1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Mikael Pettersson

Mikael Pettersson New Member

Before i was using Link Cable and using Oculus debug tool to reduce the FOV. It gave me alot of headroom. Now i changed to wireless over Virtual Desktop starting the game with Open Composite. I was wondering if i can reduce the FOV some how like before and get the same headroom like before. If yes then where can i do that? In the debug tool again? Do i need to cennoct with link cable and then switch to VD?

2. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes you can, but it's not exactly the same. You need to use OpenXR Toolkit and foveated rendering for this. I actually just this week wrote a comment how I did it in my answer (nick: GFLee) in here: Reddit - Dive into anything

It doesn't "cut" the FOV in the same way, but you can achieve similar results with it. I actually have now more fov both horizontal and vertical and about the same performance (maybe a bit worse in night+rain, but better picture quality and same fps in all other situations).

I can't remember my exact settings, but let me know if you end up having challenges to find good values for you and I'll look it up for you.

3. Akak7

Akak7 New Member

This is old as hell but is it still a thing? I have been suffering for 3 days to make my game run fluid with my rtx2060 in Quest2, only succeeding when the game ends up looking like ****

4. Akak7

Akak7 New Member

Well after spending all my free time the last days trying to configure the thing (Quest2 with RTX2060), I came to the conclusion that my system is simply not powerful enough for this. I am probably returning the headset, since I actually do not play anything GPU intensive other than this and I don't think it is worth it to upgrade everything only for this

5. dryheat94

dryheat94 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

My 2070 Super struggled with a Rift S. I imagine with a Q2, the experience would be less than ideal.

6. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

TBH if you're not blown away by VR vs looking at a flat screen then you'll probably have a long time to wait for it to get to the same visual fidelity as a monitor. The USP for VR is you get to sit in the car and drive it vs controlling a puppet that you're watching on a screen. The downside? Performance and some visual fidelity.

You can see people get 4090 for VR and spend more for ever higher resolution headsets - and there's still room for a faster GPU and higher resolution headset to improve things - whereas monitors have more or less got at good as they need to (probably at 1080p but certainly at 1440p)

I enjoyed playing in VR enough to live with Rift S and 1070, I tried my son's quest 2 and it was a jump in fidelity. I upgraded my gpu to 3060ti since then but this game is probably as good as it gets in VR.

The big downside for sims is that you ideally want to look into the distance and this is the worst part of the viewing. Games like Half-life Alex make all the action relatively closer and thus look a lot better because you're not looking at the blurry bit. I find chasing other vehicles (AI or whatever) gives you something to focus on close and improves the experience for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Any thoughts on the new to be released Pimax Crystal Light?
    Will my system drive this light version? It all sound like this is a VR set for me. Ordered a Quest 3 but perhaps I have to rethink this and go for the Pimax after all.
    I have to wait until the reviews to see if this is something for me.
    Pimax Crystal Light Pre-order Fee | Pimax

8. Mista

Mista New Member

Is there a way for the developers to integrate invidias dlss3 or amd FSR 3 frame generation or even include the api from openxXR update 1.1 foveated rendering? We VR user only have to use GPUs with raw restarize power, but even my 4090 is getting hot for power my pimax crystal.
    Please do not ignore VR users. The way to set render vehicles was a good step. And you can think to integrate Frame generation or foveated rendering like quad views.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. ulotrix

ulotrix Member

I don't know if it's technically possible but I'd like to see that AMS2 supports Dynamic Foveated Rendering and/or DLSS. DFR is crucial to push the limits of FPS on the VR. I currently limit the vertical fov on Quest 3 but more headsets are coming with higher resolution, we need to have DFR to utilize them properly. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tuborg

Tuborg New Member

Yes!

You can listen to reviews of Pimax Crystal!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

To the best of my knowledge frame generation features like dlss3 and fsr3 do not work in VR but only in desktop mode

frame generation in VR is ASW for oculus or smoothing in steamvr

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. GogglesPaesano

GogglesPaesano Member AMS2 Club Member

Would love to have Dynamic Foveated Rendering as the posters above suggested!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tuborg

Tuborg New Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

DLSS in non-VR can greatly improve performance, but in VR DLSS looks AWFUL, you are much better off reducing the resolution scaling within your VR headset settings, or in the case of Quest 3 just using "potato" quality.

15. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Since I use AMD, I never used dlss, but since I consider fsr (even 1.0) use essential for vr, I can hardly understand dlss would be worse.

Fsr significantly improves sharpness of the screen for reverb G2 using it in open composite with XR tools.

16. ulotrix

ulotrix Member

Okay, then I'm okay to have DFR as it would give headroom to increase the scale as well. :)

17. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

well it took sometime, there where some troubles with the store and delivery and the parcel service. But finally,tomorrow it will be delivered. (Quest 3). Link cable will be here next Sunday. Headstrap BoboVR s3 is currently out of stock. So I have to use the standard which comes with the Quest 3.
    I presume I can use VD from meta store as well? it is the same application. I noticed that I purchased it at the time I just had my Rift CV1. Already 8 years ago:eek:.
    Anyway, I hope I can get the whole setup working with a reasonable FPS. (Steady 90 would be nice)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jason Bradshaw

Jason Bradshaw Member

Am i the only one seeing water spray clipping into the cockpit on this latest update? Is it just a VR thing? Ive got a Quest 3

19. Koering

Koering New Member

@Shodan0000
    So, you are using FSR instead of CAS to sharpen the image (corner signs etc.)?
    Can you please post your FSR settings and resolution pls?

I run a 4080 and have to use a resolution of ca. 2900x2900 or so with CAS in order to achieve 90FPS with more or less medium settings in AMS2.

20. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

FSR and CAS are two different things FSR is an upscaling solution, so you set a percentage of the orignally requested resolution and FSR upscales that. This gives the benefit of reducing load on the gpu. There is a sharpening pass applied after this upscaling. But FSR will reduce image quality as will NIS

CAS is contrast adaptive sharpening and it is just a sharpening pass, if you don't need the performance benefits of FSR, just use this instead to sharpen your image or you can sharpen it through dx11 config file in your AMS 2 Documents folder.