1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have both P4 and Q3 would definitely choose the Q3 over the Pico. It's a nicer piece of hardware with better software. I prefer the image and usability that Virtual Desktop provides, but high bitrate 700mbs+ using the link cable is really good to, definitely better performance there.

On the more budget friendly side of things and if just for simracing/wired VR, the pico neo 3 link would be a good shout if you could find one. But I think in terms of new stock it's discontinued?

And going up in price bracket the Crystal Light is probably the most interesting option caveat being it's a new piece of hardware which personally I prefer to avoid until the kinks have been ironed a little.

2. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The Pimax Crystal (light) is amazing for AMS2. Especially with local dimming. But you need a GPU that can handle it, minimum 4070TI I would say but preferable is a 4090.

3. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

I was considering the crystal light but at $1670 AUD for that vs $645 AUD for PSVR2 + adapter, the choice was made a bit easier. Just ordered the psvr2

4. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Actually, this is turning out to be a pretty good solution for power whilst playing with Link Cable. I used a 45W plug into a USB Hub (bought one just for this) and whilst the headset still complains that its getting reduced power, I only used 5% battery when playing flat out for 30 minutes.

Pretty happy with that. Headset chews up 1% / minute otherwise so its a vast improvement. It's a hungry beast. And as you say, take headset off (even still connected via Oculus Link) and it starts charging up.

Yeah, we are getting screwed on Pimax Crystal Light pricing here in AUS (As per usual).

Last edited: Aug 27, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Thanks for all responses to my initial question

Today I have purchased the meta quest 3 with the official link cable. My gaming laptop is as follows….MSI laptop…..13th generation intel i9-13950…..16GB ram…..2.2Ghz…..NVIDIA RTX 4080.

I heard people mention bit rates etc etc but I am just looking for a good set up for meta quest 3 with my specs

If anyone can assist it is much appreciated

thanks in advance

• Like Like x 1
  6. chonk

You probably have opencomposite setup already? Only other thing you'll need is the quest link software, not sure if it's the same software the rift uses. You'll make some adjustments using the Oculus Debug Tool, which lives in one of the install folders and that's basically it.

If you have questions when it arrives, just shout. Also congrats. It's a really nice upgrade.

7. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Thanks.

I have never used opencomposite before (don’t know what it is and I am not very good with techy stuff). When I used to use the rift s I just plugged it in and clicked on devices. I assume the quest 3 will be the same.
    I was more referring to bitrates as I see some people say it makes a difference. I’ll see how it goes when I try it later

thanks again

8. Colfin22

Colfin22 New Member

I get better performance in Oculus mode than open composite with a link cable. This game supports it. Try that first

9. chonk

Yeah, they'll be a little bit of tinkering you'll want to do to get the most out of it. Adjusting the bitrate is unavoidable. But it's pretty painless. As I said if you need a hand getting setup just shout. I'll go through it with you here or on discord, whatever.

10. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Thanks Chonk. I’ll have a bash at tinkering tomorrow. I’ve got it working, it’s just about tinkering a bit to optimise

thanks

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dmand

Dmand Active Member

That should do nicely.
    I would try it on default for now until you get used to it and figure out how it all works before digging into things like 'opencomposite" and oculus debug tool. If you are not satisfied then you can try tinkering. I just use default tools like the debug tool. I don't mess with any of that extra stuff. I have Quest 3 8700k 6900xt and link cable, so you should be better off then me and i'm happy mostly.

EDIT.
    Yeah bitrate and ASW are the only things i usually mess with but its quite simple as mentioned

12. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

I have left the quest 3 settings as recommended. I disable the ASW in debug tool.
    What is best bitrate to try?
    does anyone have a screenshot of debug tool settings for quest 3 with link cable.

thanks in advance

13. ElliottT

ElliottT New Member

Here's mine. (First time uploading here. Hopefully, it works!)

Nope. I can't upload a photo. Sorry.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2024
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. noel spence

noel spence Member AMS2 Club Member

i tried too didnt work , i set mine too 500 if i go above i sometimes get stutter, and i dont see a great deal of difference anyway
    One thing is you have to disable encode dynamic bitrate

Last edited: Sep 2, 2024
  15. chonk

There you go, I set my bitrate to 700 because the encoder on my card starts to struggle above that. You should be able to set yours to 900 but if you start to see errors you can lower it. The text field will only let you type in values up to 500 but, you can copy and paste in values above that.

I think "Encode Resolution Width" can go up to 4090ish it should actually be a higher value for the headset just meta have not made a change to the upper value for the Q3. No big deal.

You can play around with distortion curve if you like, low will evenly distribute pixels across the image where as high will make the image sharper toward the center. I just leave it on default.

"Link Sharpening" set to quality as it makes use of the Snapdragon super resolution feature of the xr2 gen2 chip on the headset.

And if you're struggling for a few fps at a given resolution and/or ingame settings you can play around with FOV Tangent-Multiplier. It will cull the FOV so you get the same pixel density without stretching the image to fit the screens. Small changes like setting it to 0.9;0.8 will give you a small bump in fps while being barely noticeable.
    ODT_settings.png

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Brilliant. Thanks a million. I will try this out tomorrow when I have more time for tinkering.
    Do you have an nvidia card because I was wondering if it’s worth my while using the Nvidia control panel.
    Thanks once again I really appreciate your help

17. easy81

easy81 Member

I would like to understand how to completely eliminate these damned micro shots. I set a frequency of 72hz in the Cristal light and even though it is with non-exaggerated settings and frames always fixed at 72fps I still notice these microlags. The same thing happened to me with the Hp G2.

18. noel spence

noel spence Member AMS2 Club Member

many thanks to the other blokes giving a hand

19. Fatih

Fatih Member

Did exact same settings, the last one which was a Game Changer was Link Sharpening. After that the quality of the picture was really good!

what I also use for more stable fps is VRPerfkit_RSF and Fixed Foveated Rendering. Picture is same good quality for me but the load on my hardware is much less.

20. LostPatrol

LostPatrol Member

Have you got HAGS turned on? AMS2 doesn't always like HAGS, try turning it off rebooting and then fire up AMS2. Turning HAGS off does impact what settings you can use on some games though, for example in DCS World with HAGS off I can't select DLSS on my Nvidia card so if turning it off works for you on AMS2 just remember that you might need to turn it back on for other games.