1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. BistoKid

BistoKid Active Member

Ok thank you for the confirmation. Perhaps then I need to do a repair as @Lt.Dan_Taylor did and add the DLLs again.

2. MrMe

MrMe New Member

Hi, a rather strange issue for this game, I can't get it looking amazing in VR. My system is pretty good, but I have an unreasonable amount of headroom left:

• I7 8700k, overclocked on a Asus Z390a mobo
    • MSI 4080 super
    • 32gb DDR4 3600 MHz
    • Quest 3
    So far I have:
    • Maxed all the settings out on AMS2, switched between MSAA & SSAA, SS on 2.0 (shadows are off because they look awful)
    • Tweeked the sharpness in the config files
    • Installed and running on OXR
    • Switched to quality link sharpening, 900 dynamic bitrate and H265 in Quest debug
    • Ensured quality settings is on in Geforce and link sharpening set to max
    I haven't yet played around with the various sharpeners in OXR.

I'm getting a steady 90fps at night, with loads of cars on track but it still seems slightly off and I've seen people struggling to get this FPS on a 4090, so something must have gone wrong somewhere? I'm sure it can look better than this, various artefacts and overal render seems to be off. (posted this as a new thread but realised it should be here)

3. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

What resolution? Suggest to try resolution override in OpenXR Toolkit. The CAS sharpening at 90% is also good imo, though I am going to try FSR next

4. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Hello Quest 2 / 3 users, anyone here used both SteamLink and Virtual Desktop and could tell me if VD is worth paying 20 euros for ? Since SteamLink is free and works great, it would be nice to know of VD is even better or not worth it.
    EDIT: I am also connected to my PC with WLAN.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
  5. Lt.Dan_Taylor

Lt.Dan_Taylor New Member

My PC is connected via WLAN, whereby the signal only has to pass a few centimeters through a thin inner wall. as far as I know, a wired connection is normally a prerequisite for both VD and SL. I have the feeling that the connection between VD and SL is somewhat more stable and runs more smoothly than SL. Nevertheless, I uninstalled VD again because OC and OpenVR Toolkit no longer worked for me after installing VD, although this could also be a user error.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. MrMe

MrMe New Member

Good point left that out, resolution on the quest 3 is set to max at 90fps

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Those settings together look strange, no matter what.

So you have the render resolution in the oculus software at max and I guess 90hz is selected there ? (first things first).

I would leave the sharpening tweaks out, those are matter of taste (you can adjust them as last thing, I but I think it eventually just added a bit too much flickering (picture was a bit restless).

H265 seems to be really heavy (earlier it was suggested to use that with the slicing option off, but for me it was way too heavy with 3080), so I would first try to make everything look as good on the H264 as possible. I think with the 40xx cars you had also some third option available to try?

MSAA is max in game. I don't use the SS in game at all.

Now, usually dynamic bitrate off works better according to many. I haven't even tried it on. Set the encoding bitrate to 500 (I didn't notice any gains above that personally). Encoding resolution width is something I'm currently playing with because it seems to actually make impact, currently I have it at 4000 (that means encoding resultion is something like 4000x2260, you can see it from the performance overlay ("oculus link" type). I'm still trying going to try how high it can go and see how it impacts the performance.

AWS "off"

Oh, for me most important thing is to limit the FOV, vertical FOV in the debug tool a lot. Otherwise the performance just isn't there. I see it also a free headroom, because vertically there is so much you don't need to see during racing that it's just waste of fps to have it full.

When I started with the Quest 3 (my first headset), I had the settings in general just too high... and to me it just made worse, not just fps, but also what comes to the picture quality (probably adding compression). I suspect that you have pumped up everything to so high you actually end with worse quality.

Aim for having 30-40% headroom with other cars on track and daytime, then you should have enough headroom when it comes night / raining to avoid fps and other problems much better. Headroom is very important to get stable performance.

You won't ever get rid of all the artificats, flickering, shadow issues etc. so temper you expectations. It won't look as good as on good monitor what comes to fidelity of the picture. I had clearly way too high expections myself.

ps. try having the nvidia side at default values and optimize everything like that first to have some good baseline at least

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

So I had a fiddle with different FFR settings and also CAS vs FSR and found FSR with FFR off to give the best performance. Firstly, with CAS 90% and FFR on, I found that 1/2 and 1/4 res middle ring would give artefacts, but 1/8 or 1/16 work fine, so set 55% inner, 70% outer with 1/8 middle and 1/16 outer res. Even then, appGPU only changed about 0.5ms between FFR on and off, so don't think it's giving much performance benefit. A 3 lap race around Brands starting in early morning for 60x time progression still gave frame drops for the night to day transition with gpu usage at 100%.

