my quest 2.
    Since I find it very difficult to keep track of how best to make which settings, can you give me tips on setting up quest 2 with my 3070ti on AMS2?

so what´s about open xr? does it work with the quest 2?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2024
  12. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

I
    i am trying to consolidate something on discord but it might take some days before I get steamvr, in Game and openxr tools best effort

lot of variables and adjustments check needed

I would post here or making a specific thread maybe

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. manfer

manfer Member

Hey Guys one question:

what's the matter to edit the "sharpeningstrength" in the graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml ?
    By default it's 0.00 and I've heard that it's make sense to increase it to 1.00, but I can't recognize any difference between 0 and 1.

14. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Try 2.0 or 3.0 to see if you notice difference, if not, then something is wrong.

15. manfer

manfer Member

what exactly should change? should it be sharper?

16. Exorbit

Exorbit New Member

yes, sharper, a lot sharper than vanilla settings. Don't forget to save your file once you've made the change

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. manfer

manfer Member

Has anyone ever achieved an improvement through fewer visible cars? Especially on Daytona in the infield I have severe frame drops in VR.

18. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have yes, when it first released I was gaining 6-8fps depending on the track (sunny clear weather), Daytona is notoriously tough on performance though and I have to lower settings more than other tracks when racing on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. wickfut

wickfut Member

I managed going from MSAA - LOW to MSAA - MEDIUM by limiting car visibility to twelve.

20. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

In optimal weather conditions or at night or rain?

Doesnt do much in the 2 latters considering the car behind headlights fps killer, to me and i read for others too