1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. wickfut

wickfut Member

If the headlights are causing issues then lower your rendering resolution, super-sampling amount or MSAA settings until they don't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Sure reducing MSAA is an Option but given the aliasing inherited from the Madness engine it’s a NO GO for me especially in VR

3. manfer

manfer Member

Quest-User-Answer (but it should work for other VR-Headsets too):
    I found out that the fov setting in the debug tool (via ocolus tray tool) can bring a lot of performance without noticing any visual limitations. I have my fov at 0.82 / 0.82 and therefore have quite acceptable performance even in Daytona at night with rain with full grid and all visible cars (all settings on medium, high or ultra)
    My problem is more the shimmering in the distance, I haven't been able to find any solution to that yet.

-> I will post my exactly settings later

• Like Like x 1
  4. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I limited my vertical fov as low as 0.3, something that @Ernesto_171 suggested (he uses 0.275 if I remember correctly). It's still more than I have vertically on my ultrawide and you can think it as having helmet where the vertical fov is limited. I have no need to see virtual skinny legs and even with the steering wheel, I just need to look tiny bit lower to see the whole thing. Fortunately this isn't flying simulator, so the vertical fov is really not important and easy way to get more performance out of higher settings. That is number 1 way to increase you performance, what you get with having in game graphical settings lower is minimal compared to limited the vertical fov a lot (btw. in rF2, it's not the same... not even sure yet does limiting it help in that game at all).

As for shimmering in the distance... you won't get rid all of it. Trust me, I tried tons of different things, but from what I understood, major contribution to it is the compression on Quest headsets, which you can't get rid off fully as it's going to be always either wireless or wired using usb (and not display port) and both require compression. AMS2 also seems to be have a bit extra shimmering in any case (more if you increase the sharpness).

The best results I have achieved have been with Quest 3 have been MSAA at high and not using the sharpening (you can find my full settings few pages back). I can also drive at night with headlights behind me, because I have made sure I have enough headroom to take the hit before it starts to affect the fps.

For those with Quest 3, people have told here and elsewhere that with 4080-90 you can get better performance out of it with the link cable (I guess you can run the bitrate at 940 and actually benefit from that without adverse effect then, which should limit the compression more and thus lower the shimmering at distance).

5. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That's actually a neat idea and good tip thanks chaps, I already have a smaller FOV with OpenXR Toolkit to help with FPS, but I may try even smaller vertical and see whether I like the illusion of a helmet or not (never really got on with helmet cams in VR in the past).

6. manfer

manfer Member

is there a way to set only der vertical fov via Oculus tray tool or you have to edit it every time via oculus debug tool?

7. GFoyle

I at least don't know how, it's annoying (and setting those fov values in Oculus tray tool doesn't seem to work either, so I have to use the ODT to set the fov every time)

8. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

With glasses, I can set .675 horizontal FOV with Quest 2 without losing any FOV at max IPD setting (3). And I can run any track, no headlights, max grid with fixed 120Hz with a 3060ti. It's a must, max Quest 2 resolution.

9. Luka2832796

Luka2832796 New Member

Hi, is there a way to get more 3d deph in automobilista (madnes engine).
    Before you all start that the 3d is good and so on. That is corret. I dont have problems with that.
    Also I dont meen world scale.

But some how Automobilista 2(madnes angine) has less deph than ACC and RFACTOR2. And RF2 has the best deph. The problem is that 50m are not feeling like 50m. With Nvidia 3dvision it was called convergence. There was a hack that we could use to get 200%. It means more deph.

Lets say that in 2d you have FOV. And les FOV gives you slower feeling. The same is in VR and I wolud like to set convergence (more deph to mednes engine).

If somebody knows if this is possible, please let me know.

Thank you

Luka

10. manfer

manfer Member

What do you meant with "not using the sharpening"? Is it "Link sharpening = quality"?

11. manfer

manfer Member

12. Mad Day Man

Mad Day Man Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi,
    very interesting topics here to read. :) Will try to edit the vertical FOV myself and see if it helps to boost the performance some more and if it looks for me, even if I have a decent performance in general.

I got a question to the Oculus debug tool. I always set asynchronous spacewarp to off. Sometimes it remembers it and sometimes not, so I have to check all the time I play. Is there a solution, so I can be sure it is off all the time?

Thank you
    Florian

13. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

yes with the profile option

upload_2024-1-12_22-6-29.png

• Like Like x 2
  14. wickfut

wickfut Member

There isn't a magic bullet which will make your GPU process more graphic effects for free. It's either lower settings or buy a better GPU.

• Creative Creative x 1
  15. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

allocating time,brainstorming options,testing and validating is more the Option I personally prefer but each to his own I guess:rolleyes:

16. wickfut

wickfut Member

Yes talking about things always makes up for lack of GPU grunt. Carry on

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. GFoyle

I meant the AMS2 config file where you can increase the sharpness for the game. I have the link sharpening at Quality on the ODT.

18. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

You have stocks at NVIDIA by any chance?
    Just curious

19. GFoyle

It took me a while to "accept" having the vertically limited FOV in VR, but it didn't took that long before it I didn't even notice it when driving. With tintops, you view to outside is still less than what your vertical fov will be, so it doesn't really limit anything much, but I was also suprised that I didn't care about having it at 0.3 even with open wheelers, it's not like I have time to look up and marvel at the sky during driving..

• Like Like x 3
  20. GFoyle

Same with Quest 3, max resolution (I run with 80Hz personally and no ASW). I do run higher horizontal fov (0.95) with Quest 3, though I have a bit more powerful GPU (3080).

In any case, limiting that vertical fov is really easy to get a lot more performance out of your system with AMS2 without big drawbacks (IMO). If the vertical fov is limited a lot, I didn't find the need to limit the horizontal fov that much either (especially with quest where the image is pretty clear on the sides too).

• Like Like x 2