Next I tried FSR at 72% with 90% sharpening and could not get FFR to work with any res giving artefacts. However, the image still looked good and gave me much better performance even with FFR off. Running the same race, held 80fps for the opening lap with gpu usage closer to 80% (on average, but very up and down). I didn't try changing render res yet and kept everything at 2500x2161.

So might stick with FSR going forward and forget about the FFR

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. MrMe

MrMe New Member

Thanks for the reply on this. I've discovered a stranger issue... No changes to SS, MSAA etc. make any difference to visuals or performance. Looks and performs exactly the same whatever I do, have changed settings on and off on AMS2 and OXR and no difference.

10. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

agreed.

been a fan of openxrtoolkit for a while but decided to start from scratch vanilla again to push the limits of my 3080 12gb(heavily OCed too) and run some tests this afternoon on my Q2

Quest resolution pushed to MAX and 90Hz in the app

MSSA to High in Game
    Car and tracks details High
    Shadows Medium

using OTT to set FOV and ASW as shown here
    upload_2024-2-10_18-15-59.png

managed to run Races with 30 AI and 12 visible, at night, with 90fps and quite smooth frametimes.
    including in cockpit view with all the lights reflection and stuff coming from AI behind me.
    so to make long story short, I might pause the continuous openxrtoolkit tweaking and just use these basic settings moving forward

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  11. GFoyle

One setting I found that improved things for me was setting the reflections in game to "low". It's been a while since I change that, but if I remember correctly, those just created unnessary flicker and I never have found any need to have it higher (and having it low improves the performance a bit too).

12. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

I might also agree with that reflections topic.

my little theory about why FOV adjustment helps with fps at night is that less cockpit surface to reflect lights on, so more stable performance.

I did A to B comparison, same track same night and weather conditions, using a GT3 car then a P3 so less cockpit surface in the latter and the performance were better

again, just my 2p of course

@GFoyle
    I can see you are using a Q3 and you have the same GPU than me. did you go straight to a Q3 or upgrade from a Q2 (which I have currently).

I am interested by the features of the Q3, the colour passthrough and of course pancake lenses with higher resolutions but also concerned about the performance hit I would get if I do this move

thanks in advance

13. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

Same here. I only feel better image in wet track reflections. Is better to go up with Environment Map, because this setting really improves visuals at any time.

14. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

In VR, when you hit "Invite" in a MP lobby you created, does it bring up your friends list? It's not doing anything for me in VR, either with OpenComposite or SteamVR.

This is with an HP Reverb G2, so I have the Mixed Reality Portal in the background.

15. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Using SteamVR when I start a race then the game hangs, the red bar won't move.

When I start it using Virtual Desktop then no issue....

16. FearFactor

FearFactor New Member

I have also G2 and today ive had the same issue. Nothing hapens when i hit the invite button...

17. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Solved: set the Pause when lost focus to OFF in the Performance settings

18. GFoyle

Latest Quest PC app update and Quest 3 firmware update seems to have brought the 120Hz option available to use with the oculus link. I knew that my PC is not powerful enough to run it smoothly in all situations (definitely not during nightime with full of cars), but it was suggested here that ASW would actually be usable with 120Hz mod so I went to try that quickly.

I first set a practice session with AI on Silverstone with some hi-tech 2 cars it worked really well, my pc was able to keep up with the 120hz quite well and image was clear and framerate smooth as butter. I often had like 0-15% headroom, sometimes it dipped under 120fps but not sure ASW ever activated and with that framerate, I didn't really even notice smaller fps drops).

Then set a race at Hockenheim with the GT3, set starting position middle from 30 car grid and start time at 10pm. ASW was defintely in much heavier use, from the start I saw the fps being now at 60fps, but that was actually pretty good and felt suprisingly smooth. The only bigger issue with driving at night there was actually the last 3 corners where the framerate dropped to 90-100fps and I noticed the image stuttering a bit (nothing too bad, but clear nevertheless). ASW didn't seem to kick in at that point for some reason.

So based on sort test, this 120hz + ASW definitely seems to be viable option. Have to test more to see whether I continue to keep using this or get back to my old settings, which have been pretty fine and stable no matter the conditions. Those with more powerful computer can probably now enjoy 120Hz mode even more.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. Mad Day Man

Mad Day Man Member AMS2 Club Member

Which Version does your PC App have? Can't find 120 Hz mode or do i need to activate it somewhere first?
    My Version is: Meta Link App Version 62.0.0.235.346

20. GFoyle

Meta Link App Version 62.0.0.235.346 (62.0.0.235.346)

so same. Do you have the v62 update for the headset installed? I didn't notice the 120hz option there earlier (I think I checked on friday or thursday last week), but it was there now. I had my headset connected with the link cable (not sure did it matter)

EDIT: I have also the developer mode active on the headset, no idea does it affect it or not.