1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Erik Green

Erik Green New Member

How do we use the new Pimax OpenXR mode in AMS2. Is the game directly compatible with OpenXR or is the Opencomposite DLL still required to get the game to run in OpenXR mode. What about the new Pimax FFR modes? What needs to be done to get that working?

Thanks a lot for the information!

2. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

AMS2 will run in OpenXR mode however, I have issues getting it to work with the OpenXR Toolkit enabled. If you have trouble launching AMS2 in OpenXR, try disabling the toolkit.

FFR should work as far as I know but, hoping for better results when Pimax provides native OpenComposite support. The DLL file is no longer required when using the latest version.

3. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Actually, I had not tried turning shadows on again since I upgraded from my Rift S to the PSVR2, so gave it another go. With shadows on low, although still jaggy, not nearly as bad as on the Rift S so will run with these shadows on for now. I did need to reduce the render resolution again from 3000x to 2800x to have enough headroom to enable the shadows

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

For NVidia users, is nice to use the driver MSAA mask (named VRSS), to just apply MSAA in center of image. AMS2 isn't listed as suported, and you will need to do this:

Reddit - Dive into anything

5. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Not a very clear topic on reddit if you ask me.

6. Ernesto_171

But works. Just a driver MSAA mask, like in DCS settings. Works really nice.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Ok it is enabled in the NVidia settings, but in game I can't see any difference

8. Ernesto_171

If you can't see any visual difference, it's good. With "always on" I gain FPS with the fixed MSAA mask and can't see any relevant degradation in visuals too. Aliasing problems in AMS2 and PCCars 2 are bigger in far objects in central screen. VRSS is FPS for free.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bull Shark

I don’t speak Italian but I will dive in to it. If it makes the distant objects more clear.

10. Ernesto_171

Looks the same, with the quality of MSAA you set in game and ALL other settings. The only difference is that VRSS uses MSAA not in all frame, just in center. Look the same, runs better with same settings.

11. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member AMS2 Club Member

To be honest I don't see any performance improvement either...

I don't know if I forget something in the AMS2 gfx settings?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2024
  12. Bull Shark

Ahh ok, then it is not necessary for me as I already have a steady 90fps with all settings maxed out, :D

13. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Tried VRSS on and off. No difference here. Similar gpu usage, frametimes, appGPU for 5 laps Formula V10 Gen1 race at Interlagos. Actually go worse performance in the pit lane with VRSS on
    Screenshot 2024-10-03 180410.png

14. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Correction: the above was with VRSS on adaptive. When I set to Always On the performance is much worse with low fps and higher frame times. I'll be leaving this off
    Screenshot 2024-10-03 181850.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Ernesto_171

Here always on give better performance, but adaptative, no, with MSAA medium.

16. jpmmuc

jpmmuc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

For me there is no way to drive without shadows. Even if I don't like this flickering.
    BTW: RaceRoom made a good update on the shadows in the last graphics overhaul.

So after changing to PSVR2 (from Valve Index) I also started the fiddeling with the settings and came to the same settings -> MSAA Medium and SteamVR about 3200 px resolution per eye.

One thing I don't understand is the Super Sampling Setting in the Virtual Reality Menu.
    It seems to do nothing. I tried 1.0 up to 1.6 and I could see that the values changed in the config files but in my HMD there was no change, also no change in the performance graph of fpsVR.

Any ideas for this? o_O

Example for Super Sampling 1.2:
    graphicsconfigopenvrdx11.xml
    <prop name="GraphicsLevel" graphicslevel="4" />
    <prop name="SuperSampling" supersampling="0" />
    <prop name="LowSuperSampling" lowsupersampling="0" />
    <prop name="VRSuperSampling" vrsupersampling="2" />
    openvrsettings.xml
    <prop name="ResScale" data="1.2" />

BTW: The slider in the menu is bugged since years.

17. delfosm

delfosm New Member AMS2 Club Member

This is only for Oculus VR users as it was in PC2.

• Informative Informative x 3
  18. wickfut

wickfut Member

I think it's tied to MSAA. It seemed to work when MSAA set to high. I think it's similar to Nvidia control panel "Enhance the application settings" in AA mode, which supersamples the AA edges.

19. Xenix74

Xenix74 Member

Ouch....I discovered a terrible setting error in my setup and wanted to share this with you because I think I'm probably not the only one. Because after I noticed and corrected this, I almost no longer understand where AMS2 should have problems with AA.

It looks fantastic ironed now (well, except at night...but much better here too) This is about Oculus3, but other glasses may have similar settings.

To make it short. When I started playing AMS2 I read somewhere in the forum the tip that changing an .ini file can sharpen the image. Also works perfectly and wonderfully.

At some point there was an Oculus update where Meta gave us a sharpening filter in the debug tool. So you can imagine the rest.

Of course I tried this function at some point. Maybe with HL Alyx or Boneworks. I tested it with some game and of course I FORGOT IT! So double sharpness filters... nice ****!

After I simply deactivated sharpness in the debug tool, my AA problems were almost gone completely solved. Guys, if you also have a quest and have edited the .ini file, check in the DebugTool whether you sharpen it twice!

It ruins AA!

• Informative Informative x 3
  20. Bull Shark

Nice reading. Will check this out myself. :D
    Do you mean the “ link Sharpening”? If so, I see this is set to “quality”

Last edited: Oct 9, 2024