1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Xenix74

Xenix74 Member

Yes the Link Sharpening. Disable it when you have change the .ini file like me.

2. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Isn’t it better to don’t use the sharpening filter and use the link sharpening from the debug tool. lol,

will both put it the test. That is the drawback of VR . Always tweaking. With my triple monitor setup I just had to setup it once and done. Oh well, I use VR for such a long time by now, I get used to tweak en re-tweak. :D

Last edited: Oct 16, 2024 at 8:34 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  3. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

Tell me about it :)
    I just returned to VR with a Quest 3, and it is double the tweaking, with both Quest Link via USB and Virtual Desktop via WiFi...

Pros and cons with both methods, and I'm constantly changing opinion about what is best.

(Come to think of it, it is triple the tweaking, with VD I have to choose between Steam VR runtime or OpenComposite and VDXR runtime...)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bull Shark

Yeah I really haven’t decide what looks best, Oculus VR, Steam VR, OpenComposit, VD, etc etc.

• Like Like x 1
  5. torsteinvh

My current favourite is Virtual Desktop 120Hz with SSW always on :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bull Shark

But it is a bit strange. With USB you should get a less compressed image. Although I do like VD as well.

7. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

I tried directly plugged into PC and i could never escape the problems of having random 1-2 fps drops almost all the time and also the bitrate being too low otherwise my audio would start cutting out.

Since using Virtual Desktop and 320 bitrate i am hitting smooth 72 fps and the bitrate compression artifacts are very few and far between, latency also good. Also it takes just a few secodns to hop into VR unlike with the link cable where you have to fiddle constantly for a minute to get it running.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. torsteinvh

Yes, purely looking at image quality USB seems to edge VD, but I'm only really noticing it on large areas of the same colour, such as the sky.
    I've also started to play around with OpenKneeboard and the passthrough function in VD to see my button box, something that AFAIK is not possible with Oculus Link.

I've not had any problems with the cable myself, but as you say VD is just quicker and easier :)
    It only takes a few seconds for instance to turn down framerate and/or streaming quality for wet races at night compared to Oculus Link.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bull Shark

I have no problems with a few minutes more and my system can handle AMS2 in VR with almost all maxed out, only shadow medium and trackside objects(or how is it called) to high. Get a steady 90fps.
    That said, in VD there are way more options and somehow I get the feeling that the Image is slightly more clear.

• Like Like x 1
  10. wickfut

wickfut Member

Why? it's the exact same image data being sent. The only difference between USB and WIFI is that you don't get the extra 5 ms network latency with the USB

11. dryheat94

dryheat94 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Different Codecs. VD has it's own VDXR codec when using OpenComposite. I used cable at first, but after using VD for a week, there was no going back. Uninstalled the Meta software and life has been so much less complicated since. VD is a fantastic piece of software.

Edit: I wish they had the foresight to abbreviate it VDT from the beginning, for obvious reason.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Erik Green

Erik Green New Member

Unable to test right now, but; If AMS2 can be run in Pimax OpenXR mode without opencomposite, can Openkneeboard be used to display Telemetry overlays?
    Or, better question: how can I display Telemetry overlays in AMS2 with a Pimax headset?
    TIA

13. noel spence

noel spence Member AMS2 Club Member

Does anyone have trouble with graphics card overheating with vd , I have tried all settings without luck , it works fine with link cable but with vd the fans go nuts , this is with a7900xtx and a 5600x

14. torsteinvh

No, I notice no difference on my system. Similar temperatures with link cable and VD. 7900GRE / 5800X, so quite similar to yours.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

4070 Super arrived. With a 5800X and a Quest 2 can max everything in game and run with 0.675/0.375 FOV (my helmet default view) with 650 bitrate and 1.1 supersampling, fixed 90Hz with only a bit of ASW in thuderstorm in cars with headlights on.

I'm good now for 1.6. this GPU is really good.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2024
  16. LostPatrol

LostPatrol Member

Are you showing a significantly higher GPU load when running VD? That's the most obvious thing. Maybe you have a setting on in VD that is making the GPU work a lot harder and ramping up the temperatures.

It would be odd for the temps and fans to perform differently if the GPU load is the same.

• Like Like x 1
  17. noel spence

yes its quite strange i also have it set to 72 fps and with link cable i can set it to 90 fps and that still runs a lot cooler , i will check the load in the amd software cheers guys for replies

18. noel spence

ok i think i found it ,it seemed to be the desktop app settings they were maxed out now i am getting 79c temps at lower fan speeds with a field of 24 in clear conditions without the card sounding like a jet engine .What temps and fan speeds do you guys get

19. noel spence

no its doing it again like a boeing aircraft

20. Xenix74

Xenix74 Member

Yes, that was my plan too. At the weekend, bring the .ini file back to default and try out the sharpening filters from the DebugTool alone.

• Like Like x 1